MLB 2021 Season

I’ve been a Red Sox fan for nearly 50 years. I’ve been through many lows (‘75 World Series, ‘78 one game playoff loss vs. Yankees which this then 12 year old was at Fenway to witness, crushing loss to the Mets in the ‘86 World Series, the crushing loss to the Yankees in game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, to which my wife had to sit and console me for hours, the Great Collapse of 2011 followed up by the Bobby Valentine debacle of 2012, and many highs (the greatest comeback in baseball history in 2004 when the Sox came back and beat the Yankees in the ALCS after being behind in the series 3-0. Following that up by sweeping the Cardinals to win the franchise’s first World Series in 86 years. Winning the ‘07 World Series after trailing the Indians 3 games to 1 in the ALCS and then sweeping the Rockies in the WS, coming out of nowhere and winning the 2013 World Series after the embarrassment of 2011 and 2012 and the Boston Marathon terrorist attacks, going wire to wire to win the World Series in 2018 after winning a club record 119 games, and watching many great players and pitchers like David Ortiz and Pedro Martinez). Following the Red Sox all these years has metaphorically put me on a psychiatrist’s couch. But NOTHING has pissed me off to the level of what’s going on right now. This team keeps defacating all over itself after management gave their team the middle finger at the trade deadline. EVERY other AL contender got considerably better at the deadline, while the Red Sox acquired an injured “first basemen” that’s never played that position in his career and a pair of glorified batting practice pitchers (that’s being generous). I’m beyond disgusted how this team has turtled, how management sat on their hands at the trade deadline and more than anything I’m pissed off at me for believing in this team and how much I’ve invested in it. The Red Sox management doesn’t deserve that kind of loyalty.

I’ve been a Red Sox fan for nearly 50 years. I’ve been through many lows (‘75 World Series, ‘78 one game playoff loss vs. Yankees which this then 12 year old was at Fenway to witness, crushing loss to the Mets in the ‘86 World Series, the crushing loss to the Yankees in game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, to which my wife had to sit and console me for hours, the Great Collapse of 2011 followed up by the Bobby Valentine debacle of 2012, and many highs (the greatest comeback in baseball history in 2004 when the Sox came back and beat the Yankees in the ALCS after being behind in the series 3-0. Following that up by sweeping the Cardinals to win the franchise’s first World Series in 86 years. Winning the ‘07 World Series after trailing the Indians 3 games to 1 in the ALCS and then sweeping the Rockies in the WS, coming out of nowhere and winning the 2013 World Series after the embarrassment of 2011 and 2012 and the Boston Marathon terrorist attacks, going wire to wire to win the World Series in 2018 after winning a club record 119 games, and watching many great players and pitchers like David Ortiz and Pedro Martinez). Following the Red Sox all these years has metaphorically put me on a psychiatrist’s couch. But NOTHING has pissed me off to the level of what’s going on right now. This team keeps defacating all over itself after management gave their team the middle finger at the trade deadline. EVERY other AL contender got considerably better at the deadline, while the Red Sox acquired an injured “first basemen” that’s never played that position in his career and a pair of glorified batting practice pitchers (that’s being generous). I’m beyond disgusted how this team has turtled, how management sat on their hands at the trade deadline and more than anything I’m pissed off at me for believing in this team and how much I’ve invested in it. The Red Sox management doesn’t deserve that kind of loyalty.
You're not alone about the team you root for. There's a lot of people that are die hard fans for their teams in the same boat as you. You just as they say "Wait until next year". Just don't throw anything at your TV.:)

Reactions: BillD1984
Besides the NOTHING the management did for them at the trade deadline, they are playing very uninspired ball since the Trade deadline .
They were not expected to do much this year and came out and played fun winning ball thru the 1st half, then suddenly Nothing since the deadline.

Poor Chris Sale, he pitched well tonight (again) should be back in Boston soon, knowing that he'll have to be Perfect in order to do anything when hes back. (remembering back to some of the Jack Morris days in Detroit).

I cannot believe what I just witnessed from this pathetic team! What a complete and utter f****** clown show!!

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
You're not alone about the team you root for. There's a lot of people that are die hard fans for their teams in the same boat as you. You just as they say "Wait until next year". Just don't throw anything at your TV.:)

It’s not that for me though. The Red Sox have won 4 World Series since 2004. It’s management’s lack of effort to make this team better and now it’s the lackluster effort by the team

• Sad
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Besides the NOTHING the management did for them at the trade deadline, they are playing very uninspired ball since the Trade deadline .
They were not expected to do much this year and came out and played fun winning ball thru the 1st half, then suddenly Nothing since the deadline.

Poor Chris Sale, he pitched well tonight (again) should be back in Boston soon, knowing that he'll have to be Perfect in order to do anything when hes back. (remembering back to some of the Jack Morris days in Detroit).

That’s another thing I’ve been shaking my head at. Why are they wasting Sale’s bullets down in the minor leagues?? He looked very good in his first 3 or 4 starts, now get him up to the big club. When they’re trotting Garrett Richards and Martin Perez out there in these big series and the whole team can use any lift they can get, there’s no excuse for them to keep Sale down there.

Last edited:
I cannot believe what I just witnessed from this pathetic team! What a complete and utter f****** clown show!!

The Sox escaped with the win, but in all my years watching baseball I’ve never seen a team have 2 runners on with no outs and both of them getting thrown out on base running blunders.

That’s another thing I’ve been shaking my head at. Why are they wasting Sale’s bullets down in the minor leagues?? He looked very good in his first 3 or 4 starts, now get him up to the big club. When they’re trotting Garrett Richards and Martin Perez out there in these big series and the whole team can use any lift they can get, there’s no excuse for them to keep Sale down there.
I'm sure they want to stretch him out before hand, so thye don't end up pulling him in the 3rd inning for a high pitch count.

The Sox escaped with the win, but in all my years watching baseball I’ve never seen a team have 2 runners on with no outs and both of them getting thrown out on base running blunders.
I thought for sure they would lose that game after that ... figured they didn't deserve to win, but they have lost games that they were the better team, so its good to get one back.

I'm sure they want to stretch him out before hand, so thye don't end up pulling him in the 3rd inning for a high pitch count.

In a perfect world I get that, but their 4th and 5th starters have been dead men walking. They already moved Perez to the bullpen and Richards starts tomorrow. If he doesn’t pitch at least decently, I hope they DFA his ass out of town. They have Sale coming back, Pivetta has been solid, Houck has been a revelation. Eovaldi and E-Rod have been up and down lately, but I have confidence that they will be fine (especially Eovaldi). Now they have to get this lineup hitting again. Anthony Rizzo would have fit perfectly in this lineup and in the field (that’s not hindsight either).

In a perfect world I get that, but their 4th and 5th starters have been dead men walking. They already moved Perez to the bullpen and Richards starts tomorrow. If he doesn’t pitch at least decently, I hope they DFA his ass out of town. They have Sale coming back, Pivetta has been solid, Houck has been a revelation. Eovaldi and E-Rod have been up and down lately, but I have confidence that they will be fine (especially Eovaldi). Now they have to get this lineup hitting again. Anthony Rizzo would have fit perfectly in this lineup and in the field (that’s not hindsight either).
I agree entirely ....
Rizzo would look very good, what suxs most is who got him. Almost like the Boston GM talked about getting him, but never really went after him.

They could have picked up 1b Carlos Santana, even though he's a bit older ... at least he plays 1st, a Schwaburg experiment at 1b will be a hope and a prayer instead of someone that can actually PLAY the position.

I agree entirely ....
Rizzo would look very good, what suxs most is who got him. Almost like the Boston GM talked about getting him, but never really went after him.

They could have picked up 1b Carlos Santana, even though he's a bit older ... at least he plays 1st, a Schwaburg experiment at 1b will be a hope and a prayer instead of someone that can actually PLAY the position.

What I don’t understand- and I NEVER will- is the holding on to prospects AT ALL COSTS. They showed Dave Dombroski the door after he gutted the minor leagues to acquire big league talent to supplement the roster. They won it all in 2018, and trade deadline acquisitions Nathan Eovaldi and Steve Pearce (World Series MVP) made big contributions to that. Okay, the Ian Kinsler deadline trade didn’t work out, but Dombrowski was trying to solidify 2B after he learned Dustin Pedroia would not be coming back. But my point is he tried, and the result was a championship. Don’t get me wrong Dombrowski gutted the prospect pool too much, but Chaim Bloom hangs on to them like they’re gold. Why can’t there be a happy medium? Besides, isn’t the bottom line of any sport to try and win a championship? What good does hoarding prospects do, if you’re not trying to supplement the current team. Maybe he’ll strike gold in 5 years and every one of these prospects will be a home run and we’ll look back at it 5 years from now and say retrospectively thank goodness he didn’t pull the trigger on any deadline deal. You and I both know that’s highly unlikely and that’s the problem.

And also like I’ve said before, up until 2 weeks ago this team reminded me of the 2013 championship team. No one expected the Red Sox to contend that year, never mind win the World Series. Yes, a big part of that was them riding the wave of the “Boston Strong” narrative after the marathon bombings, but it was a team that the whole was greater than the sum of it’s part. That team made a major deadline trade by getting Jake Peavy from the White Sox. That made their rotation of Lester-Lackey-Peavy-Buchholz as good as anyone’s.

What I don’t understand- and I NEVER will- is the holding on to prospects AT ALL COSTS. They showed Dave Dombroski the door after he gutted the minor leagues to acquire big league talent to supplement the roster. They won it all in 2018, and trade deadline acquisitions Nathan Eovaldi and Steve Pearce (World Series MVP) made big contributions to that. Okay, the Ian Kinsler deadline trade didn’t work out, but Dombrowski was trying to solidify 2B after he learned Dustin Pedroia would not be coming back. But my point is he tried, and the result was a championship. Don’t get me wrong Dombrowski gutted the prospect pool too much, but Chaim Bloom hangs on to them like they’re gold. Why can’t there be a happy medium? Besides, isn’t the bottom line of any sport to try and win a championship? What good does hoarding prospects do, if you’re not trying to supplement the current team. Maybe he’ll strike gold in 5 years and every one of these prospects will be a home run and we’ll look back at it 5 years from now and say retrospectively thank goodness he didn’t pull the trigger on any deadline deal. You and I both know that’s highly unlikely and that’s the problem.
Dombrowski is known for that, but like you said, at least he went for a Championship.
He did the same thing in Detroit before he went to Boston ... then again at that time he had and Owner Mr. I that said "Lets Go For It !" Thats Mike Illitch btw. What a Great Owner .... Thank You Mr. I ... R.I.P.

Dombrowski is known for that, but like you said, at least he went for a Championship.
He did the same thing in Detroit before he went to Boston ... then again at that time he had and Owner Mr. I that said "Lets Go For It !" Thats Mike Illitch btw. What a Great Owner .... Thank You Mr. I ... R.I.P.

Illitch was a great owner!! The team and community were genuinely important to him, he wasn’t in it just for the investment. And most importantly, he let his baseball ops people run the team, and kept his nose out of it. I have a lot of respect for owners like that.

As far as Dombrowski goes, I knew he had that reputation. Now the Red Sox have a GM/president that’s the polar opposite. He was like that in Tampa Bay and was very successful with that business model there. But this is Boston, where they historically spend money for players. He had to be that way in Tampa Bay. Again, I just wish they could find a happy medium between the Dombrowski and Bloom business models.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Alex Cora has announced that Chris Sale will make his first Major League start in two years and one day, on Saturday vs. the Orioles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)