Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I received (via my dad) an old audio cabinet. Nice little unit so now that I am finally ready to get my analog setup working permanently I wanted to put the 2 Toshiba TRX1420's in this cabinet

But they're about 3/4" too wide to fit horizontally

Can I mount these vertically? Will that do any harm?

Both are Toshiba TRX-1420's with no VCII board in them

Once upon a time, when electronic components and modules tended to be less efficient than they are today, the heat dissipation in many video products did not have much surplus cooling capability and sometimes it would be inadequate if a device were not oriented as it was engineered to be oriented. I remember with the Advent 1000A Videobeam TV's, which had floor projectors that looked like giant Norelco shavers, some people tried ceiling mounting them and they had all sorts of heat related problems because the heat did not come off the cooling fins and dissipate in the manner in which it was engineered to, but I haven't had any problems like that in over a decade.

Most commercial DirecTV headend racks mount all of the receivers on edge. Six Director series receivers or eight D10/11s can fit side by side on one rack shelf with less than half an inch between them and experience no thermal problems if the room temperature is moderate.

Iceberg said:
they'll be enough ventilation

My GI analog receiver has the BIG transformer on the left side . That is where most of the heat comes from .

If I were to turn it on its edge , I would put that side up where the heat did not have to pass through the rest of the receiver .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
My GI analog receiver has the BIG transformer on the left side . That is where most of the heat comes from .

If I were to turn it on its edge , I would put that side up where the heat did not have to pass through the rest of the receiver .

Wyr

It's a different beast, but the same concept. In the early 90's I used to manage several hundred PC's. Users liked to stand them on end to save deskspace. We had the same issue with heat, and it was always the ventilation for the power supply. If the power supply was down, they'd block the vents and we sometimes had heat issues. As long as you keep your vents clear, there shouldn't be an issue. I've never really noticed my Toshiba 1520 running all that hot anyway, so I don't think its a big issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts