Motorized HD pkg system question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thbjr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'm looking for some advice for a noob. I'm currently watching G19 on a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra and am happy. I recently moved it with it from AMC4 over to G19. I'm looking at a pkg deal that includes a SatHawk PVR800 CI HD DVB-S/S2 FTA Reciever and a Sadoun PowerTech D G280B HH Motor. My questions are, thoughts on the reciever and motor (brand) and with a combo like this, can someone tell me how many FTA HD channels are available?
Ths website where this pkg is listed has a link to this site. Would the HD channels listed there be available, like PBS? Are all those channels FTA?
Thanks for your help and insight.
Tom

IMO, there isn't much HD on Ku band that is free viewing or available with a typical small dish, bigger is always better. What you may be looking at on Lyngsat.com are the C-band listings (4 digit frequencies) where most of all the HD free channels are. this means you need a BIG dish, a 10 ft is recommended to get quality signal on the DVB-S2 signals, although you can still get HD channels with smaller than 10 ft such as 6 to 8 ft. The receiver and motor are good, I can personally say the motor is an excellent choice! those motors are fast and you don't have to wait long between channel changes from sat to sat. you might check the receiver review thread for more info.

BTW, the encrypted channels on Lyngsat.com are specified with the encryption method, just look down the list and review them. you'll need to learn how to interpret Lyngsat also, I think there's a tutorial somewhere in this forum.

PBS-HD is available on 125W AMC-21 (Ku). There are at least two full-time channels there (East and West). Audio is AC-3, so you would need a device that decompresses Dolby Digital for the sound.

Tom, There's not a lot of Hd on the Ku band. Cband is where its at for HD stuff. The PBS HD stuff is good. Several channels I'm thinking 4 or 5 HD channels total. If you you can get a Cband setup you'll be happy....Blind

I forgot to mention the FOX Movie channel and two FX channels on C-band, although these 3 channels aren't HD, there is one FX East, the National Geographic and FOX Business News channels are HD on G-17 (91.0°W). Some channels are tagged as encrypted but are currently in the clear and only on C-band. Many of hobbyist's have obtained BUD's for free and with a small investment, a little work and a space in the yard you can have one.

I also have sadouns Solomend prv 800 (same as the sathawk) and his motorized package which includes the DG280 and have been very happy with it so far.The only HD i have seen so far is the PBS feed and like others have said the c band is the place to go for the most HD.

While there are not many HD channels on Ku (really only PBS on 125W), there are PLENTY of HD sports wild feeds on Ku, if that is something you're interested in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)