MLB 2009 Season

So, will there be another overseas series of games?

Bill, I know your BoSox played a few games against the A's in Japan last season to kick off 2008.

So, will there be another overseas series of games?

Bill, I know your BoSox played a few games against the A's in Japan last season to kick off 2008.

6 AM baseball was awesome!!! But I'm glad the Sox don't have all that travel to look forward to.

If you recall last year, Sox-A's opened the regular season with a two game series in Japan (Tue. and Wed morning 6am ET). From there the Sox went BACK to exhibition play against the Dodgers , for a two game exhibition series in Los Angeles (including a Saturday night game at the LA Coliseum before 115,000 people).

Then the Sox reopened the regular season with two games in Oakland, then went up to Toronto for a three game weekend series. They finally came home for Boston opening day and received their championship rings and raised the banner.

THAT was an exhausting two weeks through three countries! :eek:

6 AM baseball was awesome!!! But I'm glad the Sox don't have all that travel to look forward to.

If you recall last year, Sox-A's opened the regular season with a two game series in Japan (Tue. and Wed morning 6am ET). From there the Sox went BACK to exhibition play against the Dodgers , for a two game exhibition series in Los Angeles (including a Saturday night game at the LA Coliseum before 115,000 people).

Then the Sox reopened the regular season with two games in Oakland, then went up to Toronto for a three game weekend series. They finally came home for Boston opening day and received their championship rings and raised the banner.

THAT was an exhausting two weeks through three countries! :eek:

And one of the stupidest things I've ever seen ....
Open the season and then play more exhibition games :(

Jimbo

From there the Sox went BACK to exhibition play against the Dodgers , for a two game exhibition series in Los Angeles (including a Saturday night game at the LA Coliseum before 115,000 people).

I was there and I will NEVER EVER forget that night! It was a giant step back in L.A. and BASEBALL history!:D

Bill, you weren't back at the time I posted this, so I want to get your opinion on this:

I have not always been cool with the MLB All-Star game's rule where the managers in last year's World Series automatically are the managers for the Midsummer Classic.

Last year, Rockies manager Clint Hurdle was the N.L. manager, even though his Rockies were 18 games under .500 at midseason!

Look at 1998. Jim Leyland's Marlins were 23 games below 500 and 26.5 games out of the division lead at the All-Star break that year. (I know the circumstances of what happened to the team, but you get my drift).

There have been other situations where a manager whose team makes the World Series one year stinks the following year.

Why can't they do what the NBA and NHL do- allow the coaches of the team with their respective league's best record do so.

Maybe, just maybe, the NL could end their drought if managers with better records were allowed to do so.

Who knows how history may have changed?

If MLB used the format I'd like to see, Bobby Cox would have managed the National League in the 2002 All-Star Game instead of Bob Brenly. I guarantee you that if an experieneced and great manager like Cox was in charge that night in Milwaukee, I insist that there would have been NO tie!

Bill, you weren't back at the time I posted this, so I want to get your opinion on this:

I have not always been cool with the MLB All-Star game's rule where the managers in last year's World Series automatically are the managers for the Midsummer Classic.

Last year, Rockies manager Clint Hurdle was the N.L. manager, even though his Rockies were 18 games under .500 at midseason!

Look at 1998. Jim Leyland's Marlins were 23 games below 500 and 26.5 games out of the division lead at the All-Star break that year. (I know the circumstances of what happened to the team, but you get my drift).

There have been other situations where a manager whose team makes the World Series one year stinks the following year.

Why can't they do what the NBA and NHL do- allow the coaches of the team with their respective league's best record do so.

Maybe, just maybe, the NL could end their drought if managers with better records were allowed to do so.

Who knows how history may have changed?

If MLB used the format I'd like to see, Bobby Cox would have managed the National League in the 2002 All-Star Game instead of Bob Brenly. I guarantee you that if an experieneced and great manager like Cox was in charge that night in Milwaukee, I insist that there would have been NO tie!

Sorrry Sabres,
It's just an exhibition, doesn't count ....
You really think the manager plays that much into the outcome that it matters ?

IF it really counted, they would not have the fans vote on the players, also the starter would play the game like it was a real game, not just a few innings, starting pitchers would not be pulled after 2 innings ect, ect, ect....

Jimbo

Sorrry Sabres,
It's just an exhibition, doesn't count ....
You really think the manager plays that much into the outcome that it matters ?

IF it really counted, they would not have the fans vote on the players, also the starter would play the game like it was a real game, not just a few innings, starting pitchers would not be pulled after 2 innings ect, ect, ect....

Jimbo

The game may be considered "exhibition", but in reality, it's more meaningful than any other major sports All-Star games. The winner of course, earns home field advantage in the World Series for their respective league.

The game may be considered "exhibition", but in reality, it's more meaningful than any other major sports All-Star games. The winner of course, earns home field advantage in the World Series for their respective league.

Out of all the major sports all star games, it is the closest to being played like a regular game. You do have some all star moments here and there. I forgot the picthers name but when he threw a softball down the middle for Cal Ripken to hit a HR in his last all star game. Though compared to other all pro all star games, not even close

This means NOTHING .... If it was suppose to mean something they would play a full game ....
That was one of the STUPIDEST things Selig ever did.

Out of all the major sports all star games, it is the closest to being played like a regular game. You do have some all star moments here and there. I forgot the picthers name but when he threw a softball down the middle for Cal Ripken to hit a HR in his last all star game. Though compared to other all pro all star games, not even close

It may be the closest to a real game, it's still just for show.
Most of the players beg off and don't show up, just like the NFL does.

ANGELS 12, ROCKIES 3
at Tucson, Ariz.
Monday, March 2
Angels at the plate: Jeff Mathis homered twice and Brandon Wood went deep once, all in the first three innings. Wood also doubled and singled.

WHEW! Finally got that HR drought off their backs.:up

ANGELS 12, ROCKIES 3
at Tucson, Ariz.
Monday, March 2
Angels at the plate: Jeff Mathis homered twice and Brandon Wood went deep once, all in the first three innings. Wood also doubled and singled.

WHEW! Finally got that HR drought off their backs.:up

Ya know, .... it had to happen sooner or later .....
ya know NOTHING counts in spring training !

Jimbo

Good article about Spring Training and how 'the tide has changed' as far as teams going from Florida to Arizona.

Tide has turned in Spring Training debate

Tracy Ringolsby, FOXSports.com

March 3, 2009, 12:14 AM EST - TUCSON - In the early '90s, Florida was ready to raid the spring training camps in Arizona. MLB Spring Training Ken Rosenthal and our MLB crew have you covered this spring. Check out the latest news and notes.

The folks in Homestead convinced Cleveland to leave Tucson, where the Indians had trained since 1947, and move to that city just south of Miami for the spring of 1993. Several Florida communities also were putting the press on the expansion Colorado Rockies to train in the Sunshine State.

The Rockies finally decided to move into Cleveland's old headquarters at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson for that 1993 season because of the strong geographic ties between the Rocky Mountains and desert southwest.

At the time, the Rockies were credited with saving the Cactus League, allowing it to maintain eight teams, which made scheduling easier and blunting Florida's attempt to lure another team or two.

Now look at things.

The Cactus League is alive and well, and the Grapefruit League has soured.

Even the Indians have decided to return to Arizona, moving into a new complex in Goodyear this spring, ending their 17-year hiatus that never did go smoothly. The Homestead area was hit by a hurricane, and the Indians' proposed new complex was unplayable in 1993, leading to the Indians backing out of that deal. Instead, they moved into Boston's old facility in Winter Haven.

"I do feel the natural disasters in reach years have hurt communities when it comes to funding projects," said Cleveland general manager Mark Shapiro, who was in his second year as a member of the Indians front office when the move to Florida was made.

Now, it is Shapiro who was instrumental in the Indians returning to Arizona, moving into the Goodyear facility where they'll be joined by the other major league team from Ohio, the Cincinnati Reds, next year. Even though the Indians were gone from Arizona for 17 springs, Shapiro feels they will still have some fans comfortable with the return because of their long history in the start, and he feels the addition of the Reds next year will kindle interest in Ohio because of the presence of both teams.

"There is no doubt, for fans, there is a more natural tie to Florida because it is closer and it is the same time zone," said Shapiro. "At the same time, we will have older fans who haven't forgotten our history in Arizona, and the proximity of the Reds (who will share the same stadium for games) will help create a strong Ohio interest."

The Indians are a central figure in the back-and-forth spring training power struggle. They, however, are not alone in the migration west in recent years

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Tide has turned in Spring Training debate

Good article about Spring Training and how 'the tide has changed' as far as teams going from Florida to Arizona.

Tide has turned in Spring Training debate

Tracy Ringolsby, FOXSports.com

March 3, 2009, 12:14 AM EST - TUCSON - In the early '90s, Florida was ready to raid the spring training camps in Arizona. MLB Spring Training Ken Rosenthal and our MLB crew have you covered this spring. Check out the latest news and notes.

The folks in Homestead convinced Cleveland to leave Tucson, where the Indians had trained since 1947, and move to that city just south of Miami for the spring of 1993. Several Florida communities also were putting the press on the expansion Colorado Rockies to train in the Sunshine State.

The Rockies finally decided to move into Cleveland's old headquarters at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson for that 1993 season because of the strong geographic ties between the Rocky Mountains and desert southwest.

At the time, the Rockies were credited with saving the Cactus League, allowing it to maintain eight teams, which made scheduling easier and blunting Florida's attempt to lure another team or two.

Now look at things.

The Cactus League is alive and well, and the Grapefruit League has soured.

Even the Indians have decided to return to Arizona, moving into a new complex in Goodyear this spring, ending their 17-year hiatus that never did go smoothly. The Homestead area was hit by a hurricane, and the Indians' proposed new complex was unplayable in 1993, leading to the Indians backing out of that deal. Instead, they moved into Boston's old facility in Winter Haven.

"I do feel the natural disasters in reach years have hurt communities when it comes to funding projects," said Cleveland general manager Mark Shapiro, who was in his second year as a member of the Indians front office when the move to Florida was made.

Now, it is Shapiro who was instrumental in the Indians returning to Arizona, moving into the Goodyear facility where they'll be joined by the other major league team from Ohio, the Cincinnati Reds, next year. Even though the Indians were gone from Arizona for 17 springs, Shapiro feels they will still have some fans comfortable with the return because of their long history in the start, and he feels the addition of the Reds next year will kindle interest in Ohio because of the presence of both teams.

"There is no doubt, for fans, there is a more natural tie to Florida because it is closer and it is the same time zone," said Shapiro. "At the same time, we will have older fans who haven't forgotten our history in Arizona, and the proximity of the Reds (who will share the same stadium for games) will help create a strong Ohio interest."

The Indians are a central figure in the back-and-forth spring training power struggle. They, however, are not alone in the migration west in recent years

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Tide has turned in Spring Training debate

You mean the Tigers are playing in the wrong Spring Training League?:rolleyes:
No wonder we sucked last season.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)