Multi- vs. Unidirectional Antenna(s)

Ok, I did miss that part of your post...
Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not criticizing you, as you did point out again that it can't do low VHF (which is true). I wasn't considering you may have been posting for others, so I missed THAT.

As you said in another comment, perhaps there's others that may read this post and there are a few places using Low VHF. In that case this antenna would NOT be a good choice because it specifically filters OUT low VHF, along with FM, and LTE/5g.

Televes DOES make another antenna that's for LOW Vhf, HIGH Vhf, AND UHF.

Reactions: Foxbat and NYDutch
The tightest beam - longest length Yagi-type antenna, has about a 30 degree "look angle", but a fairly long range. A shorter yagi antenna, would have about a 60 degree "look angle", but a shorter range.

7 degrees is NOTHING.

IF your furthest towers are really only about 42 miles away, this antenna should work well for you: Televes Ellipse Mix Amplified TV Antenna - LTE Ready (148883)

I have one, and it's exceptional. It's on sale right now also. That antenna will work for UHF, and high-VHF channels. IF you also need LOW Vhf channels, you'll need a different antenna. Why don't you run a report, and post the link here?: RabbitEars.Info
Hi, Mike --

Before I ordered the Televes Ellipse, I came upon this webpage and ordered an antenna installation from SLING (1-888-364-6055). You don't get to pick or provide an antenna, but I got a discount for having a SLING subscription and an additional discount for using an AirTV devise, which I got for free when I subscribed to SLING. Dish installed a Televes DINOVA BOSS MIX for $106.99 after the discounts. The installation is first-rate, but the installer ignored me when I told him my building was oriented N-S and installed the antenna pointing magnetic north.

1. WNCT CBS has a magnetic direction of 8.5° and reception is poor. Would it do me any good to rotate the antenna?

2. I don't know how to compare the Ellipse and DINOVA. Does the Ellipse offer a clear advantage?

Thanks again.

Have you done a signal search map at rabbitears.info? RabbitEars.Info

This will give us a better idea of your antenna needs.

It is OK to experiment with the antenna direction as long as it does not endanger you by where the antenna is located. Be sure to note the current orientation with a magic marker or the like.

Reactions: Larry1
1. WNCT CBS has a magnetic direction of 8.5° and reception is poor. Would it do me any good to rotate the antenna?

2. I don't know how to compare the Ellipse and DINOVA. Does the Ellipse offer a clear advantage?
WNCT is RF12, but over 41 miles from you. It would definitely help to point it more directly right at that station, just make sure the VHF dipole rods are pulled OUT to there full extension. Also make SURE the power supply is plugged in for the antenna.

The Dinova is a good antenna for urban areas, but as I said above, just make SURE that the VHF dipole rods were pulled out to full extension. Your distances to your local UHF towers are short enough, that it may work well for you, not so sure about WNCT. Though, the Ellipse Mix 148883 model would give you a better signal/margin to go with, and would for sure be better for WNCT RF12.

P.S. VHF is very susceptible to electrical interference around your house. Electrically noisy power bricks, battery tenders, LED lighting. Try turning OFF everything in the house except the tv set, and see if reception improves. If so, turn on devices one at a time and see which one may be causing a problem.

Have you done a signal search map at rabbitears.info? RabbitEars.Info

This will give us a better idea of your antenna needs.

It is OK to experiment with the antenna direction as long as it does not endanger you by where the antenna is located. Be sure to note the current orientation with a magic marker or the like.
He did, way back at the beginning of the thread.

I also repeated the link in question 1 (WNCT CBS).
Did he mount the Dinova using its included J - pole? You can add an extension pole using a "Chainlink Fence Top Rail" post, and maybe get it UP another 5' or so. That can't hurt. Those are swaged at the end, so fit inside the regular j pole. Then you can use a U-bolt to clamp them together.

Did he mount the Dinova using its included J - pole? You can add an extension pole using a "Chainlink Fence Top Rail" post, and maybe get it UP another 5' or so. That can't hurt. Those are swaged at the end, so fit inside the regular j pole. Then you can use a U-bolt to clamp them together.
I think I'd have a problem with the HOA if the antenna was any higher.

I also think I have an unobstructed line of sight to WNCT, and the problem is just a weak signal. WITN NBC, a much stronger station, is on the same tower, and I don't have any issues with it.

The reason I ask the questions is that it's going to cost about $50 to rotate the antenna. I could instead install a different antenna for about the same price now that everything is in place.

I think I'd have a problem with the HOA if the antenna was any higher.

I also think I have an unobstructed line of sight to WNCT, and the problem is just a weak signal. WITN NBC, a much stronger station, is on the same tower, and I don't have any issues with it.

The reason I ask the questions is that it's going to cost about $50 to rotate the antenna. I could instead install a different antenna for about the same price now that everything is in place.
you have some interfering problems on high vhf. My reception is different. I the winter I receive WITN but lose it diring leaf season (April to October), WNCT and WCTI are my strongest from that direction, WNCT and WITN are 57.8 miles from my location and WCTI in 48 miles and 35 miles from WPXU

I am only 28 miles from WUNJ amd 40 miles from WWAY, WECT & WSFX

With exception of WITN hit and miss during summer and WYDO mostly received during the summer every other Station from all five Towers are received 100% of the time.

An update for those who may be considering the Televes Dinova: I finally got someone to rotate the antenna directly at the WNCT tower, and the reception is improved, but not good. I conclude that the Dinova is just not enough antenna for a field strength of 71.59 dBuV/m at 41.6 mi.

An update for those who may be considering the Televes Dinova: I finally got someone to rotate the antenna directly at the WNCT tower, and the reception is improved, but not good. I conclude that the Dinova is just not enough antenna for a field strength of 71.59 dBuV/m at 41.6 mi.
As I said in a post above, this would be a far better choice for you. I have one myself: Televes Ellipse Mix Amplified TV Antenna - LTE Ready (148883)

You can buy it anywhere you'd like, just make SURE you buy that exact model version, 148883. It's the newest and best version.

Reactions: Foxbat
Mike you convinced me, have one on the way. Now what to do withe the Stellar Labs high VHF and the Big Yagi Stellar labs antennas. The UHF will get flipped to vertical along with the VHF high for scanner use!

Reactions: primestar31
As I said in a post above, this would be a far better choice for you. I have one myself: Televes Ellipse Mix Amplified TV Antenna - LTE Ready (148883)

You can buy it anywhere you'd like, just make SURE you buy that exact model version, 148883. It's the newest and best version.
I finally replaced the Dinova with a 148883 Ellipse. It's better, and I can watch WNCT, but it still breaks up regularly. Was it worth the expense? Maybe not, but now I know. I also know that the Dinova is remarkably good for such a tiny, unobtrusive antenna.

I finally replaced the Dinova with a 148883 Ellipse. It's better, and I can watch WNCT, but it still breaks up regularly. Was it worth the expense? Maybe not, but now I know. I also know that the Dinova is remarkably good for such a tiny, unobtrusive antenna.
Something is wrong with your install then, because your signals in the report are showing so strong, the Ellipse should certainly work for you. Heck, a paperclip should work. Was the reception report really run at your exact houses coordinates, where the antenna is installed? Is it really outside, and UP at least the 20' you ran the report at?

Is the power injector plugged in, and the light on it GREEN? Is your antenna aimed properly, and/or do you have a lot of trees and such?

Something is wrong with your install then, because your signals in the report are showing so strong, the Ellipse should certainly work for you. Heck, a paperclip should work. Was the reception report really run at your exact houses coordinates, where the antenna is installed? Is it really outside, and UP at least the 20' you ran the report at?

Is the power injector plugged in, and the light on it GREEN? Is your antenna aimed properly, and/or do you have a lot of trees and such?
A field strength of 71.59 dBuV/m is strong? I only have issues with WNCT.

A field strength of 71.59 dBuV/m is strong? I only have issues with WNCT.
It's not that bad, that station is LOS for you, and IF the Ellipse is pointed close to it, (VHF it has about a 60 degree beam) you should not be having breakups. However, it IS on High VHF rf12 which means any sort of electrical interference from power bricks, LED lightbulbs, lawn tractor battery tenders and the like can cause all sorts of interference and breakups.

I also have a RF12, WJRT, and years ago had the same issue. I first tracked it down to a Harbor Freight battery tender on my lawn tractor, several hundred feet away in the garage. I unplugged that, and the breakups stopped. A few weeks later they started up again. That time it turned out to be a Dell laptop power brick that was doing it. I bought a new one, and have never had issues since.

So, you need to track it down. Maybe turn OFF all your breakers in the box except for the one for your tv set, and the antennas power injector. IF the station then stays steady with no breakups, start turning on other breakers one at a time, and see what happens. IF you flip one on and the interference starts, track down what on that circuit is causing it. Even some certain brand LED lightbulbs can do it.

Hopefully whatever is doing it is in your control, on your property, and not a neighbors, or a noisy transformer out on a power pole. Those can be tracked down with an old-school AM pocket radio, set low on the dial where there's no station. Interference will be reflected in the noise your hear.

It's not that bad, that station is LOS for you, and IF the Ellipse is pointed close to it, (VHF it has about a 60 degree beam) you should not be having breakups. However, it IS on High VHF rf12 which means any sort of electrical interference from power bricks, LED lightbulbs, lawn tractor battery tenders and the like can cause all sorts of interference and breakups.

I also have a RF12, WJRT, and years ago had the same issue. I first tracked it down to a Harbor Freight battery tender on my lawn tractor, several hundred feet away in the garage. I unplugged that, and the breakups stopped. A few weeks later they started up again. That time it turned out to be a Dell laptop power brick that was doing it. I bought a new one, and have never had issues since.

So, you need to track it down. Maybe turn OFF all your breakers in the box except for the one for your tv set, and the antennas power injector. IF the station then stays steady with no breakups, start turning on other breakers one at a time, and see what happens. IF you flip one on and the interference starts, track down what on that circuit is causing it. Even some certain brand LED lightbulbs can do it.

Hopefully whatever is doing it is in your control, on your property, and not a neighbors, or a noisy transformer out on a power pole. Those can be tracked down with an old-school AM pocket radio, set low on the dial where there's no station. Interference will be reflected in the noise your hear.
The antenna is pointed pretty much geodetic north, so only a degree off the tower. I don't have any problem with WCTI, also a high-VHF channel. But I do have a ton of LED bulbs ...