MRV - Do it yourself?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Why won't DirecTV allow me to install this myself? According to the Customer Retention rep, all that happens is the multiswitch is replaced, my receivers are upgraded, and 1 line goes into my DVRs instead of 2.

I don't trust their installers, as we've NEVER had a good experience and would like to avoid it. I'd also like to avoid the ridiculous 1 time installation charge. I got customer retention to give me $60 credit on Sunday Ticket, but they wouldn't budge on the MRV.

All they should have to do is install the DECA and that's it. Should not be really anything for them to mess up and if they do it's on their end. Instead if folks try to do to much on their own the they don't really have to support it and if something gets messed up its on your end not theirs.

I did my MRV myself, but its not with the DECA and it works perfectly. Its not for everyone but doing your own CAT6 runs arent that hard or costly.

All they should have to do is install the DECA and that's it. Should not be really anything for them to mess up and if they do it's on their end. Instead if folks try to do to much on their own the they don't really have to support it and if something gets messed up its on your end not theirs.

You mean the same installers that saw a berber carpet and were about to drill a 1" hole through it? The same installers that get to your house and want an additional $65 every time they come?

I don't trust those guys at all.

I did my MRV myself, but its not with the DECA and it works perfectly. Its not for everyone but doing your own CAT6 runs arent that hard or costly.

what's faster in terms of performance, DECA or Ethernet CAT6.

Flip a coin. They both work great for MRV. The only real difference is that Directv does not support ethernet. If you have issues down the road you are on your own. You could do the installation yourself if you want to with Deca. There are online sites that sell the Deca modules that you would need if you want to go down that route.

The DECA gear doesnt have to share its media with non-directv traffic or respond to the 87,000,000 multicasts and service advertisement/upnp traffic packets that everything wants to spout these days, so thats a little leg up.

The packet sizes and other tcp/ip parameters on the deca network are also optimized for MRV while plain old ethernet isnt.

I've never used a DECA setup personally, but I understand from people that have tried it both ways that the DECA subnet offers somewhat improved trickplay response time (fast forward, rewind, pause, etc). I dont have a huge problem with that on my ethernet setup. My local and MRV response times suck equally.

You mean the same installers that saw a berber carpet and were about to drill a 1" hole through it? The same installers that get to your house and want an additional $65 every time they come?

I don't trust those guys at all.

Well 1st on new install if they are told you want the internet setup they should already bring the DECA. Don't know about $65 every time its a one time thing once its installed your done. Not everyone will have network drop behind every receiver and patch cables to plug into them which is just another cable you have to have. If you do it your self thats fine but they will not have to support it if you do it yourself and have issues. If they install it that puts the responsibility back on them and the cost if there are issues. DECA is a easy way to get things setup and with that setup it's their equipment so they will support it and take care of any issues. Overall I think the DECA allows better performance and handles the traffic better you have to remember your routers don't have a DECA.. I just think it helps the communication process's allot better and a supported setup to where anything else you may have more issues that could come up is all or not everything working correctly. So with a DECA install your chances of having issues with something not working the way it's suppose to are allot less likely to where with out one your chances are higher. Either way no matter what your house setup is the DECA makes it allot easier to get things working..

Last edited:
My ethernet setup does just fine, no hichups, skips, glitches, etc. It does FF, RW, SKIP, etc. DECA my be theoretically faster, but its not "needed" so "plain old ethernet" works like a champ.. LOL. And as far as support; the DirecTV techs don't know too much about networks as it is; nor are they on-hand as needed locally, so I think my network, my way, in my control, is actually in better hands and a much better setup over all. And bottom line; it does exactly the same thing and the way its supposed too, at a lower cost, which is what matters to me.

My ethernet setup does just fine, no hichups, skips, glitches, etc. It does FF, RW, SKIP, etc. DECA my be theoretically faster, but its not "needed" so "plain old ethernet" works like a champ.. LOL. And as far as support; the DirecTV techs don't know too much about networks as it is; nor are they on-hand as needed locally, so I think my network, my way, in my control, is actually in better hands and a much better setup over all. And bottom line; it does exactly the same thing and the way its supposed too, at a lower cost, which is what matters to me.

Well 1st DECA not that expensive and yes Direct Support not always the best but if your using their equipment it eliminates their excuse not to support something. Far as your network anyone else this is not that difficult there only so many ways you can hook the network up. So overall just go with what works for you.

Surprised

I'm surprised everyone is doing so well with Ethernet. I did the beta about 6 times, and it never worked longer than 2 days, and I was just connected between the receivers so no other network traffic.

Strange, that should be a good set up. I run 5 DVRs to a switch and once in while one of them will drop out, only happened once so far, if I reset the switch everything is good again. I just ordered an HD receiver so I can record everything from a central location. I was planning to get SWM and Deca but with all of the problems with installs I'll just sit tight.

Strange, that should be a good set up. I run 5 DVRs to a switch and once in while one of them will drop out, only happened once so far, if I reset the switch everything is good again. I just ordered an HD receiver so I can record everything from a central location. I was planning to get SWM and Deca but with all of the problems with installs I'll just sit tight.

The DECA and SWIM installs should be real easy and saves from having to have any extra patch cables and network drops. Right now the need for having network drops in rooms is getting to the point that there will be no need. Due to most devices now folks just want to surf the net so forth and you don't need physical drops for that. When most devices have built in WiFi so there no need to have extra network drops all over your house. Nice thing with the DECA is its once device but it can use most of your current coax cable folks will already have installed in their house anyway. So reality there really no need for network drops everywhere when most devices will use WiFi. Save on having extra cables in the walls plus all the extra wall jacks plus patch cables as well.

The DECA and SWIM installs should be real easy and saves from having to have any extra patch cables and network drops. Right now the need for having network drops in rooms is getting to the point that there will be no need. Due to most devices now folks just want to surf the net so forth and you don't need physical drops for that. When most devices have built in WiFi so there no need to have extra network drops all over your house. Nice thing with the DECA is its once device but it can use most of your current coax cable folks will already have installed in their house anyway. So reality there really no need for network drops everywhere when most devices will use WiFi. Save on having extra cables in the walls plus all the extra wall jacks plus patch cables as well.

DECA is a dream, it freed up cables so I could route my OTA to other receivers. It also freed up space in my closet media panel. The SWiM splitter is much smaller than the WB68....plus less cables to use. I still use an ethernet drop for my Blue Ray and my media server, soo there is still a use for them. I used MRV in Beta and CE with my wired network. DECA is better IMHO. Response times for MRV are quicker and trickplay is works much better.

Yeah there are a couple of ways you can do all of this but not that many. Overall this is not that difficult to setup I know it's new to all installers but overall this is a easy setup. Now some people make it more difficult than what it should be. But set it up the way you want is what I always advise. The DECA is nice due to it eliminates allot of extra work and makes all devices function the same plus work together. :)

DECA is a dream, it freed up cables so I could route my OTA to other receivers. It also freed up space in my closet media panel. The SWiM splitter is much smaller than the WB68....plus less cables to use. I still use an ethernet drop for my Blue Ray and my media server, soo there is still a use for them. I used MRV in Beta and CE with my wired network. DECA is better IMHO. Response times for MRV are quicker and trickplay is works much better.

Yeah very good points. Plus now the newer Blu Ray players have built in WiFi so there another cable you do not need once whenever you upgrade your Blu-Ray Player. Now in the future that could be something Direct does is add built in WiFi which would be a plus. But the DECA is nice due to you don't have to mess with more cables ran to all of your hardware and does not matter if you hav cable there are not. It just uses your current coax that should already be there if not should not be more than one more drop at the most. You plug it in and go.. :)

When you have to run the new line to the router for the DECA, what can you do if your router is right next to the receiver? Can you split the one line and take one to the DECA and the other to the receiver? Or will I need two separate lines run to the same location?

I believe they'll split the swm/coax and attach a deca unit to your router and another one to the receiver.

I already needed wired ethernet where I have my tv's for other stuff that wouldnt work as well with wireless, so the wiring wasnt an issue for me.

I do understand that the outboard deca units you need for non h24/hr24 receivers tend to run very hot and that probably means they eat some electricity. Having a shared 8 port 'green' gigabit ethernet switch might mean saving a few bucks on electricity.

When you have to run the new line to the router for the DECA, what can you do if your router is right next to the receiver? Can you split the one line and take one to the DECA and the other to the receiver? Or will I need two separate lines run to the same location?

If your router next to your receiver you can put the DECA there and have them put another coax line there to plug into the DECA then take the small network patch cable plug it into the DECA back into your router. But the extra coax line will be for the DECA one end goes to the DECA from the wall jack then the other end of the new coax cable runs back to the Swim switch which then will pass your internet connection back to all of your other receivers as well. That should work as well. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)