“Moving” new strategy or tips?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jerseyfla

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Georgia
So I have been a customer of Dish from 2005 to 2007 and Directv ever since. The entire time I’ve been a subscriber I had successfully “moved” to nearby areas near whatever Air Force Base I have been stationed at with no issues. Well on my last real move this past January, I had lived in Dayton, OH for the past 5.5 years using a Guernsey County, Ohio address to get Columbus stations and every Ohio and Pittsburgh sports team. I figured I would make things kosher for the movers package in December and “move” back to my real address before I moved to Georgia. This is where I encountered the new AT&T system and an Indian CSR saying she couldn’t do it in her system. I went with my tried and true “I already have an existing Dish at this house and everything works I just need the service address changed”. It took an hour before she had a supervisor finally flip the switch.

I hadn’t read this forum in awhile and after we moved to Warner Robins, Georgia and had my equipment installed and now getting Macon TV stations (all of just 6 stations), I found out about AT&T making it hard for “movers” now. I really want to “move” to Atlanta area, possibly Chatooga County where Chattanooga stations are significantly viewed.

Anyone have a good strategy to still do this?

It's becoming more and more difficult to the point of AT&T requiring a tech visit to okay a "move". I don't have any good advice for you, sorry.

So I have been a customer of Dish from 2005 to 2007 and Directv ever since. The entire time I’ve been a subscriber I had successfully “moved” to nearby areas near whatever Air Force Base I have been stationed at with no issues. Well on my last real move this past January, I had lived in Dayton, OH for the past 5.5 years using a Guernsey County, Ohio address to get Columbus stations and every Ohio and Pittsburgh sports team. I figured I would make things kosher for the movers package in December and “move” back to my real address before I moved to Georgia. This is where I encountered the new AT&T system and an Indian CSR saying she couldn’t do it in her system. I went with my tried and true “I already have an existing Dish at this house and everything works I just need the service address changed”. It took an hour before she had a supervisor finally flip the switch.

I hadn’t read this forum in awhile and after we moved to Warner Robins, Georgia and had my equipment installed and now getting Macon TV stations (all of just 6 stations), I found out about AT&T making it hard for “movers” now. I really want to “move” to Atlanta area, possibly Chatooga County where Chattanooga stations are significantly viewed.

Anyone have a good strategy to still do this?
just curious if your using a movers deal. why not just get a new install with new cables new dish.. there gonna stick it to you with a year contract i think it is

just curious if your using a movers deal. why not just get a new install with new cables new dish.. there gonna stick it to you with a year contract i think it is
I already used a movers deal when I moved to Georgia. I just want to change the service address to a bigger market like I have in the 3 other places that I’ve lived in.

Reactions: krynn
It’s becoming a bigger and bigger hassle to do anything with Directv lately from swapping equipment to changing addressees.

If the move is free, just schedule it to a non existent address and when the tech calls looking for your house, tell him you buddy works for Directv and moved it already.

See if they will update the address and close out the work order for you.

It’s becoming a bigger and bigger hassle to do anything with Directv lately from swapping equipment to changing addressees.

If the move is free, just schedule it to a non existent address and when the tech calls looking for your house, tell him you buddy works for Directv and moved it already.

See if they will update the address and close out the work order for you.
don't think one could pull that out here there strictly by the book :oldmad

Warning: Long answer, info relevant to this thread in later paragraphs

In another thread I mentioned the problems I have had with moving our 'service address'. We are fulltime RVers and for 11 years have had Distant Network Services for quasi locals from the east coast and/or west coast. To be honest we didn't change our 'service address' that much since most of the time we could use OTA to get signals and we had phones for local weather. So maybe once or twice a year at most we changed if we stayed for long periods like snow birds in Arizona for the winter. Most of the time it worked out great, couple keyboard clicks and we had new locals. Sometime customer service roulette would land on a bad rep who didn't know what they were doing then we would fake a bad connection, hangup and spin the wheel again.

That all changed after the merger. We got a wide range of answers like the FCC won't allow them. You will have to get a new contract, etc. We didn't want a new contract because we were afraid we would lose our waiver and no longer get the distant networks so we flat gave up. Then about a month ago we got the email that DNS networks were going away June 1st. The service address we had at the time of the email was Missouri and we are now in Texas. So I called on Monday and spent 2 hours on the phone and the reps spent time behind the scenes and called me back. They could change the service address but it wouldn't proceed any further. The final answer on Monday was that a new Genie would fix the problem, over my objections, and would be sent to our current location. On Tuesday I got an email that the Genie was on its way, to Missouri. Called again and had them confirm service address to Texas and while the gal was verifying info the service address changed back to Missouri. That is what must have happened when shipping Genie. Anyway I asked for a supervisor and she researched and said my zip code was across 2 counties and sometimes that causes problems. She tried a couple tricks but it didn't work and she connected me to the movers department. Got to give credit to this guy he really kept after it. He tried his tricks with no success. Contacted a next level support group, what he called the backoffice and they couldn't do it either. They suggested another backoffice group and the guy worked with them but they couldn't do it either. The only option left was to escalate the issue which moves it to another level up in the customer support hierarchy. Escalation can take up to 48 hours and as long as 72. Wednesday morning still no local channels but went shopping and dining and decided to check my DirecTV account and lo and behold the service address was updated. Got home and turned on the TV and had local channels.

Moral of this long story is that for whatever reason when they combined accounts from AT&T and DirecTV is has made moving or changing service addresses a royal pain in the ***.

Warning: Long answer, info relevant to this thread in later paragraphs

In another thread I mentioned the problems I have had with moving our 'service address'. We are fulltime RVers and for 11 years have had Distant Network Services for quasi locals from the east coast and/or west coast. To be honest we didn't change our 'service address' that much since most of the time we could use OTA to get signals and we had phones for local weather. So maybe once or twice a year at most we changed if we stayed for long periods like snow birds in Arizona for the winter. Most of the time it worked out great, couple keyboard clicks and we had new locals. Sometime customer service roulette would land on a bad rep who didn't know what they were doing then we would fake a bad connection, hangup and spin the wheel again.

That all changed after the merger. We got a wide range of answers like the FCC won't allow them. You will have to get a new contract, etc. We didn't want a new contract because we were afraid we would lose our waiver and no longer get the distant networks so we flat gave up. Then about a month ago we got the email that DNS networks were going away June 1st. The service address we had at the time of the email was Missouri and we are now in Texas. So I called on Monday and spent 2 hours on the phone and the reps spent time behind the scenes and called me back. They could change the service address but it wouldn't proceed any further. The final answer on Monday was that a new Genie would fix the problem, over my objections, and would be sent to our current location. On Tuesday I got an email that the Genie was on its way, to Missouri. Called again and had them confirm service address to Texas and while the gal was verifying info the service address changed back to Missouri. That is what must have happened when shipping Genie. Anyway I asked for a supervisor and she researched and said my zip code was across 2 counties and sometimes that causes problems. She tried a couple tricks but it didn't work and she connected me to the movers department. Got to give credit to this guy he really kept after it. He tried his tricks with no success. Contacted a next level support group, what he called the backoffice and they couldn't do it either. They suggested another backoffice group and the guy worked with them but they couldn't do it either. The only option left was to escalate the issue which moves it to another level up in the customer support hierarchy. Escalation can take up to 48 hours and as long as 72. Wednesday morning still no local channels but went shopping and dining and decided to check my DirecTV account and lo and behold the service address was updated. Got home and turned on the TV and had local channels.

Moral of this long story is that for whatever reason when they combined accounts from AT&T and DirecTV is has made moving or changing service addresses a royal pain in the ***.
i would have a stroke if ATT did anything to the consumers advantage :D

Reactions: dhpeeple1

That's not really surprising, AT&T had an existing billing/support system designed for Uverse TV & Internet and they probably tried to shoehorn Directv into it without making much in the way of allowances for how that business differs. Thus why stuff like changing service address and moving don't work as smoothly as they used to, because you have to stop service at one address and initiate it at the new address for fixed line services like Uverse. And probably why "owning" equipment isn't supported by the new system, because Uverse similar to other cable/telco TV services, didn't allow it.

There is a post on the other forum about using chat to change the service address and using Covid as the reason to not wanting a tech to come out. Said it took 4 hours, but got it done. I could see if you say you are high risk and your doctor says no visitors, it would be hard for them to push it. I might try that once I lose them next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)