MLB Trade deadline/rumors thread

Lefty Relievers: Ohman, Grabow, Eyre, Mahay, Rhode

Let's talk lefty relievers.

Mets In Holding Pattern

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 8:39am CST]
8:39am: SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Mets have "kicked around" the idea of acquiring Ian Snell from the Pirates and using him in relief for the rest of the year. Snell is signed through 2010 with club options for '11 and '12. It's tough to see the Bucs moving him, even in an off year.
8:13am: According to David Lennon of Newsday, the Mets are not finding a deal to their liking for a reliever or outfielder. They've put pretty much all of their good prospects off-limits - Fernando Martinez, Jon Niese, Eddie Kunz or Bobby Parnell.
Players such as Raul Ibanez, Brian Fuentes, George Sherrill, and J.J. Putz have all been on the radar. But the Mets just don't like the prices. Lennon says they still might move Scott Schoeneweis though.

Rockies Rumors: Fuentes, Redding, Fogg, Byrd

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 8:34am CST]
THURSDAY, 8:31am: Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post indicates the Rockies want to keep Fuentes. He says they're looking at starters such as Tim Redding, Josh Fogg, and Paul Byrd. Redding's stock dropped last night with an ugly start.
WEDNESDAY, 9:12pm: On Sunday, Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd termed a Brian Fuentes trade "highly unlikely." However, ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Rockies will decide late tonight whether to put Fuentes on the market. The Mets, Phillies, and Rays are out given the high asking price

White Sox Targeting Street

According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, the White Sox are targeting reliever Huston Street in trade talks. However, they might not have the prospects to pull it off. GM Kenny Williams may have to include a third or even fourth team to find a group of players Billy Beane likes.
Street, 25 in August, is under team control through 2010.

What? This makes no sense. What is wrong with Bobby Jenks? Why would they add another closer?

That's what I was wondering. Is Jenks still hurt?

No, Jenks is back, but Linebrink is hurt & Dotel is showing signs of trouble. Looking at him in a setup role. Street not eligible for free agencu until 2011 I heard.
Now I hear Kyle Lohse is on the market & the Sox may be interested in him. Still haven't announced who they give up for Griffey, hope it's not Anderson or Owens.

Mets In Holding Pattern

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 8:39am CST]
8:39am: SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Mets have "kicked around" the idea of acquiring Ian Snell from the Pirates and using him in relief for the rest of the year. Snell is signed through 2010 with club options for '11 and '12. It's tough to see the Bucs moving him, even in an off year....

Snell has done a poor job this year. He's gotten the Bucs down by a lot early on and has given them no chance at a come back in numerous games. :(

Ironically, I coached that kid in high school here in Miami....and his name is actually GABY Hernandez:( I was really hoping he would stick around. Very good righty pitcher....but had his troubles in triple A

Yes, sorry GABY. That's how the name was given to me.

More on him from Mariners Blog | Rhodes gone | Seattle Times Newspaper Blog.

Basically trading a 39y.o. P for a 22y.o. P on a rebuilding team is a no-brainer.
The article also highlights what is holding up deals for Washburn, Ibanez and Beltre.
The Mariners are looking for prospects first and feel that they can deal until Waiver Deadline Deals(Aug. 31) end if they are in salary dump mode.

Not yet. Just confirming that he WILL approve the trade if it happens.

He'd be a fool not to. Boston has had their fill of him and the Latino community in South Florida will embrace him and his ego will be well-fed and all will be happy...for awhile.

It's kinda like shades of Sheffield.

1:13 p.m.: The Pirates like the prospects, I am told, and no longer are the holdup. Separately, ESPN's Peter Gammons is saying Florida -- surprise -- wants more money, as much as $9 million to cover Ramirez's remaining salary and then some. Focus is off the Pirates.

WEEI here in Boston was reporting if the three team trade falls through, the Dodgers are very interested in Manny and Matt Kemp's name was thrown out there.

From SI.com's Jon Heyman (1:27 p.m.): Embattled superstar Manny Ramirez has approved a trade to the Marlins, SI.com has learned. While the Red Sox, Marlins and Pirates are still negotiating details of the mega-trade and nothing has been finalized by the teams, one major hurdle has been cleared by Ramirez accepting the deal ahead of time, according to people familiar with the negotiations. The Red Sox approached Ramirez in advance of their negotiations, and got his OK. Ramirez signed off on the paperwork, contingent upon the two $20-million team options for 2009 and '10 being dropped. The move will set the stage for Ramirez to become a free agent this winter, assuming a trade can be completed by the three teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)