MLB 2022 Season

Honestly I hate the unbalenced schedule. You have teams running away with bad divisions, and good teams losing in good divisons. Even out the playing field.

Four weeks from Wednesday is the end of the regular season. A lot to be determined between now and then……..

* Who comes out of the wild AL Central- Guardians, Twins or White Sox?

* Who will be the three Wildcard teams in the AL out of Rays, Blue Jays, Mariners, Orioles and AL Central runner up?

* Who wins the NL East- the Mets or Braves?

* Who will be the other two NL Wildcard teams after the Mets/Braves runner up- Padres, Phillies or Brewers?

Four weeks from Wednesday is the end of the regular season. A lot to be determined between now and then……..

* Who comes out of the wild AL Central- Guardians, Twins or White Sox?

* Who will be the three Wildcard teams in the AL out of Rays, Blue Jays, Mariners, Orioles and AL Central runner up?

* Who wins the NL East- the Mets or Braves?

* Who will be the other two NL Wildcard teams after the Mets/Braves runner up- Padres, Phillies or Brewers?
Tooooo many Teams get in now.

Tooooo many Teams get in now.

Surprisingly this new format is starting to grow on me. When they first announced this format I hated it. I absolutely LOVED the single elimination Wildcard game and I will miss it, but this new format is definitely weighted in favor of A. Division winners B. two best records in either league and C. the first Wildcard team. The first round is a best of three, but there is no off days and no travel. The third best division winner will host the third best Wildcard and the best Wildcard will host the second best Wildcard for ALL 3 games in the series. The winners will advance to play the division winners with the best and second best records. So if you’re one of the 2 Wildcards (in each league), and you win 2 out of 3 on the road in the first round, you will then have to turn around and play the first 2 games of the next series on the road. That’s a huge disadvantage, so if they somehow win that series and advance to the LCS they will have earned it BIG time!!

Surprisingly this new format is starting to grow on me. When they first announced this format I hated it. I absolutely LOVED the single elimination Wildcard game and I will miss it, but this new format is definitely weighted in favor of A. Division winners B. two best records in either league and C. the first Wildcard team. The first round is a best of three, but there is no off days and no travel. The third best division winner will host the third best Wildcard and the best Wildcard will host the second best Wildcard for ALL 3 games in the series. The winners will advance to play the division winners with the best and second best records. So if you’re one of the 2 Wildcards (in each league), and you win 2 out of 3 on the road in the first round, you will then have to turn around and play the first 2 games of the next series on the road. That’s a huge disadvantage, so if they somehow win that series and advance to the LCS they will have earned it BIG time!!
I always hated this type of set up, you possibly have to use your Ace to either get IN the Post Season or in the WC game to get there, then your into the -Rest- of your Starters in the real thing.

Its becoming the NHL where the Season doesn't mean much when you get in when your slightly better than a .500 team.

Anyways it is what it is ...
Another few years we won't recognize baseball anyways, with all the changes that Manford has made so far and proposing to come.

It might be interesting to see what the Standing would look like without the add of the "Man on 2nd base" rule in extra innings.

I'm sure some teams benefited, while others lost ground with it.

I really wish there was good reporting in MLB .... a few weeks ago they were all about how the yankees were at 50 games over .500 .... which in itself IS a great achievement, but doesn't really do anything for you ....

However, if they had looked a bit farther ....

The Astros had been more than 50 games over for awhile at that point.
But no one ever made a big deal out of it ... I really hate ESPN and them being in the east.

Now that I take a quick look at the Standing again ... I have No Idea what they were talking about ... looks more like they should have said 30 games over, not 50. which isn't nearly the huge achievement.

Reactions: AZ.
I always hated this type of set up, you possibly have to use your Ace to either get IN the Post Season or in the WC game to get there, then your into the -Rest- of your Starters in the real thing.

That’s my whole point of being accepting of this format. It’s very strongly weighted in favor of the two best division winners. Let’s use a hypothetical example….. the Mets hold on to win the NL East and secure the #2 seed (which gives them a first round bye). The Padres win their Wildcard Series in 3 games, but now have to travel to NY to face the Mets. The well rested Mets have deGrom and Scherzer going in Games 1 and 2 while the Padres have to use the back end of their rotation, AND they more than likely have a very tired bullpen. HUGE advantage Mets, and it was an advantage they earned over the course of 162 games.

Its becoming the NHL where the Season doesn't mean much when you get in when your slightly better than a .500 team.

No it’s not (at least not yet). The NHL (and the NBA) doesn’t reward a higher finish over the grueling 82 game schedule (other than home ice/court advantage).

That’s my whole point of being accepting of this format. It’s very strongly weighted in favor of the two best division winners. Let’s use a hypothetical example….. the Mets hold on to win the NL East and secure the #2 seed (which gives them a first round bye). The Padres win their Wildcard Series in 3 games, but now have to travel to NY to face the Mets. The well rested Mets have deGrom and Scherzer going in Games 1 and 2 while the Padres have to use the back end of their rotation, AND they more than likely have a very tired bullpen. HUGE advantage Mets, and it was an advantage they earned over the course of 162 games.

No it’s not (at least not yet). The NHL (and the NBA) doesn’t reward a higher finish over the grueling 82 game schedule (other than home ice/court advantage).
Still think they let in way to many teams.

Baseball as we know it ....(even now its not great, but better than whats to come next year.)

We will no longer recognize baseball when Manford is done ...

Highlights:

The goal is to increase action on the field, quicken the pace and reduce the amount of time it takes to play a major league game. The rule changes are expected to pass and include the following:

• A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on
  • Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance
  • A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance
  • Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)
  • Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown
  • Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18

Baseball as we know it ....(even now its not great, but better than whats to come next year.)

We will no longer recognize baseball when Manford is done ...

Highlights:

The goal is to increase action on the field, quicken the pace and reduce the amount of time it takes to play a major league game. The rule changes are expected to pass and include the following:

• A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on
  • Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance
  • A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance
  • Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)
  • Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown
  • Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18
Good! The game has gotten way too slow and the shift has ruined baseball.

Good! The game has gotten way too slow and the shift has ruined baseball.
While I agree with getting rid of the shift .... then again, will they now have a designated area you are required to be in for your position ?, that will take even more time if they have to throw a red flag when you see a player outside of thier designated area.

There is a VERY easy way to STOP the shift without new rules ...
HIT the Ball in the vacated area and that will stop it right away.

Pitch clock, I'm not really in favor of, some at bats and pitching battles require more time ...
What happens to the clock when you throw over to a base, does the clock start over ? (I haven't seen anything about that).

Infielders can't be on the grass before the pitch ????
Again, whose making the call, and what penalty is there if you are ?

Last, WHY in GODS name do they need to make the Bases LARGER ?
For WHAT ??????

I'm surprised that Manford hasn't adopted that every game will be 3 hrs or 2:45 ....
There is a Pitch clock, how long till the time they have a Time Clock ?

I can see in the future, how long, who knows, that a game going into Extra Inning will become a Home Run Derby for the winner.

Btw, with all these New rules, did anyone confirm if they were going to keep the stupid "Man on 2b" to start EI's.

Hopefully they dropped it, but who knows ...

Like I said, we will no longer recognize baseball soon.

Last edited:
As much as I am in favor of some of the rule changes coming, there are several that I think are BAD.

• Pitchers are limited to two disengagements (pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance. However, this limit is reset if a runner or runners advance during the plate appearance.
  • If a third pickoff attempt is made, the runner automatically advances one base if the pickoff attempt is not successful.
So, the pitcher has 2 attempts to pick off the runner, thats it .... so the runner knows that he has an easy base now ... this is going to be bad ...
If the pitcher does throw over a 3rd time (which is quite common and nothing wrong with it) and the runner is Not thrown out on the pick off, its an automatic Stolen base ..... thats ridiculous.

• Sad
As much as I am in favor of some of the rule changes coming, there are several that I think are BAD.

• Pitchers are limited to two disengagements (pickoff attempts or step-offs) per plate appearance. However, this limit is reset if a runner or runners advance during the plate appearance.
  • If a third pickoff attempt is made, the runner automatically advances one base if the pickoff attempt is not successful.
So, the pitcher has 2 attempts to pick off the runner, thats it .... so the runner knows that he has an easy base now ... this is going to be bad ...
If the pitcher does throw over a 3rd time (which is quite common and nothing wrong with it) and the runner is Not thrown out on the pick off, its an automatic Stolen base ..... thats ridiculous.

I wasn’t aware of this change. This is beyond dumb! Keeping a runner close is a big part of the game.

As far as increasing the base size goes, I read that they’ve been test piloting this in the minor leagues. They say it has decreased injuries around the bases significantly. However, I don’t for a second believe that’s the main reason. In my 50 years watching baseball, I can count on one hand how many injuries I’ve seen caused by a base. One I saw in person at Fenway Park in 1976. Red Sox pitcher Ferguson Jenkins ruptured his Achilles covering first base when the Rangers runner accidentally tripped him. I believe it’s to increase base runners and scoring.

Reactions: Jimbo
As far as increasing the base size goes, I read that they’ve been test piloting this in the minor leagues. They say it has decreased injuries around the bases significantly. However, I don’t for a second believe that’s the main reason. In my 50 years watching baseball, I can count on one hand how many injuries I’ve seen caused by a base. One I saw in person at Fenway Park in 1976. Red Sox pitcher Ferguson Jenkins ruptured his Achilles covering first base when the Rangers runner accidentally tripped him. I believe it’s to increase base runners and scoring.
I like your post, Not what they are doing .