MLB 2022 Season

HR's are way too easy to come by now.
They play in little Band Boxes .... you can't really compare era's, although some like to.

Baseball has WAY TOO MANY numbers to worry about now.
So many that I gave up trying to figure them all out.

Give me Batting Avg and HR's and Rbi's
Also, how you do with runners in scoring position.
Doo you get the guy home from 3rd base with less than 2 outs.

All the other stuff, numbers and letters don't mean a damn thing to me if you don't win.
There's a stat for every time an outfielder moves to the left or right I believe .... (not really, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

If players were better over all players, the Shift wouldn't even exist .... good hitters would hit the ball in the hole the fielder exited and then they would no longer leave that hole ... end of the shift.

HR's are way too easy to come by now.
They play in little Band Boxes .... you can't really compare era's, although some like to.

Baseball has WAY TOO MANY numbers to worry about now.
So many that I gave up trying to figure them all out.

Give me Batting Avg and HR's and Rbi's
Also, how you do with runners in scoring position.
Doo you get the guy home from 3rd base with less than 2 outs.

All the other stuff, numbers and letters don't mean a damn thing to me if you don't win.
There's a stat for every time an outfielder moves to the left or right I believe .... (not really, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

If players were better over all players, the Shift wouldn't even exist .... good hitters would hit the ball in the hole the fielder exited and then they would no longer leave that hole ... end of the shift.
They also play 20 more games now if my memory serves me right? I remember when they added games, but it was a long time ago...70s?

The regular season ends 3 weeks from tonight. The last 2 Wildcards in the NL will come down to the Phillies, Padres and Brewers. In the AL all 3 WC spots are virtually sewn up, but the 3 teams keep flip flopping places daily in the standings. A couple things to remember with the new rules…..the new Wildcard round will be a best of 3, and the teams with HFA in those series get ALL 3 (if necessary) games in their ballpark. So getting the top Wildcard in each league is a huge advantage, and that’s why all eyes will be on what the Jays, Rays and Mariners are doing. Also important to remember that there will no longer be a “Game 163” for any purpose- whether it’s to determine a division winner, playoff berth or home field advantage. Every tie will now be broken by tiebreakers. Obviously the first tie breaker is always head to head.

IMG_0572.JPG

Justin Verlander is back pitching after taking 2-3 weeks off with a Calf issue ...
Someone asked, is Verlander still in the running for the Cy Young now ...
First game back he went 5 innings, no hits, no runs, 9k's and walk.

I can't wait till they Let him pitch into the 7th and 8th as he was before he got hurt ...

Justin Verlander is back pitching after taking 2-3 weeks off with a Calf issue ...
Someone asked, is Verlander still in the running for the Cy Young now ...
First game back he went 5 innings, no hits, no runs, 9k's and walk.

I can't wait till they Let him pitch into the 7th and 8th as he was before he got hurt ...

On the Red Sox pregame show earlier, they had one of the Sox beat writers talking about potential top shelf starters that may be available in the off-season. Rodon and deGrom were discussed at length, and then someone asked about the possibility of Verlander being available. The writer said in his opinion that he would be shocked if Verlander went anywhere. He feels that Verlander is very content and wants to retire an Astro.

Reactions: Jimbo
On the Red Sox pregame show earlier, they had one of the Sox beat writers talking about potential top shelf starters that may be available in the off-season. Rodon and deGrom were discussed at length, and then someone asked about the possibility of Verlander being available. The writer said in his opinion that he would be shocked if Verlander went anywhere. He feels that Verlander is very content and wants to retire an Astro.
The Red Sox won't pay him anyways.

The Red Sox won't pay him anyways.

Probably right, but the context of the conversation was more about what high end starters will be available in general- not just for the Red Sox. Besides, the Red Sox have bigger fish to fry, and that’s starting with totally overhauling their inept bullpen (that’s not to say they couldn’t use a high end starter).

I like Judge and he's very good ...
I think he gets more pub, because he's a yankee than he would otherwise.

Not so much this year, but how can you vote a guy an MVP or even 2nd or 3rd place if he's missed the number of games he's missed ... again, previous years, I think hes been mostly healthy this year.

Reactions: AZ.
And, he still might not be selected the MVP.

Far be it from me to defend a Yankee player, but if Judge doesn’t win it this year they might as well change the name of the award to MOP (Most Outstanding Player). What Ohtani is doing is unprecedented in the history of MLB, there’s no denying that, but I can’t be the only one that’s tired of an Angels player winning most VALUABLE player while their team finishes a gazillion games out of the playoffs. I’ve always thought the definition of this award was where would their team be if that player was not on the team. I can tell you where the Yankees would be without Judge this year, and that would NOT be first place or maybe even the playoffs. Not only has Judge put up other worldly numbers, but he has done so by being the only real reliable bat in the Yankees lineup for big stretches this year. Both Stanton and Rizzo have missed significant time. The Yankees went through that terrible stretch in the middle of the year, and Judge was really their only consistent bat (besides Carpenter before he got hurt). He has carried the Yankees to a first place finish. Where exactly has Ohtani (and Trout in previous years) carried the Angels to?

MOP or Player of the Year? I would be all aboard the Ohtani argument (although I would still probably vote for Judge). But Most VALUABLE Player? No bleeping way. Call me when your team is at least representative.

Reactions: Don in CT and Jimbo
Far be it from me to defend a Yankee player, but if Judge doesn’t win it this year they might as well change the name of the award to MOP (Most Outstanding Player). What Ohtani is doing is unprecedented in the history of MLB, there’s no denying that, but I can’t be the only one that’s tired of an Angels player winning most VALUABLE player while their team finishes a gazillion games out of the playoffs. I’ve always thought the definition of this award was where would their team be if that player was not on the team. I can tell you where the Yankees would be without Judge this year, and that would NOT be first place or maybe even the playoffs. Not only has Judge put up other worldly numbers, but he has done so by being the only real reliable bat in the Yankees lineup for big stretches this year. Both Stanton and Rizzo have missed significant time. The Yankees went through that terrible stretch in the middle of the year, and Judge was really their only consistent bat (besides Carpenter before he got hurt). He has carried the Yankees to a first place finish. Where exactly has Ohtani (and Trout in previous years) carried the Angels to?

MOP or Player of the Year? I would be all aboard the Ohtani argument (although I would still probably vote for Judge). But Most VALUABLE Player? No bleeping way. Call me when your team is at least representative.
I like your view here .... however, Ohtani should get the MIP .... Most Interestring Player, seeing he does both, but then he would get it every year.

Only draw back I have with your idea in this post is that, a Top Team would never get a MVP ... Take the Astros for example .... there are many players that are Very good to Great players you can take out of the line up for a few weeks and they would be fine. They have the right pieces in place to step up and cover while others are out.

Verlander goes out for 3 weeks and a young Hunter Brown steps in from the Minors, hes done so well they are deciding about possibly putting him on the Post Season roster.

Over the off season, they lose Correa to FA, Jeremy Pena steps up and plays very well as a rookie SS.

Correa or Altuve have been thier best Position Players over the last few years, (Bregman to some extent but he got hurt as well)

They just have players to back up thier studs that a Huge Drop off doesn't happen ...

I would imagine the Dodgers would be the same way, but they go out and pretty much Buy like the yankees ...

So None of the Astros would be in consideration for the MVP because they are not head and shoulders above the rest stats wise ...

Btw, to me MVP isn't won on the best Stats ... It should go by they best over all player, did you keep your team together thru turmoil ?

Judge should be the MVP ... I'm fine with that, but it should be more than just numbers .... if you manipulate numbers enough, anyone can look great.

I like your view here .... however, Ohtani should get the MIP .... Most Interestring Player, seeing he does both, but then he would get it every year.

Only draw back I have with your idea in this post is that, a Top Team would never get a MVP ... Take the Astros for example .... there are many players that are Very good to Great players you can take out of the line up for a few weeks and they would be fine. They have the right pieces in place to step up and cover while others are out.

Verlander goes out for 3 weeks and a young Hunter Brown steps in from the Minors, hes done so well they are deciding about possibly putting him on the Post Season roster.

Over the off season, they lose Correa to FA, Jeremy Pena steps up and plays very well as a rookie SS.

Correa or Altuve have been thier best Position Players over the last few years, (Bregman to some extent but he got hurt as well)

They just have players to back up thier studs that a Huge Drop off doesn't happen ...

I would imagine the Dodgers would be the same way, but they go out and pretty much Buy like the yankees ...

So None of the Astros would be in consideration for the MVP because they are not head and shoulders above the rest stats wise ...

Btw, to me MVP isn't won on the best Stats ... It should go by they best over all player, did you keep your team together thru turmoil ?

Judge should be the MVP ... I'm fine with that, but it should be more than just numbers .... if you manipulate numbers enough, anyone can look great.

But that’s my point about MVP. If you take player X out of the Astros lineup this year they’re still a top tier team. If you took Judge away from the Yankees they would be lucky to make the playoffs. You combine that and Judge’s HISTORICALLY great numbers and MVP is a no brainer.

Reactions: Jimbo and Don in CT