No Video on my Edision OS Mio+ 4k

Although all of my 12 vdc devices are running on solar power with a power bus now behind my tv.
I kinda' remember my osmio4k cooked the output filter capacitor in its wart. It spontaneously rebooted and then one morning I smelled that smell and Skynyrd wasn't even playing.
Again a long shot but even is static voltage is present at the barrel, wondering if it is able to provide the current under load needed to switch out of 480.
Dang.While the cover was off it would have been cool to see the pcb layout. Especially if there is an HDMI controller IC between the Broadcom and HDMI port.
Really rooting for you there dude.
5R2P Diode array circuit too tiny for me to work on... maybe in my younger days.. chip dimensions 2.5×1.0×0.5mm.. line 40 of these chips up the long way and you would have the length of a cigarette..
WIN_20230720_00_03_01_Pro.jpg

20230720_001645.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-20 000752.jpg

Last edited:
Doorguru Post #25 of that thread over there on how to clear the slots:

"
Terminal (or putty) is the easiest way to do this.
Telnet to the receiver. Slots are as follows:
mmcblk1p9 = 4
mmcblk1p7 = 3
mmcblk1p5 = 2
mmcblk1p3 = 1

As an example, To clean slot #4, enter the following in terminal:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1p5 bs=1M count=1

You may also mount the files system for slots and adjust the files or read the files or do other things that need file access.
Examples:
mkdir /media/slot4 && mount /dev/mmcblk1p9 /media/slot4
mkdir /media/slot3 && mount /dev/mmcblk1p7 /media/slot3
mkdir /media/slot2 && mount /dev/mmcblk1p5 /media/slot2
mkdir /media/slot1 && mount /dev/mmcblk1p3 /media/slot1 "

Then after they are all cleared, I think you would use the USB pendrive to boot up, and the USB image (NOT the multiboot in this case) set to FORCE to flash Slot #1. It's all in that thread

Reactions: Titanium and arlo

"
mmcblk1p9 = 4
mmcblk1p7 = 3
mmcblk1p5 = 2
mmcblk1p3 = 1

You may also mount the files system for slots and adjust the files or read the files or do other things that need file access.
Examples:

Then after they are all cleared, I think you would use the USB pendrive to boot up, and the USB image (NOT the multiboot in this case) set to FORCE to flash Slot #1. It's all in that thread
oops??
mmcblk1p9 = 4
mmcblk1p7 = 3
mmcblk1p5 = 2
mmcblk1p3 = 1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1p9 bs=1M count=1

"
mmcblk1p9 = 4
mmcblk1p7 = 3
mmcblk1p5 = 2
mmcblk1p3 = 1

Examples:

So, I cleared the slots. Now when I boot up It stays stuck on the EDISION splash screen and I am unable to connect with Webif. Does it sound like I did it correctly? Also no longer shown in my network map..

Last edited:
So, I cleared the slots. Now when I boot up It stays stuck on the EDISION splash screen and I am unable to connect with Webif. Does it sound like I did it correctly? Also no longer shown in my network map..
Yes, now force flash it with the USB image file, by putting it back into the USB port an powering on

I'm lightly monitoring this thread. When I was suspicious of my wall wart, I decided to try an external power supply. Don't do this! The slightly higher voltage from the power supply literally smoked my Edision. My original problem was something like yours: it worked when I turned it off. Months later, I tried to power up and I couldn't get it to show via HDMI to my TV. My theory is it was made wonky from a nearby lightning strike months earlier and never worked quite right after that.

Worst case...keep the old Edision carcass for parts. I bought a new Edision Mio+ and it's great to have a working model once again.

I plan on buying a replacement receiver. I decided on the Amiko Mini HD265.

It is all I currently need for my single LNB fixed dish and @ $80.00, it's inexpensive .

Any reasons not to? Are there better choices?

Reactions: Doorguru
TNAP 5 in slot one. Played with the video settings in Webif.

No change.

Still no HDMI video. I am kicking a dead horse.
Hi there,

I'm the person who had encountered similar problem last year and posted in the thread on LegitFTA

Are you still able to navigate the menus using the front pannel display? Like I had posted on the thread at LegitFTA, in most cases, if I change the resolution and then cancel it instead of confirming the change, when it lands back on the original res I get a picture

It's not always successful
It highly depends on the TV - It works quite well with my 4-year old Samsung, with an old Toshiba, but not with my 2007 Sony Bravia. Occasionnaly it works right upon bootup, but that's rare.

In the end, that makes the receiver rather inconvenient to use, and I now mostly use it as a "field receiver", that I can bring to the dish when adjusting.

my guess is that the HDMI port hardware is damaged in that it often fails to negotiate with the HDMI target, and that the way the target reacts has an impact on that handshake. Not sure why the trick of changing resolution (and cancelling it) makes that handshake work, while it fails when part of the bootup.

Thanks for the info. I read your thread at LegitFTA and tried your resolution tricks with negative results, but then again, maybe my TV is not compatible. I also had it hooked to a PC monitor and changed the settings using Webif. I assume it didn't matter being connected to both (ethernet and HDMI) at the same time, Maybe your component damage is different from mine, allowing you to get a picture with your method. Never the less.. losing HDMI output seems to be a common problem on STB's.

I ordered another receiver today, but will hang onto the Mio for a while. I will probably give it to a forum member who might be able to do something with it. I no longer need such an advanced STB, but it would have been nice if I could have gotten it working.

Admin from LegitFTA just sent me a temp password so I can log in. I will see if I missed some info to resolve my issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)