Moving from Comcast need advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cnaimo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Central Mass
Hi guys planning on dumping Comcast cable and telephone and switching to sat. Not sure about direct or dish not a sports fan at all. Love HD though ..

Anything to consider? Any good promo's for either provider?

Any help to make a final descison would be appreciated

Thx

Nothing personal, but seeing your in the D* forum, it'll probably be slanted towards D*.

That said, if Sports isn't your thing, I would look at which provider gives you more of the channels you need in your package.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Jimbo is probably right, Dish might be better for you than Directv.

Hi guys planning on dumping Comcast cable and telephone and switching to sat. Not sure about direct or dish not a sports fan at all. Love HD though ..

Anything to consider? Any good promo's for either provider?

Any help to make a final descison would be appreciated

Thx

What kind of channels do you watch and how?

How many TVs are you want to setup?

I'm going to say Directv seems more geared towards the sports fan. Dish seems more towards the family side. Also they "seem" to have more HD. I'll choose my words carefully. It's really all what you want. They both have pros and cons. I'll side with others, go with what tends to your needs. You'll have them for 2 years so make it worth YOUR while.

Thanks guys for your help.

I would be looking for all 3 HD rec's and 1 with a DVR.

who gives the best deal? are there 3rd party internet dealers or should i just goto the Direct web site?

Thanks

I would lean toward DirecTV for the SAT.

I would look at a local company for your internet, maybe a naked DSL between 6 - 12 Mpbs

I would look at ViaTalk to replace your VoIP phone.

Thanks guys for your help.

I would be looking for all 3 HD rec's and 1 with a DVR.

who gives the best deal? are there 3rd party internet dealers or should i just goto the Direct web site?

Thanks

I would look online at the website, also call them as well as seeing if there is anyone locally that deal with them, all may have slightly different offers.

Remember to get you Refer a Friend and AAA rebates if applicable.
Make sure to call the correct phone numbers if using those rebates, each are listed on the D* website.

That depends, D* has upped thier Premium channels quite a bit in the last year.

Maybe Jimbo. If he is looking at the basic channels, Dish might be best. Directv does have lots of the movie channels, though.

I made the opposite move due to Line Of Sight issues...

I can't want to come back to D* -- Comcast just pulled a very "cable" move... ;)

...At first everything was good, and I *love* the Tivo Premiere DVR I bought. It doesn't have their On Demand, but has Hulu Plus, Netflix etc...

HOWEVER, the other day I noticed HBO Comedy HD, HBO Zone HD, HBO East HD, Showcase HD, Showtime Too HD gone. I called Comcast and they wanted to reauth my CableCard... they did it twice. Nothing.

I tried calling again, and this time the rep said "Oh, HBO and Showtime dropped their HD feeds of their secondary channels. They forced us to remove it"... I told them DirecTV just recently activated them, and they told me they didn't know how this was possible, and I was probably watching them in SD on D*.

Well, I did a little searching, and Comcast is in the process of dropping ALL HD feeds of secondary premium channels across the US so they can add more basic. I now only have HD on Showtime West, as well as HBO/Plus/Signature West (and by all accounts the other 2 will be going soon). Their excuse is that everything is available On Demand in HD. Well, with a Tivo, I don't have that--and since they don't have HBO/Showtime Go apps available, I don't get that either. Furthermore, I know that everything HBO and Showtime have are NOT On Demand.

Not only that, they just increased the premium rate to 19.99 per month from 17.99. If I wasn't getting 2 for 1 on HBO/Showtime, I would be LIVID (I already am, actually). They also charge $19.99 for 2 channels of The Movie Channel (it isn't bundled with Showtime)--I imagine there is a HUGE amount of uptake for that lol

Admittedly I do have more basic HD than what D* carries (pretty much all the ones that we bitch about missing here, plus a few I didn't even realize were in HD), but the "new" channels I just got? HSN and Halogen HD.

I've written a nastygram to the local franchise manager, but I can't imagine they will do anything about it.

--Nat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts