MLB 2010 Season

I wonder why this type of thing happens a lot to phenoms. Is it because they are usually rushed along to the majors before they are really ready??
Tony Gwinn protected him at SDSU, only having him pitch once a week. The Nats might have pushed too hard, or maybe he just doesn't have the strongest arm structure.

An interesting King Felix stat came out of last night's Sox-Mariners broadcast:

In Felix's 10 losses this year, the Mariners have supported him with a total of 10 runs.

I just looked up those ten games. In six of them, he had "quality starts" of six or more innings, with three or fewer runs given up. A just result in those games would make him 16-4. There was also one game he lost in which he gave up 4 runs in seven innings. Even that performance entitled him to a 50-50 chance at winning.

On the other hand, there was a two year stretch in Sandy Koufax's career in which he went 18-4 in games in which his teammates scored 2 or FEWER runs, menaing he won 18 games by scores of 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1.:eek:

No more Strasmas for 12 to 18 months. Tommy John surgery required. The "good" news is, Tommy John surgery is often successsful, but who in hell knows what kind of a pitcher he will become.

My sympathies go to the Washington Nationals, who had really tried to minimize the strain on his arm. I'd say this topic now warrants its own thread.

No more Strasmas for 12 to 18 months. Tommy John surgery required. The "good" news is, Tommy John surgery is often successsful, but who in hell knows what kind of a pitcher he will become.

My sympathies go to the Washington Nationals, who had really tried to minimize the strain on his arm. I'd say this topic now warrants its own thread.

Josh Johnson had 'Tommy John' surgery..... And he may be one of the top righthanders in the National League since the the operation. If it weren't for the crappy middle relief that blew 8 of his leads, he could easily have 17 wins.

Out of nowhere....the Marlins have quietly crawled back into the Wildcard race.

I see they have won eight of their last ten, whereas the three teams they are trailing have been treading water.

Unfortunately, it is one thing to still have to gain five games on one team that is ahead of you, but another to have to gain it on three teams. With three teams roughly tied for the wildcard spot, Florida will have to make up that gap by winning, since the likelihood of all three competing teams underperforming is low.

The Red Sox, on the other hand, only have to catch one of the two teams they trail by five games, because the other team will win the Division crown. Basically, if the Red Sox beat Tampa Bay today and tomorrow, then they trail them by 3 in the lost column with just over 30 to play, but if they split, then they trail them by 5. There are a lot of plausible ways to make up 3 games in the loss column in the remaining month, but a lot fewer plausible ways to make up 5.

Josh Johnson had 'Tommy John' surgery..... And he may be one of the top righthanders in the National League since the the operation. If it weren't for the crappy middle relief that blew 8 of his leads, he could easily have 17 wins.
Kuo on the Dodgers had 4 of them, and when he is healthy, like he is now, he is one of the best relievers in baseball.

I see they have won eight of their last ten, whereas the three teams they are trailing have been treading water.

Unfortunately, it is one thing to still have to gain five games on one team that is ahead of you, but another to have to gain it on three teams. With three teams roughly tied for the wildcard spot, Florida will have to make up that gap by winning, since the likelihood of all three competing teams underperforming is low.

The Red Sox, on the other hand, only have to catch one of the two teams they trail by five games, because the other team will win the Division crown. Basically, if the Red Sox beat Tampa Bay today and tomorrow, then they trail them by 3 in the lost column with just over 30 to play, but if they split, then they trail them by 5. There are a lot of plausible ways to make up 3 games in the loss column in the remaining month, but a lot fewer plausible ways to make up 5.

And the Marlins are doing with terrible relief pitching and the loss of one of their better hitters and least year's ROY, Coghlin and their starting catcher suspended for 50 games.

Kuo on the Dodgers had 4 of them, and when he is healthy, like he is now, he is one of the best relievers in baseball.

Yeah, look at that! Tommy John surgery is serious but not career threatening like it use to be.

I have 3 orthroscopic knee operations from my college baseball years. That was back in in 1986. In those days, that was 8 weeks in a cast to protect the area, and 12 weeks of rehab for my operation. NOW, your rehabbing 3 weeks after the operation and playing 5 weeks after being cut open.

Sports medicine has come a very long way.

Reds win.....Cardinals lose.....Reds now up by 5 games. YAY!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)