MOTOR UPDATE and THANK YOU!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well good luck i will also be trying to improve my setup
maybe sleep a bit but this is my weekend off so i will be jumping back and forth via internet.

First off, I wanted to make a new post to make sure everyone that has offered their help and advice to me sees this. If needed, it can go with the other post.

Anyway, THANK YOU EVERYONE! My motor install went PERFECT! I have never had a project (other than playing with the Primestars) go so smooth! The motor install was a snap, and I never swore, not even once!

I started out by seeing how far west my Primestar woud go. I stopped at IA7 - 129w as that is the farthest west I wanted to go. No problem! So, since my pole I have in the ground for my Primestar was dead on plumb, I decided to put the motor set up there. So, I took the Fortec 80cm down off the shed roof, took off the Primestar, and mounted the motor and 80cm there. Got all the settings set, pointed motor/mount, put in my lat and long, told it go to IA6, tweaked a hair (az and elv) and boom! Tightened everything, went to all my satellites I had before (changed menu settings of course), and all the satellites are dead on, just as strong as they were when dish was stationary, and very strong signals. WOW, EASY! Of course I had great help! THANKS ALL!

Now, I need to go get some f connectors and shorten some cables, caulk some holes in the shed, and get some cement to fill the pole with. Of course I am starting at the top of the satellite list and scanning now :)

WAY COOOL!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes sir, I am! Well, lets just say without all the help and guidance I receive on here, I would not be where I am. I am still amazed - I set it up to the tss, tweaked it and all the sats are right there! I didn't think it was possible to be easy! I have 8 birds scanned in, and am going out to shorten the cable and fill the pole with cement. I had to go to Home Depot to get F connectors.....they were on sale - 2 for $3.96, usually $5.96! OUCH! I bought a baf of 100 from Sadoun for $14, but I was out :-( Gotta find some stuff to order so I can get some :)

Ooopsss!! This whole time I have had my motor set up different but has worked fine.

I've had the motor set to "0", then aimed the assembly for my true south satellite AMC-5 at 79 West. MY longitude is 80.1. Any thoughts????

techno935 said:
Ooopsss!! This whole time I have had my motor set up different but has worked fine.

I've had the motor set to "0", then aimed the assembly for my true south satellite AMC-5 at 79 West. MY longitude is 80.1. Any thoughts????

I guess if it works go for it :)

techno935 said:

Set the motor for zero. Then go to your nearest true south satellite. Let USALS move it to your nearest true south satellite. Then tweak it. Go to your extreme east, tweak, extreme west, tweak, keep repeating.

Congratulations Larry! I knew it was supposed to work that easy. Glad it did, with my luck, I always forget something or do something silly stupid. And then it takes awhile to figure out what it is, and it's usually right there in front of me. Always the simplest little thing.

Al

Thanks! The only thing I did wrong, is I had it set to a Universal instead of Standard, but caught it after about 30 seconds :)

I am LOVING this motor! I knew I should have got it from jump. BUT, I wanted to make sure I liked this hobby before I bought a bunch of stuff for it. So, now I have spare parts - Primestars, LNBs and switches if anyone is in need :)

iafirebuff said:
I am LOVING this motor! I knew I should have got it from jump. BUT, I wanted to make sure I liked this hobby before I bought a bunch of stuff for it. So, now I have spare parts - Primestars, LNBs and switches if anyone is in need :)

Welcome to the Motor Club!! :welcome

Congrats, Larry, on the success! It was good that you started by aiming stationary dishes and got the motor later. You got to be a pro at aiming the dish first, which makes a motor install easier :)

THANKS! Here is what I contrubute my sucess to:

1) The help I got from you all

2) My endless hours of aiming the ol Primestar :)

Now, I need to talk someone locally into getting a set up so i can help them set it up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)