"Moving"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
looking at the list and mapping them up with Rabbitears info...couple weird ones (bolded)

A3 Abilene 65 PBS (Virtual)-None
Bakersfield PBS 65 (Virtual)-low powered translator of Fresno
A3 Beaumont 65 PBS (Virtual)-None
A3 Dothan 65 PBS (Virtual)-why not give a feed of Alabama PBS...its state run
A3 Elmira, NY 65 PBS (Virtual)-PBS in market
A3 Hattiesburg 65 PBS (Virtual)-why not give feed of Miss PBS...again state run
Lafayette, IN PBS 65 (Virtual)-None but only 1 station in market
Laredo, TX PBS 65 (Virtual)-None
Mankato PBS 65 (Virtual)-None..only 1 station in market
A3 Palm Springs 65 PBS (Virtual)-low powered station of SoCal's PBS in market
A3 Parkersburg 65 PBS (Virtual)-WV PBS translator OTA
Rockford PBS 65 (Virtual)-None
Santa Barbara PBS 65 (Virtual)-low powered station of SoCal's PBS in market
A3 Sherman 65 PBS (Virtual)-None
A3 St. Joseph 65 PBS (Virtual)-None
A3 Tri-Cities 65 PBS (Virtual)-can get PBS from Sneedville (WETP) OTA but station is considered Knoxville market (even though they have their own satellite feed of WETP in Knoxville)
Tyler, TX PBS 65 (Virtual)-None
A3 Utica 65 PBS (Virtual)-low powered translator of Syracuse
A3 Wichita Falls 65 PBS (Virtual)-None
A3 Yuma 65 PBS-None
Zanesville PBS 65 (Virtual)-None but only 1 station in market

The Mississippi and Alabama stations are strange indeed. As you said, why not give them what everyone else already has since it's there?

In NC, some markets have only 1 UNC TV (PBS) transmitter, but several have 2 full power transmitters. In the markets with two transmitters, the channels are arranged differently on the second signal. This puts UNC-EX subchannel on the primary -1 feed, so that satellite will carry two different UNC stations. Directv provides both feeds (UNCTV HD and UNC-EX) to everyone in NC and parts of VA and SC, regardless if you have 1 or 2 full power UNCTV transmitters in your DMA or not. For me they show up on channel 26 on D*'s lineup. 26 is UNCHD and 26-2 is UNCEX. Interestingly, OTA, UNC-EX is xx-3. There is only 1 official UNC transmitter in my market, WUNL 26. It is over 60 miles from me and I don't receive it, or the other station that broadcasts from that tower site. However, the Raleigh market's UNC transmitter, WUNC 4, is about 15 miles from me, though, and my strongest signal OTA. The station that I receive OTA is out of market and the one I do not receive is over 60 miles away and is considered local. DMAs are STUPID. OTA, AM21, and cable have UNC-Kids (xx-2), and TWC has an exclusive UNC-MX subchannel, too. For the northeastern part of NC, including the outerbanks, UNCTV is the only true local for many folks since that is the Norfolk, VA market.

The Mississippi and Alabama stations are strange indeed. As you said, why not give them what everyone else already has since it's there? In NC, some markets have only 1 UNC TV (PBS) transmitter, but several have 2 full power transmitters. In the markets with two transmitters, the channels are arranged differently on the second signal. This puts UNC-EX subchannel on the primary -1 feed, so that satellite will carry two different UNC stations. Directv provides both feeds (UNCTV HD and UNC-EX) to everyone in NC and parts of VA and SC, regardless if you have 1 or 2 full power UNCTV transmitters in your DMA or not. For me they show up on channel 26 on D*'s lineup. 26 is UNCHD and 26-2 is UNCEX. Interestingly, OTA, UNC-EX is xx-3. There is only 1 official UNC transmitter in my market, WUNL 26. It is over 60 miles from me and I don't receive it, or the other station that broadcasts from that tower site. However, the Raleigh market's UNC transmitter, WUNC 4, is about 15 miles from me, though, and my strongest signal OTA. The station that I receive OTA is out of market and the one I do not receive is over 60 miles away and is considered local. DMAs are STUPID. OTA, AM21, and cable have UNC-Kids (xx-2), and TWC has an exclusive UNC-MX subchannel, too. For the northeastern part of NC, including the outerbanks, UNCTV is the only true local for many folks since that is the Norfolk, VA market.

That is weird because I live in another town in Mississippi and get the local PBS on Directv.

OK figured out Hattieburg
There are THREE PBS stations that **could** be got in Hattiesburg

WMAW in Meridian (which is a different market)
WMAH Biloxi (again different market)
A Low powered translator in Columbia which is in the Hattiesburg DMA.....but since low powered its not carried (like the WV translator in Parkersburg, WV)

Doth, AL there is a station in Louisville, AL that EASILY covers Dothan.....but Louisville is in the Columbus, GA DMA

There is no need to NOT provide the channel. They already have it uplinked! Locals are SO over complicated and lacking of logic...

There is no need to NOT provide the channel.
I agree
They already have it uplinked! Locals are SO over complicated and lacking of logic...
so true. I know Dish does it that way. They uplink the "master" of the state run PBS and then just remap it to the channel in your market

So as example lets say they uplink Iowa Public TV which the "master" is channel 11 in Des Moines. If you live in Iowa City/Cedar Rapids its mapped to 12 (which is the station there), Save some bandwidth

Well, I know PBS's do show different content from each other. I like the programming on KLRN out of San Antonio better than the content on KERA out of Dallas. Many "specials" (Yanni, etc) where they are begging for money do not air on the national PBS feed.

Well, I know PBS's do show different content from each other. I like the programming on KLRN out of San Antonio better than the content on KERA out of Dallas. Many "specials" (Yanni, etc) where they are begging for money do not air on the national PBS feed.

correct. I know when I was in Minneapolis the Minneapolis PBS KTCA showed different begathon stuff than Lakeland PBS (KAWE) did
Here in Duluth they show different stuff too but alot of stuff is from KTCA in Minneapolis

Yes, of course. But many are 100% identical. Every PBS in NC is exactly the same - so exactly the same they all ID on every channel and subchannel every hour. I particularly enjoy seeing the Bat Cave translator on a station ID. I guess Batman needs his WordGirl, NC Now, and Downton Abbey. Sadly, the translators only ID every three hours.

Every PBS in many states is the same, so no mirroring it into a market with only a LP is simply stupid - they already have it in the satellite - just give it to people. I bet they could get rid of ch 389 with a little creativity.

I bet they could get rid of ch 389 with a little creativity.

in state run areas (where its the same PBS across the state) yes they could. But again per the rules they (Directv) cannot technically import any PBS station from a neighboring market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.