Status
Please reply by conversation.

DS0816

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 24, 2006
Happy New Year to everyone!

I called today DirecTV to add the 2-for-1 Starz/Showtime premiums to my programming subscription. (Interested existing subscribers have until March 31, 2010 to do so. The deal is for three months.)

During the call, I asked about coming, national HD channels DirecTV may add to its lineup.

Now I know about this topic. And, yes, I read TVPredictions.com. So I don't take this seriously. But I was curious and expecting to hear something along the line, "DirecTV doesn't have any channel additions planned at this time."

I was surprised to hear the customer service rep read a list of a few channels that includes some sports regionals (from Fox Sports and Comcast). One channel mentioned was Outdoor Life 2 HD. Another was, as has been reported (months ago), ESPNU HD.

Included among the nationals we'd expect to see located in the 200s and 300s on the dial were: BBC America HD, WGN America HD, and Centric HD (the channel used to be BET Jazz). Hallmark Movie Channel HD was also mentioned. Some others I'm forgetting (not that were many!), but when I had asked this question I used as suggestion possibilities the likes of AMC HD and MSNBC HD. The rep told me that he/she hadn't heard about them, which indicates they weren't on the list.

I did ask whether this was information was definite. He/she said it's simply a list of channels DirecTV intends to add during the year 2010.

The new satellite testing will be done in March.
Some time after that they'll add new HD national channels, we'll have to wait and see how many and when. No one really knows now.

I would assume (assume) that they would try to add the channels that their competition has and DTV doesn't. Off the top of my head: AMC HD, BBC HD, E! HD, G4 HD, ect. I know that U-Verse and Comcast has many that DTV doesn't... but I still won't switch.

AMC is a possibility since they signed a new agreement this week, hopefully HD is included.

Several others are expected to launch, but they haven't said what ones.

We should see new channels on the D12 sat in late April or early May from what I have read.

I suspect QVC-HD and HSN-HD will launch soon too (they pay for the channel slots)

Now I know about this topic. And, yes, I read TVPredictions.com. So I don't take this seriously. But I was curious and expecting to hear something along the line, "DirecTV

Don't listen to Swanni. He's pretty stupid to think D* would spend millions of dollars on D12 and only put 10-15 new national non-PPV channels on it. Anyone who thinks they are "psychic" and can predict the future is probably actually psycho.

The new satellite will boost DIRECTV's High-Definition capacity by 50 percent, to more than 200 HD channels, increase the number of local HD markets DIRECTV will serve and significantly expand movie choices on the DIRECTV CINEMA™ and DIRECTV on DEMAND services. DIRECTV offers more than 130 HD channels today and delivers local HD programming to 138 markets, representing 92 percent of U.S. TV households.

It appears by the press release above that Directv will add another large # of HD PPV channels. I think they have to many now.
Come on Directv add some national HD channels that people want. Directv was the HD leader now Directv is starting to fall behind, Dish has caught up.

The new satellite will boost DIRECTV's High-Definition capacity by 50 percent, to more than 200 HD channels, increase the number of local HD markets DIRECTV will serve and significantly expand movie choices on the DIRECTV CINEMA™ and DIRECTV on DEMAND services. DIRECTV offers more than 130 HD channels today and delivers local HD programming to 138 markets, representing 92 percent of U.S. TV households.

It appears by the press release above that Directv will add another large # of HD PPV channels. I think they have to many now.
Come on Directv add some national HD channels that people want. Directv was the HD leader now Directv is starting to fall behind, Dish has caught up.

That is my fear too. No more PPV. I haven't even purchased a PPV movie since the late 90's. I know others do, but I guarantee 99% of subscribers would like to see more national channels overs PPV. Adding PPV doesn't make you an "HD leader." Well, I guess it technically can, but only in their heads.

I hope BBC HD happens soon. Its one channel I really like and its been fustraiting seeing them add more HD PPV not to mention more hd sports, both which I don't watch but end up paying for, instead.

Slightly goofed in my phrasing. Poor typing on my part. What I meant was HD PPV channels, which I never use but eat up Sat bandwidth and a ton of HD Sports feeds which are part of the premium package which I do pay for but don't watch. Maybe things have changed or I was mislead when I first subscribed but to get all the trimmings, as far as every non sports HD channel, I had to take the premium pkg and the extra pkg for the other 5 channels to get em all which includes all the sports stuff I never glance at as well.

To be honest I wish they would offer a premium pkg, sans all the sports junk, at a reduced price. Let those that want it pay the extra for sports and cut those who never watch it a break. Either way I enjoy BBC and if I'm understanding correctly they are going to handle the new season of Doctor Who as well as some other fav's of mine this spring so I would love to have it in HD instead of SD.

Slightly goofed in my phrasing. Poor typing on my part. What I meant was HD PPV channels, which I never use but eat up Sat bandwidth and a ton of HD Sports feeds which are part of the premium package which I do pay for but don't watch. Maybe things have changed or I was mislead when I first subscribed but to get all the trimmings, as far as every non sports HD channel, I had to take the premium pkg and the extra pkg for the other 5 channels to get em all which includes all the sports stuff I never glance at as well.

To be honest I wish they would offer a premium pkg, sans all the sports junk, at a reduced price. Let those that want it pay the extra for sports and cut those who never watch it a break.

They do have it broke down ....
If you want sports, NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP, are all EXTRA sports that the normal sub does not get with the Premier package.
They are all EXTRA charge packages.

The RSN 's are part of your regular package, but it's ONLY YOUR LOCAL feed that you get.
If you want more RSN's you pay extra again.

The only sports you'll get with your normal package is the local RSN. Unless you get the Priemier pack which includes your RSN feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)