MRV - Wifi and HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Well I tried MRV and the concept seems good enough but HD just doesnt work well through Wifi. Problem is it would be near impossible to run a network cable to my bedroom TV.

Anyone have any suggestions on workarounds? Will a powerplug adapter work?

Any other suggestions?

FYI I used a gaming adapter to connect my HR22 to the my wifi network. Other reciver in my living room is connected directly using a network cable.

I have a H21 that works just fine via the DirecTV poweline adapters, they sync at >80Mbps. But if I moved the adapter to other rooms, that are on the different 'hot' side of the electrical service it's a no go, drops down to under 12Mbps. Some folks have gone for the 200Mbps powerline adapters and gotten around that problem. If you decide to go that way I'd recommend getting them from someplace where you can return them if they don't work.

I had a similar problem with both wireless and powerline connections (powerline was better but not good enough for HD). I ended up buying a pair of MoCA adapters and running them over the OTA line running to my bedroom. They work quite well for MRV, as well as the other network features (On Demand, Media Share and Directv2PC). You can't use these on the satellite feed, as the frequencies are in the same range. Directv is working on a similar system (DECA) which will work on satellite cables and should be available sometime next year.

My wireless network can handle HD no problem....as long as MRV is the only real traffic on my network.

The first time the wife fires up Firefox on her laptop, or turns on the Wii, the skips and jumps begin...

My receivers are at opposite ends of the house so a cable run is out of the question...So now I just deal with it as best I can. Maybe when it becomes a national feature they will deal with lag a bit better.

does the MRV CE Option now support TWO HR DVR boxes? Or does one box still have to be a STB only?

This is one feature I love about my TiVo HD boxs with cable...

... but I hate dealing with cablecards and tuning adapters - they make the TiVo unreliable :-(

The HR2X's can also act as a client now besides being a server.

that is awsome... only real issue its only for CE use correct? Any soft dates when it goes national?

Ohh the powerline adapters do work - I have a few in my home from Monster - the 200 model? I have two TiVo HD's and a Mac Mini all plugged into them (3) and they are FAST. I can transfer a 1hr HD show on the tivo to the other tivo in about 45m at times...

John

I am using a simultaneous dual band wireless router and bridge with MRV between my two receivers being the only thing setup on the 5ghz band. It has been working well with only occassional glitches in the video.

It really isn't that hard or expensive to run CAT6; in your own home or a rental. I have done it numerous times. Give hardwire a bit more thought. Properly setup and quality wireless gear does HD thru MRV just fine. As others have said when its the only traffic.

that is awsome... only real issue its only for CE use correct? Any soft dates when it goes national?

Ohh the powerline adapters do work - I have a few in my home from Monster - the 200 model? I have two TiVo HD's and a Mac Mini all plugged into them (3) and they are FAST. I can transfer a 1hr HD show on the tivo to the other tivo in about 45m at times...

John

MRV not yet ready for release but expected initially late 2009 or early 2010.

BTW, the Directv MRV via HD DVRs does not use the transfer/copy scheme used by TIVO so it will come down to how fast and reliable you can stream HD content. Most have no problem with SD but HD is not yet flawless on the hard-wired ETHERNET connections.

To the OP, sorry for the high-jacking of your thread. As far as your wireless setup is concerned, it may improve by repositioning your wireless adapter by just a few inches. All 5GHz seems best for wireless if you're not already swimming in extraneous noise in that spectrum. But it also seems to have a shorter range as well. Be advised that even hard-wired ETHERNET is not yet flawless with HD streams.

So, MRV is close to being released nationally? Can anyone confirm that D* is close to ready to release this as a national update?

Thanks

Both my DVR's are on a wired network. MRV is not quite glitch free (almost, but not quite). I am in the process of upgrading my network. I only have to buy two gigabit switches to go with my gigibit router. Maybe that will improve it. My point is that wired might not solve your problem even if you took the time to run the wires.

Try wireless N adapters, and maybe a dual band router so that the DVR's are on the 5ghz band and the rest of your wireless network is on the 2.4ghz band.

The powerline adapters might also work. Some have had good success with them.

Wireless or powerline, its all dependent on the distances involved, the equipment used, and specific stuff about your house like how the electric lines are run, how many walls are in the way and what they're made of, etc.

So theres no definitive answer. For wireless your best bet would be dual band wireless N router and all dual band N clients. For powerline a 200Mb/s setup might work, might not.

Theres really no way to guess, you have to try it. So the advice to make sure you can return what you buy is well made.

As Bill said, even hardwire isnt a guarantee. I'm all cat5e and gigabit switch. Still hiccups and glerks all the time. The dvr's just stop sending packets sometimes for several seconds because they're doing something else. No network of any kind will fix that problem.

I'm hardwired w/Cat6, 10/100 router and switch. HD via MVR works great EXCEPT for skipping forward or reverse.

Guys, I'm really anxious for the MRV as aI have multiple HR23s in the house and I even have CAT5 wired throughout the house just for this.

My question is, can I setup this network of HR23s without them having access to the ourside world, I just want it to be on a local network without the ability to see the otuside world.

Thanks!

Guys, I'm really anxious for the MRV as aI have multiple HR23s in the house and I even have CAT5 wired throughout the house just for this.

My question is, can I setup this network of HR23s without them having access to the ourside world, I just want it to be on a local network without the ability to see the otuside world.

Thanks!

Yes, it doesn't need to see the internet to work. Just curious though, why don't you, with no internet access you don't have DoD or TVApps.

Have CAT5 (big E) all over the house here with 100Mb Cisco switch 2940 and runs pretty smooth. I sometimes see a minor hiccup in the stream but it hardly uses any bandwidth so it's related to the crappy directv software.

Most streams don't use more then 20% of the 100Mb.

If you don't want it to see internet just configure it with an IP and subnet without a gateway or just block all traffic from that box to public.

Have CAT5 (big E) all over the house here with 100Mb Cisco switch 2940 and runs pretty smooth. I sometimes see a minor hiccup in the stream but it hardly uses any bandwidth so it's related to the crappy directv software.

Most streams don't use more then 20% of the 100Mb.

If you don't want it to see internet just configure it with an IP and subnet without a gateway or just block all traffic from that box to public.

Do you know when the MRV is going public?

Also to the above poster asking why I wouldn't want to have my boxes see the internet, well hypothetically speaking if I ever brought my boxes to my vacation home outside of the USA, I would be worried that the DirecTV servers would pick up on a Canadian IP, same thing for VOD, I'm not sure how that would fair with a Canadian IP...hypothetically speaking of course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)