Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Motor mounting question

I been reading about motor setup. When I mount the motor, do I set it up so that it is facing my true south, or my true south satellite? Maybe some of this will make more sense once the motor arrives :) Thanks!

You want to mount the motor so that it's zero is aimed at your true south satellite. Also, you MUST make darn sure that the pole is absolutely plumb. If you have a level, test the pole on both north/south and east/west axis as well as nw/se, sw/ne just to make sure... and make sure that it ain't gonna budge at all. Being just a fraction of an inch off of plumb can cause the ends of the arc to be be off. When you finally get true south, tweak motor to get good signal on ts... but then also tweak on ends of the arc.... Uh, when mounting, basically you mount the motor, leaving the C clamp sort of lose enough to swivel the entire motor. You don't change the motor's position at first startup when you get going since you want it zeroed in on true south. When trying to find ts, attach coax direct to the lnb and forget about the motor til you are on ts so that you don't accidentally activate usals or diseqc and move off of zero on the motor. Later, you can put the motor in the loop... hooking it up, when everything is done goes from receiver -> motor->switch->lnb, unless you are using a lnb with only one out, in which case the switch is not necessary... I have an invacom quad, which is why I need the switch.

I am not 100% sure, but since you are due north of me, which I think you are pretty close 93 might be your ts. When you get the motor mounted, I find it easier to swivel in to ts, roughly finding a strong signal... then tweak elevation on the pole coming off of the motor - not on the motor itself... it's easier to do it that way since the motor should be set at your lattitude setting, and the offset should be on the other - it's a lot easier to lift the dish mm at a time or so then it is to lift the motor to adjust elevation... skew on ts should be straight up/down and the motor should be able to adjust the skew on its own as it moves through the arc. You will probably need to tweak lnb location just a smidge to tweak in arc's outer edges, like on 123 g10r, and on the other side of the arc... You can use usals for most of the arc, which makes things a lot easier than diseqc, but far ends of arc, for Hispasat, and a couple of others may need to use 1.2 instead... Just make darn sure that mount is totally plumb. I have a mount on my roof from Soudon that's suppossed to give absolutely plumbness, but I found that after several months of motoring around, it fell out of plumb a little... I finally fixed that a few weeks back by putting a couple of extra screws on the roof just to the right of and above the mount, and ran some copper wire from the screw to the mount to nudge it in to absolutely perfect plumbness. I like that way of doing things since if it rusts out eventually or whatever, I can go back and just add more wire, preferably a bit more weatherproof, down the road. You probably won't have the problem since I think you'll be mounting in to the ground, but either way, make darn sure the thing is 100% plumb if you want to get the full arc at as good of a quality as possible. Adding some extra lines to the ground around the pole, like you'd see going off of a tent to hold it in place, might not be a bad idea, if the pole isn't dead on plumb on level in all directions.

Have fun setting up your motor.

Larry
I forget what longitude you're at but you want to aim it at true south. If you dont have an exact true south satellite, use USALS to move the motor FIRST then aim the dish/motor

as an example, I am at 93.5 so I use USALS and move the motor to 93.0 then aim. That way when you get to the far ends of the arc, the signal will still be good :)

If you are within .2 of a satellite, this really isnt needed because the motor doesnt move much

also set the latitude for the motor the same as your latitude and DONT CHANGE IT

the dish elevation can be adjusted but not the motor

i think i'm one of the ones that fall out of the norm

i did everything listed and everybit of it is good info . I can get the arc from 79 degrees to to 107 degrees but i couldn't hit it with USALS and i do suspect below bracket being part of the problem.

also another problem i encountered is i used a lightweight fencepost type pole from lowes and its 6ft above ground so with any wind. i get movement from the dish.

now my last point and i did get this idea from someone (in the thread primestar & sg2100) who mounted their dish either on the side of their houst or it looks like it . i removed the motor shaft and turned it 180 degres, my reason for doing this is when i set the motor elevation and the dish elevation i was looking at the ground. so i reversed the shaft and tuned the satellites in by trial and error.

now after i tuned and retuned and made minor adjustments and tweaked everything still could only get most of the arc . then took my book out and checked everything again. you know i think you can troubleshoot too much...... because after a week of checking and rechecking everything, i gave it a break ( mostly cause of working) and went back out and looked things over and noticed my motor bracket is mounted upside down. this makes me have to reverse the shaft and where i can't use the right elevation/declination markings.

so now i will redo everything and try USALS again... its a good thing i'm still having fun :)

at least we learn from our mistakes :)

motor latitude is 42 (there is one side that says LATITUDE and one says ELEVATION). Use Latitiude

Since you're at 92.3 I'd do the USALS trick and aim for IA6 (93W)

THANKS! I will set as listed above, and will aim the dish for IA6 (93w) :) Getting excited! Now what should I do with all my extra dishes, lnbs, switches, etc?

I have 2 Primestars (I might use 1), and 3 or 4 (depending) Lnbs, 3 Diseqcs (2 new in box) and a 22k, Plus a ish 500 with lnbs and a sw-21. Sheds getting full! Better bring a uhaul :)

iafirebuff, you better hang on to them for a while. You know you're going to want to play with them some more. Or, better yet, leave the fixed ones where they are, so the rest of the folks can enjoy what you've already got, while you're scanning the skies.

Al

Well I only have 1 receiver. I might leave one primestar up for G10 (if I can hit it from where it is at). Now that the low tp's are stronger on G10, I don't need a bigger dish.

Well, got the FedEx tracking # from PSB, motor is due to be delivered Wed. WOW! FAST service! So far the 2 companies I have ordered from are great! I highly recommend PSB and Sadoun for your FTA needs. It's nice to have great suppliers to pull from!

mastermesh said:
You want to mount the motor so that it's zero is aimed at your true south satellite.
Actually, zero should be aimed at his own true south. Then, he should use the receiver to move it to his true south satellite's postion. Then, he can physically tweak the whole assembly for best reception before locking down the bolts.

Am I wrong in that assesment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)