More powerful OTA....

mark319

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I'm just south of Natchez, MS in zip code 39120, approximately 70 miles or so from Baton Rouge, LA. The Winegard Sensar II which came with my voom is not powerful enough to receive the locals from BR. Does anyone have a recomendation on a more powerful OTA antenna that will catch these.

TIA,

Mark

Does YAGI have a website, or any particular place that I can find out more info on it and where to buy it. And I guess the main question is will it work with my VOOM system.

Thanks,

Mark

Yagi is a Type of antenna that many companies manufacture. It provides gain above and beyond what other types do. It is like the old tower TV antenna's that everyone uses for analog.

Call Voom and tell them. I did that,and my installer used a Winegard Platinum series HDTV antenna (yeah, yeah, I know the antenna isn't HD but thats what the box said). I am unsure of the model, but it is 11 feet long and I get all my locals at 95%+ signal strength. No amplifier!

Voom paid for the antenna, but my installer did charge me for some various accessories to mount the antenna. He first told me it would be less than $200 but later I got him down to "less than $100" which ended up being $75 of money from my pocket. In reality it was probably $15 of mounting hardware. Not bad for such a sweet antenna. That Sensar II must be crap.

I really do like the new antenna a lot.

--Dan

I gave up on the sensar II. I even tried to get a power amp for it, took out the diplexer, etc. I was getting 4 strong locals, and about 11 more intermittently. Funny was that to get anything required my to aim the antenna at my neighbors house, 90 degrees away from the transmitters!!!!

I finally went and bought a DB4 uhf antenna, put it way up on my roof, aimed it to Boston, got 21 local channels. Including some from 15-25 degrees away (worcester, ma, etc). Split it to the voom box and my mits 62" dlp set (it has an hd tuner).

The dlp gets the same 21 channels (actually it gets 23, don't know why the voom box ignores those extra 2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts