More DirecTV Big Happenings

Status
Please reply by conversation.
UPN is a must. I need to watch Star Trek.

My local cable company owns all rights to UPN. Its not over the Air.

There is no UPN option on Direct TV like there is with Dishnetwork.

I did talk to the regional UPN rep for my Time Zone. I mentioned that they could give Direct TV permision to give us there there Super Station Feed like Dishnetwork does.

He said He would do research on the issue.

My Dream would be that they would give automatically the WWOR UPN feed for FREE to all that do not have a UPN option on there local package.

Is it

7 More HD channels?

Fox in HD?

Home Media Options?

UPN WWOR for everyone that cant get a UPN?

Free Direct Tivos for new customers?

$699 HD Tivos for new customers?

Scott Greczkowski said:
BTW I don't expect to hear anything back until Monday afternoon.

But as soon as I hear something I WILL post it here. :)

I'll make 2 predictions:

1. Tivos will be free to new customers. :D

2. Our buydowns will go down, so we get less profit on installs. :mad:

We'll see Monday.

I don't see how they could add more HD channels immediately. They must wait for the launch of DirecTV 7-S in the February 15ish timeframe

http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_sdat/directv-7s.htm

They were planning to have it up months ago, but Loral took a little longer than expected to construct the satellite. It will be launched by Boeing Sea Launch, just as DirecTV 1-R was (which was Sea Launch's first mission)

Bryan

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have received word from my DirecTV contact that on Monday DirecTV will make some huge announcement's which I am told will make Charlie Ergens head spin.

SPECULATION #1 - I would hope they add the Superstation Package. That's one of the few 'ups' that E* has on D*. Even when they get around to adding locals for here, there would STILL be no UPN/WB (Time-Warner has a 'cherry picked' cable only channel with selected UPN/WB shows) like in many parts of the country.. I *KNOW FOR A FACT* (someone who works at TW) that they have an ad campaign READY AND WAITING for when the locals launch here "Want to see ENTERPRISE? SMACKDOWN? ANGEL?... you can't see those on a dish... only on Time-Warner Cable". There is ZERO reason they can't make them available immediately.

SPECULATION #2 - fill in the HBO/Cinemax/et.al. packs to at least match E*'s holdings (HBO Comedy, Showtime Beyond, etc).

ok.. those two would just about destroy any advantage that E* has over D* and a lot of people that are just holding E* for the UPN/WB would drop those in a second... now... the stake thru the heart of E*

SPECULATION #3 - D* will not offer ANY receiver that is not a PVR. A 'low end' unit perhaps based on the SKY+ box will be FREE (with a 1yr commitment), and the new price point for a HDVR2/35 hour is $49 and.... something intersting in the HD world receiver wise to compete with the $199 811 from E* (that I won't even try to guess on).

Are they ending the mirror fee AND giving me Home Media Option for FREE on my 3 HDVR2s??

I just call my Uncle who works there.

He would not say much due to insider trading rules.

He did was we are all not even close in our guesses.

He did say it is going to make Charlie turn RED.

Perhaps an announcement on the free DVR for everyone would get mentioned, or a special promotion for new customers. Perhaps an offer to swap out all the Dish Network customers with a special offer for them. That is what would make Charlie RED! Maybe a way of getting Dish retailers to sell for him.

ScottChez said:

I'm curious as to what it would be, but my hopes got a little dashed when Dan Collins on DBSForums.com said he didn't think the "news" was all that earth-shattering. Hopefully his definition of "earth-shattering" is different from mine.

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
I'm curious as to what it would be, but my hopes got a little dashed when Dan Collins on DBSForums.com said he didn't think the "news" was all that earth-shattering. Hopefully his definition of "earth-shattering" is different from mine.

Of course the assumption is that he knows what Scott knows...

There won't be any big announcements. How could there be? Until 7s is operational, we are gonna have to sit tight waiting on programming.

I expect that they (Direct) will throw us a bone in exchange for the enormous rate hike.

I also would like to see a national UPN feed, which is easily incorporated into a Superstations bundle.

The only announcement I really want to see is the addition of seven new HD channels, which we all know cannot be announced.

Rick P said:
Of course the assumption is that he knows what Scott knows...

And I know nothing more then there will be a big announcement, I have no idea what it will include. I am just as anxious as the rest of you.

This source has come through for me in the past, infact I consider this person a trusted source.

Sports Package

based on a call I got from D*TV Friday, I bet the "big announcement" is the inclusion of a new "sports package" within the "plus package. That is, if you have the "plus package, they'll now include a number of sports channels (like the golf channel, etc.) for "free". That will seem to offset the price increase, since DISH can't match it.

It appears that one of the possibilities being mentioned at other sites, but not here on this thread, is that DirecTV may be purchasing Pegasus. If, in fact, the issue against leaking info is insider trading, then a buyout of a company makes sense.

Keep in mind that DirecTV/Hughes recently unloaded half of it's stock in TiVo (I read it somewhere, I'm just not sure where).

More than likely free tivo's for new cust., more hd content and since rupert is a big fan of interactivity we will see this come back.As an installer i know for a fact the phone line issue is now a dead issue,we are required not only by contract to plug it in but this IS one of ruperts major things due to the interactive issue.Also possible cheeper HD boxes for new and existing cust. not sure but it has been talked about by us anyway and it is a possibility since rupert is also a big fan of HD content programs.

Stargazer said:
How many receivers do DirecTv allow you to have on an account? I do not order PPV, I do not even get to watch that many movies. By the time I watch all my regular shows from the DVR Events screen that I had previously recorded I am lucky to have time to watch any movies. They are nice to watch when nothing else comes on. I am afraid if I would go and watch movies all the time that I would end up seeing most of the ones I want to watch and that they would end up being repeats and nothing new on, like some customers had told me in the past. I do not watch that much sports either although sometimes I will watch some baseball games on TBS or the world series or the SuperStations.
Once you get around 7 or 8 they start to frown on it and try to bill it as a commercial account.If you get that many you might have to fight to keep your basic account. :(

ScottChez said:

Hmm.. I think D* has video of Charlie pulling pranks on his customers. This new D* exclusive "reality" channel will show behind-the-scenes footage from Charlie Chats and some of his most popular scams: SuperDish, 921, 721 bug fixing, etc. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)