MLB 2012 Postseason

So what if the Yankees and Orioles are tied after the regular season ends? What are the scenerios? Do they do a tie breaker with the winner winning the AL East and the loser winning the wild card? Do the Yankees and Orioles play for the AL East title? Follow up, if the Yankees and Orioles play for the AL East title, does the winner have to play in that one game playoff?

So what if the Yankees and Orioles are tied after the regular season ends? What are the scenerios? Do they do a tie breaker with the winner winning the AL East and the loser winning the wild card? Do the Yankees and Orioles play for the AL East title? Follow up, if the Yankees and Orioles play for the AL East title, does the winner have to play in that one game playoff?

I think this is the scenario that would have to happen, Selig has muddles up sooooo much that no one knows for sure anymore.

The WC one game WC at that was suppose to be the day after the season so they have time to know who actually makes it iirc ...
but now we have a PLAY IN game to get into the playoffs (think NCAA tournament teams 64-65), I presume THAT game has to take place 1st, then the next day the WC game, so either team could be starting the actual playoffs already using thier top two pitchers just to get in.

I would hate to have to wait until 9:30 to watch my team play in a do or die must watch game.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

If the Yankees and Orioles are still tied after 162 games, and they have both mathematically qualified for the playoffs, there will be a one game playoff on Thursday to determine the division winner.

This is different from past years because of the one and done scenario for the Wild Card teams.

if they end up in a tie there would be game 163 for the AL east title
winner is the division champ
loser plays the next day against the other wild card team

same as if Oakland and Texas end tied...or Washington and Atlanta...or Detroit and Chicago (even though the last 2 scenarios the leader leads by 3 games)

If the Yankees and Orioles are still tied after 162 games, and they have both mathematically qualified for the playoffs, there will be a one game playoff on Thursday to determine the division winner.

on the bolded part...if they are tied there would be a game 163 regardless

on the bolded part...if they are tied there would be a game 163 regardless

Right, but in past years there wouldn't be a game 163 if both teams already qualified. It happened in the AL East a few years ago (either 2008 or 2009, I believe).

I would hate to have to wait until 9:30 to watch my team play in a do or die must watch game.

Game 1 of the 2003 ALDS between the Red Sox and A's started at 11:00pm ET, and didn't end til around 3:30am ET. I stayed up and watched the Sox lose on a suicide squeeze in the bottom of the 14th, and I had to be at work at 6:00am.

BillD1984 said:
Game 1 of the 2003 ALDS between the Red Sox and A's started at 11:00pm ET, and didn't end til around 3:30am ET. I stayed up and watched the Sox lose on a suicide squeeze in the bottom of the 14th, and I had to be at work at 6:00am.

The next day would be a sick day for me.

Right, but in past years there wouldn't be a game 163 if both teams already qualified. It happened in the AL East a few years ago (either 2008 or 2009, I believe).

correct. They used the stupid tiebreaker (head to head) rule to see who was division winner

Yes and that was a VERY STUPID idea on the Network 's part.

Yes and that was a VERY STUPID idea on the Network 's part.
What made it worse was that game 2 was the next afternoon in Oakland (12 noon PT start). I got home in time to see the 3rd inning, after getting 1.5 hours sleep the night before.

should just be the team with the best record

Absolutely! I don't understand why MLB never did this. It's not like they can block hotel rooms in the World Series cities, without knowing who will be there until after the LCS' ends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts