Status
Please reply by conversation.

zamar23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Mid West
Hi everyone,

In Ku-band the most popular and channel rich FTA sat in NA by now is G19 at 97W. There're some channels on other FTA Ku-band sats also quite popular, such as White Springs, RTV, This, Ion, PBS stations. But what about C-Band?

What are the most popular in North America C-band Sats and why? What are the most popular FTA channels in C-band, including these on less popular C-band sats? What size dish is required to get majority of most popular?

Does reception of analog channels require a bigger dish than reception of digital channels in C-band?

What are the most popular analog and digital sats & channels, one can receive with a 1.2 m offset mini-BUD?

Some of the more popular sats for DVB are
G16 99W..The Networks, World Harvest, analog feeds
G23 121W..Sportsman Network, Sportstime Ohio SD & HD, RFD HD, Euronews
AMC6 72W or AMC7 137W for NASA

thelist above shows what is up there 24/7 and a fresh update was done last week (by me) :) All were received on a 6 foot dish.

Thanks. Will try to hit these with my "coming soon" mini-BUD project. Well, we'll see who make it first to the finish - me or Dee_Ann. :)

Anyone else has suggestions on "most popular" or "interesting" C-band sats & channels, and the dish size able to deliver the enjoyment? Any unusual channel specs on these requiring special attention like 8psk, DVB-S2, MPEG4, HD, branded receiver, larger dish, etc?

Really depends on what your looking for, I spend much of my hunting on the far east of the arc past 72 along with casual viewing, I do watch some programs and hunt on the west part as well so I would say the most birds you can pull in the better.

Intelsat 9 (58W) is very popular here with a good selection of international channels, many in English. We normally use the 1.8m prime-focus to reserve the bigger dishes for more challenging prey, and there is still plenty of margin.

Some of the more popular sats for DVB are
G16 99W..The Networks, World Harvest, analog feeds
G23 121W..Sportsman Network, Sportstime Ohio SD & HD, RFD HD, Euronews
AMC6 72W or AMC7 137W for NASA

thelist above shows what is up there 24/7 and a fresh update was done last week (by me) :) All were received on a 6 foot dish.

I always thought that bigger is better with antennas. But, if you're getting such good performance on C-band with a 6 foot dish I'll have to consider going smaller. :)

a 6 footer works fine for almost all the DVB stuff...DVB-S2 not really

If you want to use a 4DTV then a bigger dish is much better

Thanks for the information, I am going to view the List .
I finished mounting the last 3-panels of my solid steel 8-panel 12Ft Andrew dish today, and it is big and beautiful. Each panel weighs 25lbs. I am going to mount the DMS-:BSC621-2 C-band LNB on it tomorrow, but first I need to mount the 4-steel bars that hold the Aluminum LNB holder with scaling ring.
I hope to lock onto one of these two sats tomorrow 103*W-AMC-1 or 121*W-G-23 , or even both.
That LNB "BSC621-2 " came with the dish when I bought it on Saturday, I hope it is able to receive all those channels .

You shouldn't have problems with that LNB. The only thing you won't get is any circular polarity (but I don't know anything of on C that is circular, and only the DBS sats are in circular on Ku). With the smaller dish, you get the majority of what's up there. You'll probably struggle with S2 signals and some of the very close sats (2 degrees or less seperation). But you'll have a ton of fun playing around! If you're a big sports feed hunter like me, S2 is the current "fad" so a smaller dish poses a problem.

Thanks for the info.
I prefer the 10750-Linear over the twin circular on my 36" dish for DVB Ch's on 123*W, as I believe it gives a stronger signal.
I would like to find out more about S2 , because you mentioned it, I have not had the opportunity to watch any Feed Ch's yet, but I have researched some sats that mostly do feeds like > 74*W, 79*W, 83*W, 89*W, 91*W, 99*W, 103*W.
That 79*W has 4-big name feeds (Fox,ABC,NBC,CNN)

In what regions of North America its possible to catch these sats like 40.5W, 50W and 53W? Any other circular sats can be received here?

Any update to Most Popular C-band Satellite List?

That sounds pretty good. How will this scope narrow with 1.2 offset dish equipped with C-Band LNB?

A 4' mini-bud might net you a dozen english stations to you true south and a bit to either side.
Don't expect Cband to pull anything near your horizon on a four footer.

Ku on a 4' should do very well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)