No quality here either. Sigh.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drboyddrboyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
US
Either I'm channeling "Trying My Best," or I'm just not a quality kinda guy. (My wife would vote for the second option).

So, I'm all hooked up with the QPH-031 the WS 9036 dish, the SG9120 motor, the AzBox Ultra. I got it close with the measurements at due south, and then I moved the dish with the receiver to Anik F2 at 111.1 West. I checked the dish with my cheapo-beepo-needle meter, and one bump up and a mini-bump to the west, and Mister Meter began to sing.

Except...

Now I get back downstairs, and I've got good (85%) signal strength, but zero quality.

It's pretty much the same story on all the satellites; good strength, but no quality; I haven't seen the quality scale budge a bit.

My LNB type is set in the receiver to 10750.

Where should I start?:confused:

Are you tuned into a known active transponder? You could be on a satellite, but if the receiver is not set to an active transponder, you will get no quality.

Signal strength basically means your LNB is connected and receiving power. You could point the dish to the ground and still get high strength, so all that really tells you is that you have a good connection with the LNB.

I've never trusted those cheap "squeal" meters. They'll find DBS signals well, but are not that useful for linear signals. The best meter to use is a small TV and your receiver out at the dish site. You can get instant feedback that way, which is valuable in aiming the dish.

I feel your pain!I was in your shoes not more than 2 weeks ago.I was getting nothing but 45 sig strength/5 Quality no mater how good i thought i was at aiming at my true south satellite.I agree with others that one of those cheapo satellite meters wont do much.When finding your true south satellite! being able to see a tv screen is a must.Since the receiver i have only seems to work correct threw HDMI i don't have the option of placing a tv near the dish.I had to use a video web cam ,via a laptop to do the job.I have found that there is a fine line between seeing anything change on the sig/q meters and getting good signals.Make sure you start out by using a strong active TP on the satellite you want to get.In my case i used TP 12051v/6891 on AMC6 72w and use lnb 10750.Hope this helps! Stan

Stan, what was the problem with the SatHawk that you only could use HDMI? The analog outputs work on mine, although I think you have to be sure to set it to 480i, I don't think it'll output HD and SD simultaneously.

Stan, what was the problem with the SatHawk that you only could use HDMI? The analog outputs work on mine, although I think you have to be sure to set it to 480i, I don't think it'll output HD and SD simultaneously.
At the time i was using the Neusat receiver which needed the HDMI to work.Had cam set up when the SatHawk came in so i used that.havent used anything but hdmi cable for it so i cant say if other set ups would work or not.

OK, I've also got a Coolsat 6000, not hooked up. Outside of hauling it and a little tv up on the roof, would it gain me any advantage downstairs?

OK, I've also got a Coolsat 6000, not hooked up. Outside of hauling it and a little tv up on the roof, would it gain me any advantage downstairs?

you could try running a blind scan with it and see if you are in fact on a satellite, then with The List figure out which satellite you are pointed at.

GL, Eric

Either I'm channeling "Trying My Best," or I'm just not a quality kinda guy. (My wife would vote for the second option).

So, I'm all hooked up with the QPH-031 the WS 9036 dish, the SG9120 motor, the AzBox Ultra. I got it close with the measurements at due south, and then I moved the dish with the receiver to Anik F2 at 111.1 West. I checked the dish with my cheapo-beepo-needle meter, and one bump up and a mini-bump to the west, and Mister Meter began to sing.

Except...

Now I get back downstairs, and I've got good (85%) signal strength, but zero quality.

It's pretty much the same story on all the satellites; good strength, but no quality; I haven't seen the quality scale budge a bit.

My LNB type is set in the receiver to 10750.

Where should I start?:confused:

DrBoyd,

If you are using the satellite Anik F2 @ 111.1°W as your true south satellite, keep in mind that all the Ku band channels on this sat are ShawDirect channels and are Digicipher II. Therefore, you WON'T detect any quality readings on the AZBox from these signals.

Lyngsat does not show anything other on this sat at this time, so unless they have left out other providers, it is doubtful that your receiver can process the signals to display quality levels. The AZBox won't do Digicipher II.

RADAR

P.S. The other bands on this sat are Ka-Band for WildBlue internet (which won't function with your equipment) and C-Band signals. You will have to test another nearby satellite to acutally display quality readings. Try 113.0°W SatMex 6.

Last edited:
As one who uses 111.1w for aligning their true south, I take exception with the last post.

Lyngsat isn't correct at times. Not sure why this doesn't show up, but it is included for reference.

As stated in the strong transponder thread, there is at least one DVB transponder on 111.1ºw

However, I do agree with the other poster who made reservations about using the cheapo satellite meters. Especially with DBS providers at 110ºW, their power will overwhelm trying to use such a meter for fine tuning. They don't tell you anything about quality, just signal level...

I would recommend using a receiver and TV to peak the dish, unless the OP wants to go for a laps record going up and down that ladder.

EDIT: My receiver scans six DVB transponders on 111.1. However, I won't post the freq and SR because they might be feeds. (that might go away)

Radar did give a good recommendation for using 113ºW. 12080 on that satellite is pretty strong.

I use the closest satellite. So, if 113 is closer, or stronger it would be good also if you use USALS to steer the dish.

Last edited:
Whoa!

SatMex6 shows in the built-in sat list on this box as 118.8 W. And it didn't show a transponder at 12080;there was one each at 12076 and 12084. From the Lyngsat list, it looks like that could be C band... ??

I added a SM6 at 113, and added a transponder at 12080, but no luck.

PEEK-CHURES!!!!

All-righty then!

I did a blind scan on what the box thought was AMC 15/18 at 105W, and I actually found channels! With real pictures and stuff!!

Woo-hoo!!!!:D:D:D

The rest of the story is that the channels I scanned in are actually on AMC 2/4 at 101W. So now I know my elevation is about a degree too low, and I'm off 6 point something degrees east to west.

Now I know where I am!!!!!:cool:

All-righty then!

I did a blind scan on what the box thought was AMC 15/18 at 105W, and I actually found channels! With real pictures and stuff!!

The rest of the story is that the channels I scanned in are actually on AMC 2/4 at 101W. So now I know my elevation is about a degree too low, and I'm off 6 point something degrees east to west.

Attaboy !!! Sorry, I mean, attaboyd!

All-righty then!

I was thinking the same as I was reading until I reached this post, no need for me to say it again mind you. The signal strength can look like you're really close but can actually be off one bird as you discovered. So now you're learning from a tough but rewarding experience... doesn't it feel good!!!
I'm happy to see your progress and your joy :D Good work!!!:up

I bet it felt good to see that first signal quality jump and getting a station.See! there are satellites up there!its not a myth:D.now some fine tuning and your all set.:up

As one who uses 111.1w for aligning their true south, I take exception with the last post.

Lyngsat isn't correct at times. Not sure why this doesn't show up, but it is included for reference.

As stated in the strong transponder thread, there is at least one DVB transponder on 111.1ºw

However, I do agree with the other poster who made reservations about using the cheapo satellite meters. Especially with DBS providers at 110ºW, their power will overwhelm trying to use such a meter for fine tuning. They don't tell you anything about quality, just signal level...

I would recommend using a receiver and TV to peak the dish, unless the OP wants to go for a laps record going up and down that ladder.

EDIT: My receiver scans six DVB transponders on 111.1. However, I won't post the freq and SR because they might be feeds. (that might go away)

Radar did give a good recommendation for using 113ºW. 12080 on that satellite is pretty strong.

I use the closest satellite. So, if 113 is closer, or stronger it would be good also if you use USALS to steer the dish.

I stand corrected!

RADAR

GuapoHarry,

I wonder why Lyngsat does not display that one TP on their main (typical) search pages? Obviously, they have the data available since your link is somehow derived from Lyngsat. I went back and looked at their main search page and tried the various options, but I couldn't locate the same page that you linked to.

That makes Lyngsat a little less helpful (at times). Usually they have good information, although not always updated in a timely manner. I entered that DVBS TP that was shown in your link to my AZBox Premium list. Now I have one more satellite that I can use to check my arc tracking! That's always a good thing. :)

RADAR

Actually, I set the box to blind scan the AMC 15/18 sat, for lack of anything more productive to do, and went upstairs. About an hour later, the wife says, "You've got five TV stations and four radio stations."

And I'm like "WT#!?!?"

But it was real!! @party

I sat there and watched the stations for like half an hour with my mouth hanging open! I just wonder how anybody ever did this stuff without message boards and the internet(s)....
:shocked

I bet it felt good to see that first signal quality jump and getting a station.See! there are satellites up there!its not a myth:D.now some fine tuning and your all set.:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)