More CSR trouble

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
So I finally convinced my sister and her husband to ditch cable and go with Dish network. They call in and start talking equipment with the CSR's. They are new customers. Never been with either satellite company. They wanted Sling on their receivers. The CSR tells them that a 922 will cost 400 dollars and a 722k will be 200 dollars plus another 100 dollars for the sling adapter. Well they decided since that was so much money to just go with a 622 which was free.

They called me after the install (not sure why they waited so long) and were telling me about what they were told for receiver prices. I told them it was a bunch of BS and they needed to call back in and complain. So after talking to several different CSR's and finally requesting to talk to retention, they were able to get Dish to come back out and replace the 622 with a 922 for 200 dollars.

But even after all that they were still getting the run around! The CSR told them their bill would increase by 4 dollars a month because of the 922. My sister asked why, and the CSR said "because of the google TV." My sister tells the CSR we don't want google TV. And the reply is "oh ok, then your bill will not go up by 4 dollars." Which is just an out right lie.

I just don't understand why you can never get consistent, reliable information from CSR's. Even upper level ones. It's a joke, and as far as I'm concerned, incredibly insulting. If you don't know the answer, say you don't know, don't lie to me about it. Dish has great equipment and great channel packages but their customer service is HORRIBLE. Something needs to be done about this!

922's DVR fee is $10 a month instead of all the other DVRs which is $6/month. There's your extra $4. The 922 does not support GoogleTV at the moment.

They probably should have waited until after Feb 1st as that is when the 922 for $200 price drop will go into effect. See the Retailer Chat- 1/13/2011 stickie post for more details.

They probably should have waited until after Feb 1st as that is when the 922 for $200 price drop will go into effect. See the Retailer Chat- 1/13/2011 stickie post for more details.

They did get it for $200.00.

And yes, the 922 is $4.00 more. Explanation was wrong, but bottom line is correct.

While I would agree that something needs to be done about customer service, we as consumers have already said we don't care 'cause we don't want to pay what it would cost to get it. Horrendous churn in employees from the low pay gets you what we have. And looking at a different provider doesn't help, 'cause they are doing it the same way.

My experience with customer service has always been good, but that's as much because I already know the answer to the question I'm going to ask and a certain amount of luck of the draw.

One thing that has always irritated me about both D* and E* is that the receiver you get is what's on the truck 'cause they both count HDDVRs the same way. E* sees the 622/722/722k as the same box and D* does the same with all the HR models, in spite of the differences. The answer is always the same, they can't control inventory, which is Bullsh!t! It isn't that they can't, they just won't.

That’s strange, when I got DISH on 2007 for my house, they started me with 2/722S receivers free in charge & installing too, but the did check my social security score at first to open a account for me.. I don’t know what they do these days..but is hard to believe they charge for boxes these days to start!

I have been installing for over 11 years, and dealing with idiot CSRs nearly every day over that time. Don't hold your breath on them ever getting any better. The average turn over is 90 days, meaning the average employee last 90 days. They are rarely there long enough to actually learn their job.

One of our biggest problems currently is that no matter what the customers problem is, they say "we'll send a service truck out under warranty" even if the problem has nothing to do with the satellite install ie: customer can't figure out how to hook up their new TV or a tree fell on the dish.

Anyway, my point is, the CSR problem affects us all, but it will never change.

Brad

So I finally convinced my sister and her husband to ditch cable and go with Dish network. They call in and start talking equipment with the CSR's. They are new customers. Never been with either satellite company. They wanted Sling on their receivers. The CSR tells them that a 922 will cost 400 dollars and a 722k will be 200 dollars plus another 100 dollars for the sling adapter. Well they decided since that was so much money to just go with a 622 which was free.

They called me after the install (not sure why they waited so long) and were telling me about what they were told for receiver prices. I told them it was a bunch of BS and they needed to call back in and complain. So after talking to several different CSR's and finally requesting to talk to retention, they were able to get Dish to come back out and replace the 622 with a 922 for 200 dollars.

But even after all that they were still getting the run around! The CSR told them their bill would increase by 4 dollars a month because of the 922. My sister asked why, and the CSR said "because of the google TV." My sister tells the CSR we don't want google TV. And the reply is "oh ok, then your bill will not go up by 4 dollars." Which is just an out right lie.

I just don't understand why you can never get consistent, reliable information from CSR's. Even upper level ones. It's a joke, and as far as I'm concerned, incredibly insulting. If you don't know the answer, say you don't know, don't lie to me about it. Dish has great equipment and great channel packages but their customer service is HORRIBLE. Something needs to be done about this!

Here at DISH Network we are always trying to improve the customer’s experience. I was rather surprised by how much misinformation was given to your sister. I am glad to hear that they did get it worked out. If you could provide me the agent’s operator ID, I would really like to have that info. Thanks

I, like all the other installers here, am not at all surprised by the misinformation given by a CSR, Stephen. We deal with it on a daily basis when trying to get a customer up and running. On more than one occasion I've left a TC customer with no service because some CSR would not deviate from their "script". Good job, Dish!

Here at DISH Network we are always trying to improve the customer’s experience. I was rather surprised by how much misinformation was given to your sister. I am glad to hear that they did get it worked out. If you could provide me the agent’s operator ID, I would really like to have that info. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I will call my sister and see if she would happen to know the operator ID's of all the people she talked to.

I too am glad that she got everything worked out. It was just frustrating me because I convince them to switch to Dish and tell them how wonderful it is, and right off the bat they have all this trouble. Kind of made me feel bad for convincing them to switch. At least on the bright side things can only get better.

For first time customers isn't the VIP722 suppose to be the free receiver? That is the impression I get from the ads dish tv runs.

Also Stephen how can dish strive for excellent customer service with a ninety days retation rate? I have advised customer service departments alls around this nation. The first thing I tell them is to throw away the scripts and become human beings not robots. The second thing I tell companies is that it takes one month to train a good customer service rep, does dish have a one month training program or do they throw new employees to the wolfs?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)