MLB 2009 Season

Anybody else here find it odd that "Pudge" Rodriguez is still unsigned for the '09 season?

He is asking for too much. Heavy rumor is the Marlins want to sign him BACK....but he wants a long term contract...:confused:

...I love Pudge, one of my favorite ALL TIME players.....but he is crazy if he thinks they are gonna ink him for anything more than 2 years(and the 2nd year an option).

Ivan Rodriguez, the 14-time All-Star catcher who remains an unsigned free agent, said on Sunday that his options might have come down to three teams -- or none.
Speaking to the Associated Press, Rodriguez listed his choices as the Marlins, Astros or Mets.

Or none of the above. Rodriguez also suggested he may "need to stay patient," implying that a contract may not be forthcoming before the start of the season.

Rodriguez is in Florida, where he is preparing to again catch for Team Puerto Rico in next month's World Baseball Classic.

Earlier this offseason, he declared himself to be in his best shape in years and vowed that whichever team signed him would not regret it.

"I'm in great shape," Rodriguez said. "Whoever gets me, it's going to be a lot like hitting the lotto. I'm back in the shape I was in 2004. I'm at 195 to 200 [pounds], and I'm ready to go."

Pudge prefers Mets, Marlins, Astros | MLB.com: News

http://www.freep.com/article/200902...ins+considering+bringing+back+Pudge+Rodriguez

He is asking for too much. Heavy rumor is the Marlins want to sign him BACK....but he wants a long term contract...:confused:

...I love Pudge, one of my favorite ALL TIME players.....but he is crazy if he thinks they are gonna ink him for anything more than 2 years(and the 2nd year an option).

Ivan Rodriguez, the 14-time All-Star catcher who remains an unsigned free agent, said on Sunday that his options might have come down to three teams -- or none.
Speaking to the Associated Press, Rodriguez listed his choices as the Marlins, Astros or Mets.

Or none of the above. Rodriguez also suggested he may "need to stay patient," implying that a contract may not be forthcoming before the start of the season.

Pudge prefers Mets, Marlins, Astros | MLB.com: News

Report: Marlins considering bringing back Pudge Rodriguez | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

I knew the Marlins were talking , and the Astro's lost Ausmus over the off season.

Jimbo

I knew the Marlins were talking , and the Astro's lost Ausmus over the off season.

Jimbo

The Marlins are VERY high on the Baker kids behind the plate but he might be a year behind before he can take the full load....and picking up Pudge would help stabilize the pitching staff.....hmmmm...very similar to the last time he played for the Marlins...IF the Marlins pick him up AND he SAYS he is in the shape he is in....and has JUST a Pudge like year......hitting around .300 20-100 ....and start about 140 games....you heard it here 1st....the Marlins WILL be in the playoffs!!;)

That’s what they get for building a park on the ocean.

- Oil Can Boyd, after a 1986 Red Sox-Indians game at Cleveland Municipal Stadium (on the shore of Lake Erie) was postponed due to fog.

In December, I heard that the Red Sox were making some tweaks to their logos- a new hat logo and new road uniforms.

At the time, Bill was on hiatus, but now I'd like to get his opinion.

Honestly, I don't know if it's a good idea. Why mess with a uniform that has meant nothing but success? (Clinched their 2004 and 2007 World Titles on the road, and the game that sealed their 3-0 comeback over the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS were also on the road)

I understand what the Red Sox are trying to do, but I don't think it's a good idea to tinker with uniforms after a period of success (After winning back-to-back titles in their respective sports, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Houston Rockets changed their logos- neither has won a title since, and some of their fans think it was a jinx).

As far as getting Pudge, thats a risk. He could be too old. The Mets have had enough of dealing with old guys. I dont what he could bring to the table. If he says hes lost weight and in good shape, maybe you take a flyer on him.

As far as getting Pudge, thats a risk. He could be too old. The Mets have had enough of dealing with old guys. I dont what he could bring to the table. If he says hes lost weight and in good shape, maybe you take a flyer on him.

If the Mets sign Pudge they better make sure they sign his steroids too. He's not very good without them. ;)

Sandra

If the Mets sign Pudge they better make sure they sign his steroids too. He's not very good without them. ;)

Sandra

What a dumb comment, do you think someone of his caliber would take the risk of doing this with all the attention and the testing they do now?:confused:

I mean if you REALLY mean that, the same can be said about Andy Pettit....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wish the Red Sox and Dodgers were playing each other this season:eek::

Larry Bowa reacts to Brad Penny

By Tony Jackson on February 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | ShareThis

When told of Penny's comments about him this morning, Larry Bowa didn't even wait to find out what those comments were. He just went right into this beautiful little rant:
``You mean the same guy who was never on time, out of shape and has one complete game? He has more stuff to worry about in the A.L. East than me. He has to worry about getting people out. He was never on time, was out of shape and never helped the kids out. Put that on the (expletive) dot-com. Put it in the headline.''
Just to clarify, Brad has three career complete games. Larry might have been referring to the fact he had only ONE CG in his 4 1/2 seasons with the Dodgers, that a 2-1 duel with Pedro Martinez in which Jason Werth hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth to beat the Mets. But Bowa's point is not lost, nevertheless.
Wait, there's more:
``He never watched the game (when he was on the DL). Jason Schmidt watched the games. Nomar Garciaparra watched the games. Mark Sweeney watched the games. You go right down the line, everybody who was on the DL watched the games. But not him. He was out of there.''
And finally, there was this:
``I'm in everybody's corner when they work. When they're lazy and don't work. I could give a (well, you get the picture).''
Joe Torre and Ned Colletti basically declined comment, but Joe did say something funny.
``I don't want to talk about that,'' he said. ``I'll write about that in my next book.''
Ned, who loves to wear cowboy boots, pointed out that Brad had promised to send him a couple of pairs but hasn't done so yet. Other than that, Ned had little to say.
To the best of my knowledge, Larry STILL doesn't know exactly what Brad said about him. We never got the chance to tell him.

Wow.......................them is fightin' words!! :D

Oil Can Boyd wants another chance at the bigs at age 49 - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Bill, you know all about this crazy cat.

What do you think of this idea?
Why not bring back "The Bird" while they're at it - he's only 55. ;) Remember him? I loved that guy!

get_image

Why not bring back "The Bird" while they're at it - he's only 55. ;) Remember him? I loved that guy!

get_image

Mark Fidrych was the best! :up

I'll never forget, in "The Bird's" rookie year, he was pitching on "Monday Night Baseball" in Tiger Stadium.

The place was electric, and Howard Cosell was going crazy! :)

Mark Fidrych was the best! :up

I'll never forget, in "The Bird's" rookie year, he was pitching on "Monday Night Baseball" in Tiger Stadium.

The place was electric, and Howard Cosell was going crazy! :)
laughing.gif
I remember those games. Every time he pitched on TV the bars were packed! Even non-MLB fans got a kick out of that guy.

U1875604.jpg
22693_lg.jpg

I was at this game at Pawtucket, RI in 1982:

Fidrych was attemping a comeback with the Red Sox, ("The Bird" is a Mass. native) and Dave Righetti was attempting to come back for the Yankees.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYTl0dLNzhI"]YouTube - Double-comeback? Mark "The Bird" Fidrych vs. Dave Righetti[/ame]

Hey BillD, you missed a slimmed down Ryan Howard. saw an interview on Phillies.com where he told the reporter he was trying to get faster so he could steal some bases. Can't understand why they laughed. By the way, welcome back. You were missed.

Hey BillD, you missed a slimmed down Ryan Howard. saw an interview on Phillies.com where he told the reporter he was trying to get faster so he could steal some bases. Can't understand why they laughed. By the way, welcome back. You were missed.

Thanks a lot buddy, I appreciate that! :)

A slimmed down Ryan Howard?

Now THAT'S a scary proposition for NL pitchers! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)