"moving" with Dish and my zip code question

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Hi, guys

I had DirecTV for years and am now switching to Dish. I live about 35 miles southeast of Kansas City, Missouri but "moved" to Joplin a few years ago to get the St. Louis Cardinals baseball games. Now that I'm switching to Dish, I saw on this forum that Dish doesn't carry the Cardinals games for their Joplin customers, even though it's in the Cardinals territory (something about paying extra). Anyways, does anyone know if I would be in the spot beam path for either St. Louis Missouri or Springfield Missouri locals? I know those two cities will receive all the Cardinals games.

Thanks in advance :cool:

Forgive me, I'm still kinda new to the Dish side of things... so if I have the basic install which currently receives Kansas City, Missouri locals, I should also be able to receive St. Louis locals with just a change of physical address? But Springfield locals would require a different configuration?

Thanks

It looks like KC is a "dual arc" system too so depending on what dish they install you may get STL or you may not.
Here is why
If you click on the link I posted above for WA (western Arc) the spotbeam doesnt cover the NW/W part of the state. So if they install a Western Arc dish (that sees 110,119 and 129) you couldnt sub to Springfield and St Louis would probably be too far away. If they install an Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77) which faces SE you WILL be able it get either STL or Springfield (Springfield is CONUS like TNT, USA and ESPN are...St Louis looks lit covers most of the state)

In that case, should I assume they'll be installing an Eastern Arc dish, since the installer will think I'm needing KC, MO locals? The KC,MO locals don't appear to be on the Western Arc link you posted. Does that sound correct?

Always wondered why all the "by the book" dish guru's here don't slam people who want to ''move''? it is illegal to receive local channels outside of your DMA isn't it?

I have no problem with it, but figured the anal types here would.....lol....

In that case, should I assume they'll be installing an Eastern Arc dish, since the installer will think I'm needing KC, MO locals? The KC,MO locals don't appear to be on the Western Arc link you posted. Does that sound correct?

Kansas City is actually on both arcs (just like St Louis). As to which dish they will install, only the tech knows

I really don't know, but are you sure the Cardinals are not shown in the Joplin Mkt. I know we get the Cardinals games on the HD ALTs in the Tulsa DMA from Fox Sports Midwest. Fox Sports Midwest should be the RSN for Joplin.

That spot beam for Joplin on 129 looks too far south for me, though. Let me ask you this... if the installer doesn't have an Eastern Arc setup on his truck and he installs the Western Arc, can I just buy an eastern arc LNB off ebay or somewhere and re-align? Or do I need different switches and receivers and all that also?

Thanks for all your advice :D

It looks like Springfield Missouri is on 110 on the same spotbeam as Joplin, so that means I should be able to get either of those with a Western Arc setup, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)