moving question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

willsweeps99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
United States
If I move and keep Directv, will I keep my Genie and the shows and all that is set up on it? Or do they give you a new Genie along with satellite dish?

You take your receivers/dvrs/Genies, remotes, and they supply a new dish and other necessary equipment.

If I move and keep Directv, will I keep my Genie and the shows and all that is set up on it? Or do they give you a new Genie along with satellite dish?

yes you keep the receiver. You may have to change some timers if your locals change but on the good side anything recorded on the "old" locals will stay on the hard drive until you delete it.

All will be the same, as Chip points out,

I would add.......Nothing will be the same if you do not have a line of sight (LOS) to the DirecTV sats.

AND

Moving day is not the day to have the tech come rig you equipment. IF you can load all TVs, DirecTV eq and any other devices...modems, misc players ,,,,LAST....so they will come off the truck together and first you will be ahead of the game. Have the movers put all the stuff where yoiu want the TVs.

While unloading and placing your stuff (and watching kids) the tech will need access to the same places you and the movers are using. Do the connection before or after your move in day.

Joe........former tech!

Or if you are smart Joe. You carry the equipment in your vehicle, not let the Techs touch it. Same with other Electronics & computers. Something always gets damaged during the trip if cross country. In town if you can afford. Hire a crew like Boston Richie to move you. Vs. using a U-Haul or Budget.

Or if you are smart Joe. You carry the equipment in your vehicle, not let the Techs touch it. Same with other Electronics & computers. Something always gets damaged during the trip if cross country. In town if you can afford. Hire a crew like Boston Richie to move you. Vs. using a U-Haul or Budget.

I second and third this.

If you do the U-Haul ( your doing the move) you would hope that you would put all your electronics in the back of the car/truck and wrap with blankets or something like that.

Yup,
That would be best! There is another downside to avoid. As that equipment that worked perfectly is moved it sometimes gets dinged. At the new address the installer is introduced to this pile of stuff with strange markings on all the fittings and ports. There are sometimes issues. So, as you said....keep all the stuff separate from the movers and techs. In a best case there is already a functional dish and the kids can have a room with a working TV to play in while the move in takes place.

Your plan also avoids...."The truck with some of the TVs and at least two of the receivers is still on the road....you will just have to wait for it or come back." Right!

Good idea, let the tech help with the activation if needed.

Joe

If you do the U-Haul ( your doing the move) you would hope that you would put all your electronics in the back of the car/truck and wrap with blankets or something like that.
Never happens like that in real life. The mass majority, just toss their stuff in the truck, and never think about protecting it.

Never happens like that in real life. The mass majority, just toss their stuff in the truck, and never think about protecting it.

Those that are not A/V aficionados do that ... the person that has a high regard for thier entertainment systems wouldn't.

things get broken easily... I have to do service swaps a lot on movers, makes sure to have power cords to boxes and tv's also! its way easier to have the tech set it all up at once vs having parts missing....

Those that are not A/V aficionados do that ... the person that has a high regard for thier entertainment systems wouldn't.
I guess I'm getting use to digging through a trash bag filled with receivers, cords etc... usually find an extra blue ray player, gaming system in there also... ;)

Those that are not A/V aficionados do that ... the person that has a high regard for their entertainment systems wouldn't.
I have seen aficionados, that state they know a thing or two about audio/video, treat their gear like it is replaceable and have a setup that they should be ashamed of. Then there are those like myself, that take care of their gear, and treat it like it is non-replaceable. By handling it properly, keeping it cool, etc..

I have helped people move a lot in my life time. Every time I tell them that their tv, cable box, etc. need to be installed before anything else goes into the Living room. Especially CATV, Satellite, U-Verse. They act like it can be done later. Yes you can have the installer come later, then before the day of the move. But you definitely do not want the installer in the mix, while trying to move your home from A to B. Then have them find out the tv got broken during the move. Because the person you were to help with the move, did not listen.

To this day, two years later. We still cannot find in my mom's stuff, that is at my brother's place. Where the remote is for the DVD/VCR combo she had. Due to my nephew & his wife just threw everything in different boxes, without a care in the world. I was never there to supervise, due to I was at work at the time they started to pack stuff up. I ended up with a Migraine half way through the trip. Just realizing how much it had made the move not so smooth. All because I let someone who did not care, start packing my mom's place up.

I guess I'm getting use to digging through a trash bag filled with receivers, cords etc... usually find an extra blue ray player, gaming system in there also... ;)
Or finding out that the remotes for the gear are in one of the boxes that are for the bedroom, or the tv was just tossed into the back of the truck, not inside a protective box.

I always place cables into a 2 gallon freezer bag and label it, what they are for. Place the remotes into a 1 gallon freezer bag and do the same. Then place them into a box that is just for that stuff and label the box with a short inventory list, and where it goes.

I finally got around getting rid of a bunch of old power cords, coax, extra usb cables, etc.. To a guy that does free metal recycling pick ups. He gets the money for what you have him and his wife come and get. You get a clean basement in turn. It is amazing how much e-cycle you collect over the years, from upgrading people's computers, or parting them out for those items like the circuit boards, that have Silver & Gold in them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts