Moving Elevation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I am trying to get things back the way I had them before trying to install a Wide Band Corrotor unit. I have a 10 feet Dish, Regular Chaparral Corrotor II with C/Ku Aspen LNBs, Pansat 3500 and 18" Mover. The first time I installed it it was hard to find my true South Sat (AMC9). ONce I did that within time I got good at this, I was moving the dish, move the LNBs in and out, etc trying to get good signal and always was able to get back to good signal and track the belt with no problem.
Then I tryied to add a Wide Band Chapparral to get NSS806 and at the same time cut the scalar ring to add a DSS. Both changes at the same time, and because I was so used to the system I did not mark anything before removing parts (big mistake I know). Well, I was never able to get great signal with the Wide Band and then decided to go back to the original system. I did that this past Friday and Yesterday. Everything is like before except for the scallar Ring which has a DSS in it. Then I started trying to track the belt. Well, I can track the belt but as I move down from AMC9 to AMC5, SBS6, AMAZONAS, PAS 9, PAS1, PAS3R, etc I need to adjust the elevation down too. I do not know what can be wrong.

I go to AMC9 with is my true south sat, get the best signal I can 75% to 90%. Then move the SAT to the EAST and can get AMC5 but then If I go up the latter and move the dish down just a little then the signal gets a lot better. Then I continue moving donw to the next sat SBS6 and if I move the elevation down a little then I get great signal, and so on. By the time I get to the last sat on the eat (AMC12) and continue moving the elevation down I get great signal, BUT now if I go back to AMC9 or AMC5 etc, I can not get them. I will have to mannally adjut the elevation up.

I am SUPER sure the feed is centered, I measure it like 100 times. I have change the F/d all setting, .42 to .36 and still does not work. And when I move the elevation to get satellites I get great signal on each one of them 80% to 100% in several cases, but again, moving elevation mannually.

You mean the declination? No, I did not move the declination. The dish is on a 17 foot pole, so I move it all the way to the east and un-screw the legs from the scalar ring to cut it to add the DSS then put everything back.

Sounds like your dish has moved off it's true south. Do as dfergie suggested and turn your dish to the right or left, first put it on your true south sat (AMC9) and fine tune it. As you move the dish to the east, it will get better or worse. If it gets worse, try turning it in the opposite direction. As you do this you may have to go back to AMC9 and fine tune it some more. Eventually you should hit the right mark.

Al

Your post does not exclude the possibility of a shift in the polar axis or offset elevation since it only states that you are sure the lnb is properly centered now. If there is a chance it wasn't on the previous installation (north or south of center) that would also throw the current arc off so you may have to check both.

Just thought of another possibility. Don't know how you reached your dish as high as you say it is. But, if you had a ladder or something else leaning against it, perhaps you somehow caused it to lean off center and/or out of level. This is just a thought and sure hope it's not the case. Then, you would need to get it back on level or plumb.

Al

guys thanks for your help.

Well, it was so easy and I was only thinking about all of the super technical stuff.

as SDORADUS said, it was a shift in the polar axis, I just needed to make sure the screws were really tight and that made it. Now I am getting everything just fine. I am getting so much signal that my tv is about to explode, jajaja. Thanks again, this is a really nice hobby, always new things to learn. Thanks all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)