MS blames PC makers for disappointing Win8 sales

That may be true by now but I looked in a number of reatail outlets about a week after release and I found as many windows 7 machines as Windows 8.
If Windows 7 machines are returning to the shelves, I'm betting it is because that's what the market demands. Given the paucity of machines that can take full advantage of Metro, it only makes sense.

If Windows 7 machines are returning to the shelves, I'm betting it is because that's what the market demands. Given the paucity of machines that can take full advantage of Metro, it only makes sense.

It is not so much that tehy are returning as that they never left. With previous launches machines with the old OS tended to disappear. This time around they have lingered in the stores. Again I am not sure they still as easy to find as they were at launch or over the holidays

How is windows 8 in any way an attempt to mimic apple? On a phone or computer front?
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Mimicing Apple by embracing touchscreens in a big way and moving towards pushing people towards an app centric model. Win8 is problematic for the vast majority of users who use keyboards and mice as their primary means of interacting with the OS. Stating that there are third party workarounds that mimic the old methodology misses the point.... From a usability standpoint, Win8 is hated by most users (I'm basing this on conversations with about two dozen users from various expertise levels). The experts may be more forgiving, but the beginner and intermediate level users get frustrated with the OS I've found. My point is that they are aggravating many who would stay with a MS OS out of inertia, and falling short vs. Apple in usability which won't win any of the Apple devotees over to their side.

It is not so much that tehy are returning as that they never left. With previous launches machines with the old OS tended to disappear. This time around they have lingered in the stores. Again I am not sure they still as easy to find as they were at launch or over the holidays

This reminds me of the Vista launch.... Early headaches had people requesting the older operating system for a LONG time after the new OS had dropped into the channel.

Meh.

To each their own. For me, I have been most pleased. I got a performance boost on my meager laptop, and can do everything with desktop that I could do with 7.

I don't have a touchscreen, but haven't found navigating metro all that challenging with a keyboard and mouse. It would be even better with a touchscreen for sure.

Now that I know the ends and outs, which took a few minutes at most, even finding the off switch, I can get around and do what I normally do much faster.

Of course I am also using a windows 8 phone, and also used a wp7 in the past, so I may have been more used to it than some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I live in a relative retail desert where our only major dealers are BB, Walmart and Costco. Costco was 100% Windows 8 and BB was all but three models. Walmart was 85% Windows 8. That has changed in the last couple weeks and there are several more Windows 7 machines on display in all cases.

Maybe they were getting brownie points for having Windows 8 machines on display for the holidays.

That is what is built into my laptop, so that is what I use when at home.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Chrome-OS-Chromebook-Windows-8-Jim-Wong-Windows-RT,20746.html

After suffering two consecutive annual losses, Taiwanese computer maker Acer Inc is now seeing strong sales in its notebook business thanks to Google's Chrome platform. These models accounted for between 5- and 10-percent of the company's U.S.-based shipments since launch in November. Windows 8, on the other hand, has thus far proved to be unsuccessful, the company said.

"The whole market didn’t come back to growth after the Windows 8 launch, that’s a simple way to judge if it is successful or not," said President Jim Wong in an interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)