MOTOR PROJECT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mike, this is the comprehensive motor tune-up post by AcWxRadar that I mentioned.
Only thing I can see that was left out, was making sure you set your receiver to the proper lat/long and how to choose the motor mode for each satellite.
That's very receiver-dependent, of course.
The writing is clear, sticks to the point, and makes a good guide.

Alternately, the STAB motor alignment docs are good to go by, as well.
Easy to find on the internet.

Radar - I got tired of seeing the senior members answer the unique switch question every newbie posted.
There were about half a dozen common solutions, and explaining 'em every time we got a new member was getting old.
That's why I collected all the wisdom from the forum and made the Switches Simplified FAQ.
And my thinking was: "if you're doing something more sophisticated than what's here, you probably already know how to do it." ;)

I'd like to suggest your one post (above) to be the lead-in for a sticky thread (maybe later becoming a FAQ) on USALS motor alignment.
In the original Switch series, I'd post something maybe with pictures, we'd have discussion and I'd adjust, then post the next part.
Later, Iceberg came back and took just the major on-topic writing, and edited it into the FAQ we have today.
(he left out all the chit-chat)

I'm sure there are good and better motor manuals (STAB) where extra clarification could be found, if needed.
And a simple how-to add-on that was Coolsat 4-, 5-, 6000- specific, would be wonderful.

Unless something better comes along, I'll continue pointing people to the original post. ;)

Anole,

I thought you were referring to this post/thread in the FAQ... http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/190527-how-set-up-motorized-ku-band.html I kinda forgot about the one you were actually referring too.

I think I understand you plan of action here... That could work well for a lead in, if rewritten and cleaned up a little. I certainly understand your thinking regarding: "I got tired of seeing the senior members answer the unique switch question every newbie posted. There were about half a dozen common solutions, and explaining 'em every time we got a new member was getting old. That's why I collected all the wisdom from the forum and made the Switches Simplified FAQ." Stargaze and I had a similar conversation regarding the A-Z AZBox Guide when compiling it: http://www.satelliteguys.us/azbox-discussion/235827-here-new-revised-edition-az-users.html

I'll see if I can get a thread rolling on the subject.

RADAR

Radar -
Yea, once you went to the .zip file, I quite paying attention.
Looks great.
So, why not just refer people to that FAQ instead of writing up half a page?
That was certainly my goal with switches. ;)

Anyway, in the immortal words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, ....
"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something--if it ain't one thing, it's another."...!... :)

MOTOR PROJECT - WORK DAY 3 - SUCCESS!!

Thanks to all the advice and suggestions on this project. Today I learned my LARGEST lesson about small movements and one that probably cost me a day.

I started today by going back close to square 1. Have put so many inputs into the box I did a factory reset then upgraded again to current firmware. Sort of wanted to "0" out the box and start clean.

Manually drove the dish to "0" motor position, did a hard reset on motor, then repeaked in SM5 (my TS bird) with the birdog. Connected everything up to the receiver, selected USAL and input my long/lat. Hit the save - noticed that the motor MOVED just a tiny bit and my SM5 signal wasn't nearly as good. Did not notice that move when I set everything up the first time.

Thought about it for awhile and decided to loosen the AZ mount just a tad, reconnected the Birdog and repeak SM5 using a small AZ move only.

Connected everything back up and used USALS to move to either end of my intended arc (72 to 123) and everything is tracking like a Sidewinder Missle!

The small move at initialization is what was throwing me off! Only thing I can think of is since my long is 117.0 and SM5 is at 116.8, USALS moved the dish the .2 degrees to sync up when it took control??????????

Is that normal or a box/motor/software quirk?

Either way, my peak Q is about 1 point different for each bird that I tested (72, 85, 87, 97 & 123). Needless to say, I quickly buttoned everything up and snuck quietly off the roof before the sat gremlins caught me :D.

Even though everything is working great, I'd really like to understand the small motor move at initialization.

the small move is normal because 116.8 is slightly off your true south....you did it the right way by driving the dish there and THEN reaiming the motor....you could have even used 123w to aim with as long as you drive the motor there FIRST and then do your aiming.....

the small move is normal because 116.8 is slightly off your true south....you did it the right way by driving the dish there and THEN reaiming the motor....you could have even used 123w to aim with as long as you drive the motor there FIRST and then do your aiming.....

Glad that was the right thing to do. I thought I'd read a great deal about doing a motor -but I never read anything about that!

Great to hear your tracking on the arc! You have found the secret to performing flawless and fast motor installs!

USALS !!!!
(or Go To X for USALS compatible motors and receivers)

Thanks to whoever (Ice I'd suspect) merged these threads.

I do think that the motor alignment sticky idea has a great deal of merit.

I'm certainly not qualified to write it - but having new experience and success under my belt I'm more than willing to do the edit!

Ta-Da>I suspected that azimuth was the culprit. Glad you got it going right. My first one took me a little while to tweak, day or two, but it's been going almost 2years now without me having to touch it a bit!

...tracking like a Sidewinder Missile!

Congrats, Mike! - :D - Ain't it wonderful? - :cool:

The Motor installation sticky already exists, but alas..... well hidden in the FAQ subforum!
I thought we had one, but forgot to look and recommend it.
When we have these things documented, the first thing to do should be to aim members at those docs.
THEN, when they have questions, we should give them with help. ;)

edit:
The new advanced search is worse than the old advanced search before the software upgrade.
I believe the better option is to use Google, and restrict it to the SatGuys site.
The new button called Google Custom Search, may be sufficient.

icon14.png
...tracking like a Sidewinder Missile!

Congrats, Mike! - :D - Ain't it wonderful? - :cool:

Yea, but don't forget - normal was to shoot 2 of 'em (tracking issues ;))

Congratulations Mike! I'll be doing a double install (both SG-9120Bs) in the next few days to reinstall my motorized dishes on their new Slimline DTV NPRM mounts.

Yep, the trick to USALS is to tell the motor to move to a given satellite (best if it is a satellite close to true south), then aim away!

forgot to look and recommend it

Forgot to look? Hell. I looked and I knew what I was looking for and still couldn't find it! I had to ASK where it was and I posted it! It should be copied to a Sticky in the FTA forum header. Sorry for tootin' my own horn, but that is not easy to find. Search doesn't work very well, I am sorry to say.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)