Motor through a DiSEqC switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrweather

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I've heard that if you've got a motorized setup you should try to avoid controlling the motor through a DiSEqC switch. Something about the current needed to turn the motor will eventually cause the switch to burn out.

Is there any truth to it?

I ask because my current setup has an 18" dish for 119 audio and a 36" Fortec for FTA going through a switch into my Coolsat 5000. It's not an issue now because the Fortec dish is fixed at G10R. But I recently received my replacement Stab HH120 that'll be going in as soon as it cools down and I don't to burn out the switch once everything is hooked up.

Course, the other option is to get an Invacom QPH-031 and that would do it all! :)

If you put the DiSEqC switch after the motor you should have no problem, thats the way I have my Invacom QPH-031 cabled!

(You could just run the 2nd port of the switch to your 18" dish)

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the 18" dish and the 36" dish are at opposite ends of the house (don't ask me why it just worked out that way). Moving the switch to the FTA dish would mean a looong run of coax from the small dish.

How good are those A/B coax switches for satellite work? Another option would be to install one by the tv and manually switch between the two dishes.

Sidenote...

Got the replacement HH120 installed last night and it's working great. It seems to be tracking the birds a lot better too. My TS is AMC-5 and when I motor over to G10R I noticed only a very slight reduction in signal quality compared to when I had the 36" dish fixed on G10R. For example, 11720 was about 68-70% on when the dish was fixed. Now it's 66-68% on the motor.

Still gives a watchable signal on the Coolsat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)