Multi Room Viewing

B-Dog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
I am new to this forum, I love DirecTV, but I really would like to see multi room viewing. I finally got around to networking my HR21-700s together. I did the edge cutter keyword search, and see in the misc options that multi room is an option. (I am still on national release, I just finished today) However, I can't figure out how to make it work, any guidance on how to access recording from the other receiver?

Thanks

B-Dog

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to wait until Friday to get the CE, do I need the CE on both receivers, or will it work on just one?

I have thought about putting the CE on my bedroom receiver which we dont' use very often to see how stable it is etc. and keeping the national on the family room.

What I would like to start with for MRV is accessing recordings from the family room in the bedroom, just one way, then after I get more comfortable with the software and it stabilizes, I would like to go both ways.

You will need it on both since one receiver will be labeled bedroom and the other one will be labeled family room

If I put CE on just one receiver, would that the national receiver be able to see the recordings on the other?

I don't think that will work but if I were going to try it I would test that during the CE d/l window. And if it could work at all it would depend on your setup. I think it was working out OK in a setup where a user had CE on compatible non-DVR receiver but NR on his HR2x DVR. But I think this no longer works and CE s/b installed on all devices where MRV is to be used.

hopefully the CE that comes out tommorrow won't be high risk, my wife put the brakes on anything listed as high risk, she does not want to lose any recorded shows, so I will start a new thread with additional questions.

ETA for MRV nationwide production release?

Is there a rough ETA for the nationwide "production" release of MRV?

Equipment?

Can you use a Hxx receiver with a HRxx receiver for MRV? I need to know what equipment is needed before I sign up as a new customer.

Can you use a Hxx receiver with a HRxx receiver for MRV? I need to know what equipment is needed before I sign up as a new customer.

Remember, nothing has been officially published by DirecTV, so things can change at final customer implementation.

With that said, the CE release up to when DirecTV pulled MRV for the past few CE's to get ready for a national software update (minus MRV) had the H21/H23 being able to access recorded content from a HR2X HD DVR along with other HR2X's being able to view recordings on other HR2X's. In fact the HR2X -> H21/H23 capability was there first.

Remember, nothing has been officially published by DirecTV, so things can change at final customer implementation.

With that said, the CE release up to when DirecTV pulled MRV for the past few CE's to get ready for a national software update (minus MRV) had the H21/H23 being able to access recorded content from a HR2X HD DVR along with other HR2X's being able to view recordings on other HR2X's. In fact the HR2X -> H21/H23 capability was there first.

Thanks

Does MRV allow for Multi-Room Recording? For example, if I'm watching something on a H2x and I'm going through the program guide and I see something I want to record to my HR2X in the other room, can I just press the record button for the H2x and it will send the request to the HR2x? As I type this I'm getting the feeling that the answer will be a resounding "NO", but I figured I'd ask..

Does MRV allow for Multi-Room Recording? For example, if I'm watching something on a H2x and I'm going through the program guide and I see something I want to record to my HR2X in the other room, can I just press the record button for the H2x and it will send the request to the HR2x? As I type this I'm getting the feeling that the answer will be a resounding "NO", but I figured I'd ask..

Not with what's been available in the CE's so far.

But who knows that DirecTV will do in the future. DirecTV purchased the Replay TV patents and that system allowed for cooperative scheduling so maybe something would be added in some future release to add a feature like that?

Yes Please

Not with what's been available in the CE's so far.

But who knows that DirecTV will do in the future. DirecTV purchased the Replay TV patents and that system allowed for cooperative scheduling so maybe something would be added in some future release to add a feature like that?

While they don't have it yet, I hope they ware working on getting it. IPTV currently supports multi room and 4 simultaneous recordings, if Directv puts this feature out, then two DVR's from directv will achieve the same result, but way better service and hardware, hd content...the list goes on and on. But really give AT&T and Verizon a run for their money by making great service, (plus theoretically you can record 8 shows at once with cooperative scheduling if you have 4 seperate DVRs) and while I am on this thought pattern, why not make cooperative hard drive useage, if one hard drive is full, but another has room, instead of deleting programs, send it to another hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)