Moving... need help chosing new toys!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Well I've decided to move and Im building. My new house will have a media room in it and I want to know what you guys think i should put in it. Right now I have a 62 inch toshiba Dlp, HD DVD player, and a bose acoustimass speakers. I was going to put the bose speakers upstairs in the family room and get a new reciever and speakers but i dont know what to get. price doesnt matter becuase Im going all out for this :). Any Ideas?

You are doing what I just did. I had 17 year old - oh, I can't say it! The SHAME of it all!

I moved up to Klipsch. OMG! The difference is amazing! All my music sounds new. And even TV is better, clearer. The sub is a major addition, too. I found 12" subs to be noticeably better than 10".

Suggestions: Don't buy from an unauthorized dealer, which will cut out most if not all online sellers. Rip offs seem to be common. Klipsch has an online system where you can find authorized dealers, and you can call and talk to a person to inquire, also. I did. "Mr. Too Good To Be True" was just that- too good to be true.

I found the "in-wall" and "in-ceiling" speakers to be inferior. Most were horrible. If you want flat, go with Magnepans.

I bought from a local dealer and I don't regret the cost. I can move up to more expensive speakers within a year and get full credit for my old (current) purchase toward the new. Visit local dealers with YOUR music/movies and listen. If you can't get to hear them before purchase- don't buy them. Some speakers look so strange you wonder if they were designed for music or looks- and in what decor would they fit? Remember WAF. Get her in on the decision, with her listening to HER stuff.

I assume you are going 5.1 or 7.1. Seriously consider Denon receivers. A new one comes out in July. You might want HDMI switching capability.

Read the Klipsch interview at the top of this forum- the only sticky.

How "all out" does that really mean on the budget? To you want an entry level pro-theater, a top of the line home theater, or a great system the does not break a certain $$$ level?

What are your room dimensions and construction type; will it be engineered truly theater specific?

lets put it this way, I dont want to spend more than 3 grand

Last edited:
For speakers AND receiver?

I spent about that for 7.1, including a nice 12" sub. I might upgrade the receiver in another year or so.

lets put it this way, I don't want to spend more than 3 grand

Ahh, same as Navychop, I spent nearly that for my A/V head unit alone. You can get it done but that is a real tight budget for a ground up theater. With the exception of a display, that you already have, if I read correctly?

Yea I do already have one. So in the price range of $3000 what would be the best i can get?

For BOTH the 7.1 speaker setup and a quality A/V receiver?

What are your room's attributes? Power needs?

What are some of your needs?

Full audio & video switching, component, HDMI, ethernet, RS232 control, etc.

Just the best overall system and speakers you can get for 3000, doesnt matter if its 7.1 or not.

The room is in the basement and the demensions are 26 long X 16 wide

I just want something that sounds amazing when listening to HDDVDs satellite and cds/ipod. HDMI switching would be nice but it is not necessary.

Next let me ask if you can take your favorite DVD video and CD audio (or DTS audio) to a local store and test some speaker setups that sound good to YOU with very well known & loved examples? Since $3000 is your idea, try not to exceed $1800 for quality 6.1 or 7.1 arrangement. There are some top notch in-wall/in-ceiling for L/R surrounds and L/R rear that sound just as good as traditional speakers that cost much more; so keep that in mind. Let us know if in-walls are NOT an option. This will leave about $900 for the A/V unit and enough for quality cables and speaker wire and misc. I am thinking you will be going lower than my $900 guess for the A/V unit and can either save $$$ or expand the speaker selection if needed.

Yea ill try to go to some local places tomorrow and listen to different setups, Ill let you know what sounds good to me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)