Mounting a 2" mount on a 1 5/8" motor shaft

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChuckS2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Guys - I can't believe this actually worked so I have to brag about it :D

Problem: Just bought an SG2100 motor with a 1 5/8" shaft, but my Globecast dish mounts on a 2" pole.

Solution: Go down to Lowes lumber and pick up a 56 cent 1 1/2" pvc connector - amazingly it's just the right size: about 1 5/8" on the inside and about 2" outside diameter. Trim off the mold flashing and ream out the ridge on the inside and it is a very tight fit on the motor. Cut a slot lengthwise down the side so it can expand a little bit and also let the outter clamp squeeze down on the motor shaft. It works perfectly and only costs 56 cents, so I don't have to buy a whole 'nother dish mount. Luckily, with the dish angle set for my 30 - 5.8 = 24.2 degrees, the dish *just about* hits the motor shaft. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• sleeve_spacer.jpg
    sleeve_spacer.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 206
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 202
Nice work!

I did something similar with my 2 3/8" primestar / Channelmaster mount.

If you have any problems with your PVC adaptor down the road (I doubt you will), DMS sells a 50mm downtube for the SG2100 that would be pretty much perfect for you.

How to best aim a motorized dish

While I managed to get the motorized dish working with the spacer, I'm still learning how best to aim it. As you know there is the main polar elevation set with the motor bracket, and a small 30 - 6 = 24 declination set with the dish bracket. Which angle is the best to 'tweak' on your due south satellite? It appears that you can tweak one up a degree and the other down a degree and still hit the due south OK, but which matters most for getting the whole arc right? I was able to hit everything from 74 to 103 ok, except the PBS stuff at 87 wasn't optimum.

The motor elevation should NEVER be altered (make sure the pole/mast is exactly level), only the dish elevation should be changed to peak in the signal :)

Thanks Shawn. *Now* you tell me ;) about the 50mm downtube.

BTW, is it possible to work the SG2100 upside down?

Thanks Pete - looks like I didn't invent anything new!

It just occurred to me that with my Globecast disk just on the verge a hitting the smaller motor shaft that the 50mm shaft is not an option.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Applying for the Whats up there area? Read this first!

Satellites with Max FTA Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)