MLB 2022 Season

Some interesting choices for announcers by ESPN for the Wildcard Series:

Rays at Indians- Jon Sciambi and Doug Glanville

Mariners at Blue Jays- Dave Flemming, Jessica Mendoza and Tim Kurkjian

Phillies at Cardinals- Michael Kay and Alex Rodriquez

Padres at Mets- Karl Ravech, David Cone and Eduardo Perez
I Do wish they could use the Home Team announcers .... they know the teams so much better.

I think I like John Smoltz best of the announcers out there.

This meme makes me extremely sad
IMG_1163.JPG

Climate change not in effect in NE Ohio since nearly the exact day Fall started, at least as far as the weather is concerned (leaves are holding hard :(). It is odd because it seems cold, but it actually what it normally was, and it is a bit difficult to adjust to not having an enduring "Indian Summer". Thankfully the games are not at night. Wind is supposed to be gusty all through the three day playoff weekend.

Cleveland weather:
Friday: 50s 70% rain (higher chance in morning)
Sat: 50s dry
Sun: 60 dry

My postseason predictions:

Guardians over Rays in 2- Guardians one of the hottest teams in baseball over the last 2 months, and they have IMO, the best postseason manager in baseball

Blue Jays over Mariners in 3- Battle of the 1977 expansion teams. IMO, the best series of the 4 and the toughest one to pick, but I think the Jays have a little too much firepower

Phillies over Cardinals in 3- Just because I have to pick an upset

Mets over Padres in 2- Pitching, pitching, pitching

Extrapolating those picks-

Astros over Blue Jays in 5- would be a great series

Yankees over Guardians in 4- Yankees just have too much firepower for the Guardians

Mets over Dodgers in 5-just a hunch

Braves over Phillies in 3- Braves start their quest for back-to-back

Yankees over Astros in 6-I think Judge, Stanton and Rizzo all go off

Mets over Braves in 6- Mets get sweet revenge for the season ending sweep

Mets over Yankees in 7- deGrom and Scherzer prove to be too much as the Mets get revenge for 2000

I have no dog in the fight. So I will use completely irrational reasons to find a team to root for for this month.

Cleveland. The, umm, Guardians claim to be one of the local teams in my area. There are exactly zero Cleveland fans here. As a protest to the crazy blackout system, out.

Tampa Bay. Wonderful area, but expansion to Florida and Arizona was a mistake. Everybody is a fan of the team from “back home”. Out.

Toronto. Actually a lovely city, but as a News Corporation stock holder, I need them to lose because their home town ratings won’t show up in Nielsen. Out.

Seattle. Nice city, but full of old hippies. Hippies smell. Out.

Philadelphia. Philly has all of the negatives of NYC, without any of the positives. Really a dirty, sad place. Out.

St. Louis. The best run organization in baseball, and one of the top 5 baseball towns (Cincy, Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston) in the country. Still they win too often. Let someone else have a shot. Out.

Houston. Cheaters. Out.

New York AL. How hard is it follow a team that can buy all the best players ? Out.

San Diego. San Diego has all of the positives of LA, with none of the negatives. Still, unless you are in the Navy, no one can afford to live there unless they are loaded. Outlaw golfer Phil Mickelson is from San Diego. LIV golf is evil. Rich people are already happy enough. The guys in the Navy are rooting for the teams from wherever they are from. Out.

Atlanta. The fan base consists of two parts. People that actually live in Atlanta, unarguably the worst sports town in America; and thirty somethings who remember mommy letting the watch the Braves on WTBS if they did their homework and who could not tell you where anything of note (is there anything of note? ) in Atlanta actually is. Out.

Los Angeles. A class organization in a loonie town. Out.

New York NL. A person in NYC metro can root for whichever team he wants, really. People that decide to be Mets fans when they could do the easy alternative, must really love baseball. Sold.

I'll take the Astro's ....

When JV went over there, I started watching them seriously ...
Before that, I was aware of them as Altuve is a hellofa player.

For those of you that STILL can't because of the Cheating ....
Get Over It, that was 5 YEARS ago ...
Only 3 players on that team are still there.

For that matter, the Yankees and Red Sox and other were cheating then as well.
THATS why the Commish didn't come down as hard as some may have wanted.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Who was cheating thread.

I'll take the Astro's ....

When JV went over there, I started watching them seriously ...
Before that, I was aware of them as Altuve is a hellofa player.

For those of you that STILL can't because of the Cheating ....
Get Over It, that was 5 YEARS ago ...
Only 3 players on that team are still there.

For that matter, the Yankees and Red Sox and other were cheating then as well.
THATS why the Commish didn't come down as hard as some may have wanted.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Who was cheating thread.
Nope that stain is what they deserve! Other players who did wrong never were forgiven, so the same should be a whole team of cheats.
There should even be an asterisk in the record books.

Nope that stain is what they deserve! Other players who did wrong never were forgiven, so the same should be a whole team of cheats.
There should even be an asterisk in the record books.
Think what you want ...
According to your thinking, the Astro's 30 years from now should not be able to win either ....
You really think the yankees didn't cheat, and for how long ... that all gets swept under the rug.
As well as other teams ...

You sound like a Dodger fan ....
Astro's beat teams ON THE ROAD .... in the other teams stadium ... how did they cheat then ?
Thier record was Better on the road than at home, substantially.

Think what you want ...
According to your thinking, the Astro's 30 years from now should not be able to win either ....
You really think the yankees didn't cheat, and for how long ... that all gets swept under the rug.
As well as other teams ...

You sound like a Dodger fan ....
Astro's beat teams ON THE ROAD .... in the other teams stadium ... how did they cheat then ?
Thier record was Better on the road than at home, substantially.
Nope life long White Sox fan....Look at 1919...Look at Shoeless Joe...batted better during the world series than in regular season....BANNED FOR LIFE!

Bennie Kauff, New York Giants outfielder, 1920: Was arrested for selling a stolen car at his car lot. Was acquitted, but Landis said the trial was a sham and banned Kauff.

Joe Gedeon, St. Louis Browns second baseman, 1920: Was a friend of one of the gamblers who conspired to fix the 1919 World Series and was banned for "having guilty knowlege" of the fix.

Gene Paulette, Philadelphia Phillies infielder, 1920: Offered to throw games in 1919 and was accused of receiving gifts from known St. Louis gamblers. Banned by Landis.

Lee Magee, Chicago Cubs outfielder, 1920: Released by the Cubs before the season began, he sued the team for $9,500, and lost. During the trial, it was revealed he had bet on his teams over the years and when it was over, was banned by Landis.

Ray Fisher, Cincinnati Reds pitcher, 1921: He asked for his release after he signed a contract with the Reds that was $1,000 less than the season before, and they refused. Instead of reporting to the team, he took a job as University of Michigan coach. The Reds tried to entice him to come back, but because he left the team after signing a contract, Landis banned him.

Phil Douglas, New York Giants pitcher, 1922: After a fight with Giants manager John McGraw, Douglas sent a letter to Les Mann, who played for the St. Louis Cardinals, saying he would take inducement to leave the team so the Giants couldn't win the pennant. He was banned by Landis.

Jimmy O'Connell and Cozy Dolan, New York Giants, 1924: The pair offered to pay Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Heinie Sand $500 to throw a game between the two teams.

William Cox, Philadelphia Phillies owner, 1943: Admitted to betting on his team, saying he didn't know it was against the rules. Was banned by Landis.

Pete Rose, Cincinnati Reds manager, 1989: Was found guilty of betting on his team, despite repeated denials. Eventually, Rose accepted a permanent place on baseball's ineligible list. Was banned by Bart Giamatti.

Jenrry Mejía, New York Mets pitcher, 2016: Tested positive three times for steroids in one year. Was banned by Rob Manfred.

Chris Correa, St. Louis Cardinals scouting director, 2017: Was sentenced to almost four years in prison for hacking the Houston Astros' player-personnel database and email system. Was banned by Manfred.

John Coppolella, Atlanta Braves general manager, 2017: Was accused of circumventing the international signing rules over the course of three years. Was banned by Manfred.

I rest my case!

The different scenarios for Sunday’s schedule. Study, study, study kids!! There will be a quiz on this later.

IMG_0578.JPG

Nope life long White Sox fan....Look at 1919...Look at Shoeless Joe...batted better during the world series than in regular season....BANNED FOR LIFE!

Bennie Kauff, New York Giants outfielder, 1920: Was arrested for selling a stolen car at his car lot. Was acquitted, but Landis said the trial was a sham and banned Kauff.

Joe Gedeon, St. Louis Browns second baseman, 1920: Was a friend of one of the gamblers who conspired to fix the 1919 World Series and was banned for "having guilty knowlege" of the fix.

Gene Paulette, Philadelphia Phillies infielder, 1920: Offered to throw games in 1919 and was accused of receiving gifts from known St. Louis gamblers. Banned by Landis.

Lee Magee, Chicago Cubs outfielder, 1920: Released by the Cubs before the season began, he sued the team for $9,500, and lost. During the trial, it was revealed he had bet on his teams over the years and when it was over, was banned by Landis.

Ray Fisher, Cincinnati Reds pitcher, 1921: He asked for his release after he signed a contract with the Reds that was $1,000 less than the season before, and they refused. Instead of reporting to the team, he took a job as University of Michigan coach. The Reds tried to entice him to come back, but because he left the team after signing a contract, Landis banned him.

Phil Douglas, New York Giants pitcher, 1922: After a fight with Giants manager John McGraw, Douglas sent a letter to Les Mann, who played for the St. Louis Cardinals, saying he would take inducement to leave the team so the Giants couldn't win the pennant. He was banned by Landis.

Jimmy O'Connell and Cozy Dolan, New York Giants, 1924: The pair offered to pay Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Heinie Sand $500 to throw a game between the two teams.

William Cox, Philadelphia Phillies owner, 1943: Admitted to betting on his team, saying he didn't know it was against the rules. Was banned by Landis.

Pete Rose, Cincinnati Reds manager, 1989: Was found guilty of betting on his team, despite repeated denials. Eventually, Rose accepted a permanent place on baseball's ineligible list. Was banned by Bart Giamatti.

Jenrry Mejía, New York Mets pitcher, 2016: Tested positive three times for steroids in one year. Was banned by Rob Manfred.

Chris Correa, St. Louis Cardinals scouting director, 2017: Was sentenced to almost four years in prison for hacking the Houston Astros' player-personnel database and email system. Was banned by Manfred.

John Coppolella, Atlanta Braves general manager, 2017: Was accused of circumventing the international signing rules over the course of three years. Was banned by Manfred.

I rest my case!
Really ....

Those are individuals ....
Did you Ban the entire Organization ever since the 1920's.
Have you banned ALL the players on these teams before and after ....

Must be tough being a sports fan in your household.

As I mentioned earlier, some teams have a players number ... was that one of them ?
Or just an Off night for Scherzer ?

I hope that’s all it was because over the years Scherzer has been one of the more enjoyable big game pitchers to watch. It actually pissed me off that he was booed off the field. I mean I get it your team is getting smoked at home, but Scherzer is a future HOF and a fierce competitor. Nobody was bothered by his performance more than him.

Reactions: Jimbo and Ziptied
Is it me or has the Guardians rebranding been much more seamless than the Washington Commanders football team? Watching the Guardians this year, and I still feel like I’m watching the Indians, that’s not the case with the Commanders. I watched some of the Commanders game against the Cowboys last Sunday, and I felt like I was watching an expansion team. Different colors, fonts and uniform design doesn’t help, but it just doesn’t feel like I’m watching the old Redskins. I felt like the last two years when they were known as the Washington Football Team, THAT was the Redskins. Kudos to the Guardians organization for making the rebranding of the Indians as seamless as possible.

I hope that’s all it was because over the years Scherzer has been one of the more enjoyable big game pitchers to watch. It actually pissed me off that he was booed off the field. I mean I get it your team is getting smoked at home, but Scherzer is a future HOF and a fierce competitor. Nobody was bothered by his performance more than him.
As a life long Padres fan, I related to and even felt bad for Mets fans last night....until the moment Scherzer walked off the field. F every one of them that booed him. No doubt, they are the same ones that boo when the pitcher checks or throws a runner back to his base. Idiots.

Reactions: BillD1984 and AZ.
Dude, they are Mets fans. Whadya expect?