More work network problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vodad

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
So our problems continue, When going to websites sometimes you have to hit refresh 2-3 times to get the page to load. or else it just takes you to bing when you type in the address completely. Even sites like yahoo, and cnn.

running windows server 2008 and several computers with vista business 64

all have the problem.

If the hardware (modem, router, firewall) is OK, this sounds like a DNS problem.
Start troubleshooting with using a static one 8.8.8.8...

Diogen.

Sounds like they are trying to filter web addresses and the box they are using to match web addresses against cannot keep up with the requests. Some routers have the ability to match the DNS request against an updated list of white/black sites. Other solutions include a an external box. Really secure has all IP addresses reverse looked up and matched against list.

No web filtering, we are a small shop, only 6 people on the network at the moment, adding 2-3 more in a few months when we go under one roof finally.

We have an outside IT consultant and they just are not doing what we are wanting at the moment, the boss knows them and had them put everything in. We are just now starting to get the boss to come around to letting us take care of this, but undoing some of what they did is a big pain. I am no IT guy, but usually can fix stuff when something goes wrong. It is just getting everything setup right in the first place. between this and the network connection for the shared drive going away, clicking on the drive does not bring it back, I have to disconnect and re-map the drive to get it back, we are going nuts.

I have suspected a DNS issue for awhile, but unfortunately need the IT guy to come fix it, and he is dragging his feet on it.

These are my last two issues, and I hope I can figure it out.

I also need suggestions on something, we are moving to a new office, getting ready to start construction now, It looks like I will be making the decisions on how to wire it, and set things up. what I would love to do is set it up so that all the computers can access the internet without having to go through the server, all the server would for in that case is for file storage. Is this difficult to do?

Thanks

...what I would love to do is set it up so that all the computers can access the internet without having to go through the server
In a normal business environment this is a no-no.
Unless this is more like a home business and everybody knows everybody.

Even for backup purposes only I'd setup a domain login for each PC with folder redirection if it's a laptop.

Diogen.

I would be fine leaving it the way it is if we can solve the issues we have. like already today I have had to disconnect and reconnect the network drive, and I just got here 10 minutes ago.