MLB 2022 Season

• Opening Day moves to April 7 and a full 162-game schedule will be played
  • Spring training camps open with a March 11 voluntary report date and March 13 mandatory date
  • Spring training games start March 17
  • Free agency to begin immediately once CBA is ratified
  • Playoffs expand to 12 teams, beginning this season
  • The National League adopts the designated hitter starting this season
  • CBT expected to begin at $230 million and grow to $244 million

A little surprised that the NL is adopting the DH this season. Just thought they would give the teams a little grace period for roster construction.

I would think free agents Kyle Schwarber and Nelson Cruz would be coveted by NL teams now that the DH has been picked up.

Reactions: Jimbo
The regular season will now end 3 days later than the original schedule, which could push a potential 7 game World Series beyond the first week of November. I have often argued that it’s less likely to have bitter cold weather in early November then it is in early April.

A little surprised that the NL is adopting the DH this season. Just thought they would give the teams a little grace period for roster construction.
I'm not a fan of the DH, but if it's going to be a thing, it needs to be in both leagues. The NL has been at a disadvantage in interleague play because the teams aren't structured for a DH.

Reactions: Jimbo and BillD1984
As for the DH, I can take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me, however, both leagues should be playing with the same rules.

Now that the players and Owners have come to enough of an agreement to start the season ....
Did they decide on the Extra Innings runner on 2b issue, is it GONE or still in place ?

I see they added 2 more teams to the playoffs, its starting to get diluted .... they go any further it will be a waste of a season.

If they added more teams (they did) they need to shorten the season, so they can get the playoffs in before Nov 1st.

Reactions: AZ. and BillD1984
As for the DH, I can take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me, however, both leagues should be playing with the same rules.

Now that the players and Owners have come to enough of an agreement to start the season ....
Did they decide on the Extra Innings runner on 2b issue, is it GONE or still in place ?

I see they added 2 more teams to the playoffs, its starting to get diluted .... they go any further it will be a waste of a season.

If they added more teams (they did) they need to shorten the season, so they can get the playoffs in before Nov 1st.

I absolutely hate, hate, HATE that MLB has done away with the 1 game Wildcard playoff. IMO, it was the one change that MLB got right.....now they’ve taken it away.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Clarbear
I absolutely hate, hate, HATE that MLB has done away with the 1 game Wildcard playoff. IMO, it was the one change that MLB got right.....now they’ve taken it away.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
Has anyone seen a breakdown of the new playoff format ?
The are now allowing 12 teams to get in, so you have what, the top 2 teams in each division ?
Probably not, as that may diminish the Playoff race for the top teams in the division.

I didn't care for the 1 game playoff for the WC round as you got screwed if you needed your top pitchers to get that far and end up throwing someone for 1 game on short rest or a number 4 or 5 starter.

I thought that round should have been best of 3.
Then again, your lengthening the post season if you do that.

OK, I found the new playoff format (CBS)

The 12-team format now will be as follows. Again, this is per league.

1 seed: Best overall record
2 seed: Second-best record among division winners

Those top two seeds get byes to the second round.

3 seed: Third-best division winner record
4-6 seeds: Three best records among non-division winners, in order of record

Are they not using divisions now ?
Are they taking the 3 divisions in each league and seeding them by record and saying the heck with you winning your division ???
So, just because you win your division, doesn't mean you get in ???

Sounds confusing ... why not just go back to 2 divisions and seed everyone from 1 to whatever .....
I remember when there was 2 way back in the day. (at least I think I do) Late '60s or early '70s ?