More RTN Subcarriers announced

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jh98

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
I found the following on northpine.com. I don't know if this will be fed to the stations FTA, or if it means changes to KWWF/Waterloo, since RTN will be carried on an HD subcarrier on the other TV station in Waterloo.

"Quincy Newspapers, Inc., has signed up to carry Equity Media's "Retro Television Network" brand on digital subchannels of all but one of its TV stations. The stations are KTIV (Sioux City, IA), KWWL (Waterloo, IA), KXLT (Rochester, MN), WQOW (Eau Claire, WI), WXOW (La Crosse, WI), WKOW (Madison, WI), WYOW (Rhinelander, WI), WAOW (Wausau, WI), WREX (Rockford, IL), WSJV (South Bend, IN), and WVVA (Bluefield, WV). No launch date was given. QNI flagship WGEM (Quincy, IL) will not carry RTN, presumably because it already has two subchannels. It's not clear what this announcement means for Equity's KWWF/22 (Waterloo), which was one of the original RTN stations; adding coverage on KWWL-DT would expand the station's coverage area."

Last edited:
article from Equity
Equity Media Holdings Corporation - RTN Announces Agreement With Quincy Newspapers, Adding 11 New Stations

LITTLE ROCK, Ark., Jan 24, 2008 (PrimeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) -- Retro Television Network (RTN), which is nationally owned and distributed by Equity Media Holdings Corporation (Nasdaq:EMDA), announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Quincy Newspapers, Inc. (QNI) to launch RTN programming on 11 stations. The new affiliates will air on the digital streams of KWWL (Cedar Rapids/Waterloo/Iowa City/Dubuque, IA), WKOW (Madison, WI), WSJV (South Bend/Elkhart, IN), WVVA (Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, WV), KXLT (Rochester, MN/Mason City, IA/Austin, MN), KTIV (Sioux City, IA), WREX (Rockford, IL), WXOW/WQOW (La Crosse/Eau Claire, WI) and WAOW/WYOW (Wausau/Rhinelander, WI).

"QNI is excited to have 11 owned and/or operated stations partner with RTN," said Ralph M. Oakley, Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of Quincy Newspapers, Inc. "The combination of their primetime hits from yesterday coupled with our local/regional news and programming will be a big hit with our viewers and advertisers. Their network fits well into our stations' digital strategies."

"Today, we are excited to announce our group deal with QNI Broadcast group and their fine team of managers in each market," said Mark Dvornik, Executive Vice President of RTN. "Retro Television Network and our 'Primetime All the Time' lineup will fill more airwaves delivering the very best hits of yesterday."

RTN is the first completely-customizable, national television network to provide a 24/7 digital feed of hit shows to each of its affiliates. The network's unique design allows each affiliate to remain in complete control while RTN runs the local and national master control from its central hub. RTN also offers customizable news and weather for each market, hosted by network-provided talent.

I hope some of these extra channels would come to Galaxy10R.

On a side note... I don't see that call in talk show with Gary anymore Friday and Saturday nights. Is it off the air?

I checked Galaxy 26 DVB-S2 and no new channels have been added yet. Still lots of room for expansion.

RTN on G26n and MPeg 4

1. for all those that have asked I am not on the air right now but hope to be again soon. I may schedule a special show in the next week or two.

2. All of our feeds are moving to dvb-s2 8psk mpeg-4
3. We have found several good fta units that work just fine
4. G3 is the next to change to dvbs2 followed by g10
5. all are in the clear
6. WSB will launch MOnday the 28th at 10am !
7. KIRO Launched last Monday
many more to come and look for a ton of new shows

Gary

Hi Gary, I miss "Unreliable Sources", any chance of a comeback? Thanks for this info! What are these Good FTA Units you are mentioning, that work with DVB-S2 8PSK? And thanks for the "Heads Up" on WSB for Monday morning at 10am. That's with-in reach of me, especially after dark.

Al

Last edited:
Someone needs to come out with a $99 DVB-S2 receiver. I will probably happen as the technology marches on.

3. We have found several good fta units that work just fine.

Gary

Gary, thanks for the info. One question:

Can you share with us some FTA units that work? :)

nope. The 9200 might have the capability because there are DVB-S2 plugs on the back but they are covered but arent active right now :(

nope. The 9200 might have the capability because there are DVB-S2 plugs on the back but they are covered but arent active right now :(

Only receiver I know of that advertises DVB-S2 is the Diamond. I think there are some overseas, a Humax or something like that. Thus why I asked. :)

1. for all those that have asked I am not on the air right now but hope to be again soon. I may schedule a special show in the next week or two.

3. We have found several good fta units that work just fine
4. G3 is the next to change to dvbs2 followed by g10
5. all are in the clear
6. WSB will launch MOnday the 28th at 10am !
7. KIRO Launched last Monday
many more to come and look for a ton of new shows

Gary

Gary, any idead when G10 will be switched over?

Status
Please reply by conversation.