More HD to move from 61.5 to 72.7?

Not one TP on the 72.5 had a higher value then one TP the 110.
It simply won't. The Dish meter was showing readings 10-15 points higher than what it is now when they first switched over to Nimiq 5 with QPSK signaling.

The Dish meter represents noise margin, not signal power.

QPSK requires less signal to be functional than 8PSK-Turbo, so on 2 transponders transmitting at exactly the same signal power, the QPSK transponder will always have more noise margin available and report a higher number than an identical transponder using 8PSK-Turbo coding.

In short: the Dish meter isn't telling you what you think it's telling you.

"Regardless, Dish finally seems to be implementing a plan to notify people..."

I am bundled with ATT and have never received an email from DISH since becoming a customer around 2007. I do not have a customer number with them due to my ATT connection, so I doubt I will ever be notified. I called a couple of weeks ago several times and chatted several times to no avail. They will not give me the new HD channels without a charge. I have 110/119.61.5 America's top 250.

My latest commit is up April 1st.
Can anyone tell me info (or experience), other than what info packets I've seen in the next town east, on U-verse...likes, dislikes,etc. Hoping they will arrive in the near future to have an option.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis
Watertown, WI

Discount HD PAK price

There was a time when you would receive a discount from the normal price of local network channels, if you did not get all your network locals when ordering local channels.

I was just wondering if Dish should reduce our HD bill to compensate us, due to the fact that Dish decided to have the new HD channels transmit from a different satellite, thus preventing some of us from receiving “all” the HD channels we are paying for.

JUST CALLED

Yes i just called a few minutes ago to see what i could do. Heard some people talking about free upgrades but no such luck. I will not ever pay for these upgrades. i will either switch to DirecTV or just cancel myself. (My contract ran up long ago) and get someone else in the house to subscribe and recieve all this junk for free like i should. It just makes no sense that Dish changes their mind about things and then wants us to pay additional for it. When i had to add the 61.5 side dish i didnt have to pay a dime for it.

Currently 110/119/61.5...will a 1000.4 work for me?

I currently have (2) Dish500's (I think thats what they are) pointing at 110/119/61.5. I get the DC locals. I am located at zipcode 26711.

Today on a DishChat I was told by the rep that I could get a 1000.4 installed and it would point to 61.5/72.7/77 and that I would still get all of the channels that I currently get. I just want someone from here to confirm that this will work fine for me if I go to a single dish and that I wont be losing any channels that I pay for.

Thanks in advance,

-mcbride

Yes i just called a few minutes ago to see what i could do. Heard some people talking about free upgrades but no such luck. I will not ever pay for these upgrades. i will either switch to DirecTV or just cancel myself. (My contract ran up long ago) and get someone else in the house to subscribe and recieve all this junk for free like i should. It just makes no sense that Dish changes their mind about things and then wants us to pay additional for it. When i had to add the 61.5 side dish i didnt have to pay a dime for it.
Just out of curiosity, did you call the 1-888-701-8965 that was referenced in the first post of this thread or the standard CSR number?

I called the number listed here and was given incorrect information so I am not sure one number is better than the other?!?!? After the first time I called and was hung up on the second time i was given wrong info. At least they were both Americans!

For those of you getting the 1000.4 mounted to your home, where are they mounting it? I have a 500 for 110/119 on a pole in the yard and a 500 at 61.5 on the house. The 61.5 is mounted to the fascia board which is a 1X piece of cedar. I'm wondering if that board will support a 1000.4 dish problem free.

My move to HD necessitated the 61.5 dish. The signal levels were great initially, but soon afterwards, I had to go up and repoint it. Yes, I could have had them out to fix it up, but I wanted to do a little hands-on work. I'm concerned about mounting the larger 1000.4 dish where the existing 61.5 is located. Unfounded fears?

For those that will ask, LOS to 129 does not look possible. Too many trees. EA is really my only option.

Everything will have to wait until spring as there is 6" of snow on the roof right now. I wouldn't send a tech up there at this time.

I just called the # given at the top of this thread, goes directly to a rep. Had mentioned how I know I need a new setup. He looked over my account, placed me on hold to "see how we can get it for you".. was on hold for about 5 minutes.

He came back and told me the channel #s and said all was done, channels on in 10 minutes. I asked about not needing an install, he said they were able to get em on w/ my existing setup (110/118/119/61.5)

I said thanks, not looking to fight on this call, and hung up. I'll try again in a half hour.

For those of you getting the 1000.4 mounted to your home, where are they mounting it? I have a 500 for 110/119 on a pole in the yard and a 500 at 61.5 on the house. The 61.5 is mounted to the fascia board which is a 1X piece of cedar. I'm wondering if that board will support a 1000.4 dish problem free.

My move to HD necessitated the 61.5 dish. The signal levels were great initially, but soon afterwards, I had to go up and repoint it. Yes, I could have had them out to fix it up, but I wanted to do a little hands-on work.

I'm concerned about mounting the larger 1000.4 dish where the existing 61.5 is located. Unfounded fears?

For those that will ask, LOS to 129 does not look possible. Too many trees. EA is really my only option.

Everything will have to wait until spring as there is 6" of snow on the roof right now. I wouldn't send a tech up there at this time.

The 1K4 is not that big but installer did have to use two support arms which could be positioned at different angles - Mine was mounted on railing on third floor deck.

Yea, I agree; chances are the people who have the 110/119/61.5 setup are older, therefore less likely to visit the Internet or know this site even exists. As well, more people know what HD is than are likely to visit this site. So 40% might be a light estimate, but no one except, perhaps, Dish knows for sure.

Regardless, Dish finally seems to be implementing a plan to notify people; they probably planned to do it all along but got blindsided by the 61.5 TP failures (a guess, but an educated one). Now it's a matter of getting the fat new dish up there. :)

Hey, I resemble that remark:D, I'm not older though, I'm "mature" for my age....
I've got the 61.5/110/119 set up (installed about 4-1/2 years ago, I'm about 40 miles east of Houston) with a single 622 and the Absolute package + locals so I'm not sure if Absolute got any of the new hd.
I'm not gonna worry about a new dish or repoint for the time being (unless I lose some hd that is watched in the house). I agree that Dish doesn't keep accurate records of what birds the subs are pointed at, if they can't even keep up with owned vs leased receivers:(
Dish is hit or miss (mostly miss, IMO) when it comes to notifying subs about changes, new programming, upgrades, new receivers, etc. I used to feel sorry for the csr's who get slammed after these changes but since Charlie's moving it overseas I don't have a lotta sympathy for "Dave" and "Mary":)
I think this is another example of Dish not taking care of existing subs, imagine that!

Hey, I resemble that remark:D,

See, that right there dates you (and me, since I know what you're referring to).

I think this is another example of Dish not taking care of existing subs, imagine that!

Well, even though it doesn't make it right, they're not alone in that approach. Punishing good behavior (here, being an existing subscriber) has come to infect many parts of our society (disclaimer: nothing political).

So let me get this straight.

DISH decides to move their HD. This CAUSES CUSTOMERS TO LOSE Channels.

Dish attempts to make customers PAY to get the channels they already pay for that were lost due to Dish moving them.

You have got to be kidding.

This is why I left Satellite. I am in a forest, I can barely get 61.5. A dish 200 feet across my neighbors yard. 72.7 is right into the forest.

Phil
Sitting pretty on my FiOS with 2 yr price guarantee into 2012 and all the channels!
I wish I had the option to get FIOS here. I finally got 2 way internet access back in Sept.from the cable Co. Service Elect.

Called back in and was told to do 61.5/72.7 & 118.7/119, since I need 118.7 for international. Was told i'd still be missing some channels.

He said I couldn't do a regular EA install w/ 118.7 as a standalone since 118.7 would not get a locked signal since it would confuse w/ 119, being so close.

This doesn't sound like much of a solution, is the issue about having 118.7 as a standalone real? I thought others on here were doing that.

I still get Globo on 61.5 along w/ 118.7 but they can't tell me when it'll be turning off on 61.5, only that it will be at some point.

He said I couldn't do a regular EA install w/ 118.7 as a standalone since 118.7 would not get a locked signal since it would confuse w/ 119, being so close.
Complete and utter rubbish! This is done all the time.

It simply won't. The Dish meter was showing readings 10-15 points higher than what it is now when they first switched over to Nimiq 5 with QPSK signaling.

The Dish meter represents noise margin, not signal power.

QPSK requires less signal to be functional than 8PSK-Turbo, so on 2 transponders transmitting at exactly the same signal power, the QPSK transponder will always have more noise margin available and report a higher number than an identical transponder using 8PSK-Turbo coding.

In short: the Dish meter isn't telling you what you think it's telling you.

I get what you are saying about the readings. When they first launched the new sat at 72.7, I got readings in the mid 70's to low 80s. After they completed the 8psk changes last October the 22 , 2009, I read my signal strengths again and they were now in the low to mid 60s and a high of 70.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts