Moving from Hopper to Tivo

Select to record a show on the channel you prefer. Once it is set up for recording, click on the show and choose get season pass. It should then choose the correct channel.

Another thing to try is to remove the 720p channels from your preferred channel list. I believe the TIVO will choose from the preferred list first, but I am not positive on that one.

Yes, if the stations you don't prefer are not in your channel list, then the season passes will not record on those channels.

Select to record a show on the channel you prefer. Once it is set up for recording, click on the show and choose get season pass. It should then choose the correct channel.

Another thing to try is to remove the 720p channels from your preferred channel list. I believe the TIVO will choose from the preferred list first, but I am not positive on that one.

Thanks! This is a couple more steps than I would have liked but it did the trick. It would be nice if Tivo had an option to just record all new episodes on the channel I selected the show from on the guide like the Hopper does. The season pass where it searches all channels for your show is nice for re-runs that air on multiple channels or shows that switch channels during their run but it's overkill in my situation.

For season passes if you have more than one station with the program you can select which station to record from. In Minneapolis they have 9-1 & 9-9. Both are Fox (one comes from RF29, one from RF9) and I know when I have set season passes I can select which one (I use 9-1 as the RF station is UHF and my antenna set up there is UHF only at that location)

I saw that option but for some reason it wasn't working on the shows I was having issues with. When I would go to the season pass options "all channels" was the only choice for the shows in question. This might have had something to do with me setting up the timers about 10 minutes after setting up the Tivo for the first time. Maybe it wasn't settled into it's normal running mode yet. When I looked at the to do list I could see that it was picking the channels with weaker picture quality and stereo sound.

I blame the stations more than Tivo though. In my opinion there is no reason to have WBSF on WEYI's subchannel and WEYI on WBSF's subchannel. They should each just broadcast from their own tower. The signal strength seems about the same on both of them. Having two 720p channels makes the picture noticeably weaker than the other markets I can get these networks from.

Not only that but these stations are a joke in general. I wrote an email to the engineer about 4 or 5 years ago complaining about them suddenly switching to DD 2.0 instead of DD 5.1. He told me that their Dolby encoder was damaged in a lightning storm. He also told me that because of the Pro Logic on my receiver there was no difference between DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 so they weren't going to replace the encoder. I followed up about a year ago to tell them I was watching the Detroit NBC and CW over the Flint options even though Flint is closer because of this. He told me their viewers preferred the DD 2.0 sound so they still have no plans to replace the encoder.

Yes, if the stations you don't prefer are not in your channel list, then the season passes will not record on those channels.

I suppose I should just do this since I clearly have no love for the stations I would be removing. I like having all my available options in the guide but I'm never going to watch these ones unless my other NBC or my two other CW choices suddenly have poor signal for some reason.

I saw that option but for some reason it wasn't working on the shows I was having issues with. When I would go to the season pass options "all channels" was the only choice for the shows in question. This might have had something to do with me setting up the timers about 10 minutes after setting up the Tivo for the first time. Maybe it wasn't settled into it's normal running mode yet. When I looked at the to do list I could see that it was picking the channels with weaker picture quality and stereo sound.
remove the Season Pass and try again. I know that was a feature that was put in recently (a couple months ago) so maybe it didnt update properly. But I know it gives you that option

I blame the stations more than Tivo though. In my opinion there is no reason to have WBSF on WEYI's subchannel and WEYI on WBSF's subchannel. They should each just broadcast from their own tower. The signal strength seems about the same on both of them. Having two 720p channels makes the picture noticeably weaker than the other markets I can get these networks from.

Looks like NBC has better overall coverage but CW has better coverage in the northern part of the market so that is probably why. Also you have to take into consideration indoor antennas too
NBC
http://rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=971619&map=Y

CW
http://rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1318844&map=Y

I've said it to another member in that area (radio) that it would be cool to have access to 3 different markets (in his case its Grand Rapids, Flint and Lansing)

remove the Season Pass and try again. I know that was a feature that was put in recently (a couple months ago) so maybe it didnt update properly. But I know it gives you that option

Looks like NBC has better overall coverage but CW has better coverage in the northern part of the market so that is probably why. Also you have to take into consideration indoor antennas too
NBC
http://rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=971619&map=Y

CW
http://rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1318844&map=Y

I've said it to another member in that area (radio) that it would be cool to have access to 3 different markets (in his case its Grand Rapids, Flint and Lansing)

Those maps are interesting. I'm far enough south that I appear to be in the Med. Outdoor range for WBSF (CW) but it has always been a pretty strong signal for me. I do have a rooftop 8 bay antenna so I guess that makes sense. The area I'm in south of Flint is heavily populated with suburbs so I can see why WBSF would want to extend their range in that direction. I just wish they would put a little more effort into quality, especially by offering 5.1 sound.

The networks I am able to get from 3 markets come from Flint, Detroit, and Lansing. I get Flint and Detroit for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS, and My Network. I also get Lansing for ABC, CBS, PBS, CW, and I think My Network. All of the Lansing stations except for PBS are pretty weak in my area so I rarely try to watch them.

I also get an independent channel out of Detroit called WADL that reruns a lot of the same stuff as TBS. Ion out of Ann Arbor has some good subchannels too.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Here's my problem. The Roamio insists on choosing this NBC and CW with weak picture quality and stereo sound when I make season passes. I have 2 other CWs and 1 more NBC with much better 1080i picture and proper 5.1 sound. Even when I select a show on the guide from the CW station I want the to do list still shows the wrong channel. I have confirmed that I'm getting good signal on the stations I want to use. It looks like I can change the preferred channel from the season pass manager but when I try to do it on these specific timers it won't let me change them from all channels. I've noticed that I am able to pick between all 3 of my CBS options on timers for that network. It doesn't make sense to me.

When you pick make a season pass, right arrow over to modify recording options. Then you can go and pick like new episodes only, how many to keep, etc. On this screen you will be able to change the channel by scrolling down to the channel and using the right and left arrows to pick among your options.

If it is doing "all channels" it means it is not in the 14 day guide yet. When the show finally gets in the guide, you can modify the season pass and select which channel you want it to record from.

After a few weeks with the Roamio I'm mostly loving it. The signal strength is a big upgrade over my old setup and it has also become my main streaming device.

I have a couple minor gripes though. First, I wish there was a button to go directly to my list of recorded shows like the DVR button on the Dish remote. It's not a huge deal but I have to go into the menu and then my shows to see my recordings.

Second, my audio cuts out for a second every time I transition from full screen TV to the guide or menu. Again, this isn't a huge deal but it is a little annoying.

This last one isn't really a gripe since it doesn't negatively affect me, it's more of an observation. I think the Tivo suggestions is a cool idea. I'm not sure why it feels the need to be recording something at all times even when there is nothing on I would ever watch. I'm 27 and have never watched any of the classic shows or movies that are on all the retro sub-channels. I get 49 OTA channels so there is lots to choose from. The Tivo records these movies from the 50s to 80s all day when I'm at work. I've only recorded new episodes of current broadcast TV shows so I'm not sure how their algorithms are deciding this is something I would like.

I'm sure this feature was built with cable customers in mind and it doesn't know what to do for OTA people. It wants to be recording Tivo suggestion stuff at all times and there just isn't much on OTA that I would watch during the day. That being said, it has recorded a couple episodes of newer stuff I watched that I didn't previously have a season pass for. Again, this doesn't actually have a negative affect outside of it being hard to find stuff I want to watch in the Tivo suggestions folder because there is so much irrelevant stuff there.

I have a couple minor gripes though. First, I wish there was a button to go directly to my list of recorded shows like the DVR button on the Dish remote. It's not a huge deal but I have to go into the menu and then my shows to see my recordings.
hit the tivo button twice

Second, my audio cuts out for a second every time I transition from full screen TV to the guide or menu. Again, this isn't a huge deal but it is a little annoying.
it does that for me if I am in timeshift on a channel. Live it doesnt do that

This last one isn't really a gripe since it doesn't negatively affect me, it's more of an observation. I think the Tivo suggestions is a cool idea. I'm not sure why it feels the need to be recording something at all times even when there is nothing on I would ever watch. I'm 27 and have never watched any of the classic shows or movies that are on all the retro sub-channels. I get 49 OTA channels so there is lots to choose from. The Tivo records these movies from the 50s to 80s all day when I'm at work. I've only recorded new episodes of current broadcast TV shows so I'm not sure how their algorithms are deciding this is something I would like.
you can shut that off. I did the 1st day I got my Roamio as I recorded the news to see how well it handled it and the next day I had like 10 newscasts recorded.

hit the tivo button twice

it does that for me if I am in timeshift on a channel. Live it doesnt do that

you can shut that off. I did the 1st day I got my Roamio as I recorded the news to see how well it handled it and the next day I had like 10 newscasts recorded.

Thanks for the tip on the hitting the Tivo button twice. As for the suggestions, I'm gonna leave it on for a while. There really are no negatives to having it on. It always leaves your live tuner open and it won't try to take up your tuners meant for recordings you scheduled. The Tivo Suggestions don't even count towards your percentage of space available because anything you record automatically writes over the suggestions if you run out of room.

It would be a cool feature if it was actually tailored to what I watch like they claim it is. Maybe it will get better over time as I watch more stuff but so far it just seems to be completely random. There just always seems to be at least one suggestion recording and it's almost always a retro movie or show from a sub-channel even though I have never watched any of those. It would be nice if it only recorded stuff that fit my tastes instead of feeling the need to record something at all times even if there is nothing relevant to what I watch.

The only disadvantage of the suggestions is that it uses up space on your drive. I know it does not change "percentage used" but it empties out the trash. I do not do it very often, but occasionally I will get something back out of the trash.

My TiVo Mini arrived last night and I got it setup pretty easily over ethernet. Everything was running smoothly in my limited testing.

The project for today was to remove the splitter since I no longer needed a direct antenna line to the bedroom TV. After that was done I rescanned for channels on my Roamio. This scan without the splitter brought me from 49 channels to 55! I'm sure some of those new channels are going to be shaky reception wise but this might have made my old fringe channels solid.

My TiVo Mini arrived last night and I got it setup pretty easily over ethernet. Everything was running smoothly in my limited testing.

The project for today was to remove the splitter since I no longer needed a direct antenna line to the bedroom TV. After that was done I rescanned for channels on my Roamio. This scan without the splitter brought me from 49 channels to 55! I'm sure some of those new channels are going to be shaky reception wise but this might have made my old fringe channels solid.

Wow 55 channels! Pretty much a complete set...

If it is doing "all channels" it means it is not in the 14 day guide yet. When the show finally gets in the guide, you can modify the season pass and select which channel you want it to record from.

Interesting that last night I went to set a timer for the new ABC show "Fresh off the Boat" and when I tried a SP for Episode 1 the only option it gave me was "ALL CHANNELS" (the show starts Wednesday)
I didnt set it but when I went to episode 2 and went to set the SP it gave me my local ABC (WDIO 10-1) or All channels

Hi - just found this thread - interesting to know that I'm in good company. I had Dish Network for about 15 years, and really loved the Dish DVR (VIP 722). There are only two of us in the house, but we like to have the TV on in different room, so I was feeding the Dish box signal to all the TVs via coax for two old sets, and Component cables for three HD sets - with an HDMI connection in the living room. With the IR remote in the living room, and RF remotes elsewhere in the house, the hardware setup worked great - but at some point I realized that most of what we were watching was on local stations, and we only watched a couple of cable channels with any regularity - and we were just kind of "defaulting" to those channels - not really in love with most of the programs. We have good OTA reception (suburban Pittsburgh) of all the major networks - and a nice selection of independent and sub-channels, so I started toying with the idea of ditching cable and going with OTA - and saving $70+ per month. My biggest hesitation was losing the Dish DVR and a hardware setup that worked well for our needs. I considered ALL the options (HomeWorx, Tablo, Channel Master DVR+, etc.) and I ended up deciding that the Tivo Premier (which has both HDMI & Component output) would come the closest to duplicating the hardware setup and overall viewing experience I had with Dish. So, I bought a used Premiere with Lifetime ($300), upgraded it to a 3TB harddrive ($120), and added the RF Slide Pro Remote (with RF dongle), and another RF Roamio remote ($95). It's a pretty big upfront investment, but I should have it paid off in 8-months or less, and after that, it's money in my pocket.
I think the Tivo remote layout is not quite as intuitive as the Dish remote - but I'm getting used to it. I haven't made much use yet of the online offerings, but it's nice to know that the options are there. (I might spend the money for a Netflix subscription - still deciding.) The thing that has surprised me the most are the Tivo suggestions. I may reach a point where I decide to turn this off - I know most people do. But right now, it's managing to find and record a lot of OTA programming that I didn't even know existed. Sure it gets a lot of stuff I'm not interested in, but is has also found some real gems that have been fun to watch - including a few that have been added to my Season Pass list. With Dish, the cable channels were my default "go to" when I was bored and nothing else was on. At least for now, the Tivo suggestion list is filling that void.

Reactions: king3pj
Hi Lifterguy,

One other thing you can do is pick up a TIVO mini and spend another $90 on lifetime for it. The mini will be able to access all the programs on your premiere. Very similar to a Hopper/Joey setup. I am doing this with a Roamio and Premiere. When I got the Roamio, they offered me lifetime on the Premiere for $100 which was a no brainer. The nice part is that I now have 6 OTA tuners available which is way more than I need and both machines have access to both hard drives.

I keep both a Netflix and Amazon Prime sub. That gives me more to watch than I have time for. Yeah, I killed the suggestions after a few weeks. It kept filling the My Shows to the point where it was difficult to find what I wanted to see.

Hi Lifterguy,

One other thing you can do is pick up a TIVO mini and spend another $90 on lifetime for it. The mini will be able to access all the programs on your premiere. Very similar to a Hopper/Joey setup. I am doing this with a Roamio and Premiere. When I got the Roamio, they offered me lifetime on the Premiere for $100 which was a no brainer. The nice part is that I now have 6 OTA tuners available which is way more than I need and both machines have access to both hard drives.

You don't even need to pay for the Mini's service fees right now. I bought a Mini about two weeks ago from Amazon for $130. Tivo is currently running a promotion where any Tivo Mini activated between now and May 5th gets free lifetime service. That is the only reason I bought a Mini. I wasn't willing to pay Tivo fees on the second box so I originally planned to pass on the Mini.

I keep both a Netflix and Amazon Prime sub. That gives me more to watch than I have time for. Yeah, I killed the suggestions after a few weeks. It kept filling the My Shows to the point where it was difficult to find what I wanted to see.

Maybe it's just a Roamio feature but my Tivo puts all my Suggestions into a Tivo Suggestions folder. This keeps those recordings separated from all the recordings I scheduled myself. Because all of the suggestions are in a folder it has never made it harder for me to find my recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)