Multifeed ku dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Never tried to do this, really, on a ku dish but I'm wondering if I can rig an extra lnbf on one of these spare Primestar dishes I have. My idea was to get my two favorite feed-birds on a single dish-85 and 91w. Has anybody been able to do 6degrees on a 84E dish, or a 1m round primestar, or are those just too close together for one little dish?

I have one 84E dish that came with the dual feed/lnb setup. Works great but there is a website out there that you can order the dual lnb assembly. Mine is set at 91/97W

If you are looking for a good start check out Mike Kohls global-cm web site he does custom multi feeds he has pictures of a 1.8M offset for KU band.

Thanks for the info, mark that at least tells me that it can be done. If I don't find the ready-made gadget I bet I can build one!
Appreciate the replies, gives me a project now that its getting cold enough to work outdoors, lol.

6 degrees is ok, 4 degrees is tough, i have a post out there on how i did 4 degrees, but you can buy a special lnb setup that gets 4 degrees.
I think you are looking at 6 degrees? should be effortless if you bracketing doesn't need too much work. - as long as you are not doing a minibud that is.

Never tried to do this, really, on a ku dish but I'm wondering if I can rig an extra lnbf on one of these spare Primestar dishes I have. My idea was to get my two favorite feed-birds on a single dish-85 and 91w. Has anybody been able to do 6degrees on a 84E dish, or a 1m round primestar, or are those just too close together for one little dish?

WS International offers their ESX521U-AM adjustable monoblock lnbf which ranges from 4 to 12 degree apart spacing. Maybe check that out! ;)

One note about the 84e with the two lnb's, I have two of those dishes and the mount is designed so the whole dish is skewed with the lnb's set at zero skew. My single lnb 84e mount does not skew the dish. So it is more involved than just rigging the lnb's if you wish to maximize the signal from both satellites.

One note about the 84e with the two lnb's, I have two of those dishes and the mount is designed so the whole dish is skewed with the lnb's set at zero skew. My single lnb 84e mount does not skew the dish. So it is more involved than just rigging the lnb's if you wish to maximize the signal from both satellites.

good point, i had forgotten that i had changed all my mounts for my 84e dishes to the newer dn and direct mounts for the skew function.
their ht adj don't match the old primestars numbers.

Turbo,

Here is a pic from last year using a 1 metre Wineguard. Pointed at 91, with 83 and 101 on the sides. I could also get 97, which is 6 degree offset, but 1/3 of lnb was behind scaler. Most TP's came in. You should have no problems.

I used a chainsaw file holder for 83, and a goose neck with hose clamp for97/101. It was from an old lamp and I think lead cause it is very heavy. With this you can find other sats in seconds.

Cheers, Catamount lnb.jpg

Turbo,

a goose neck with hose clamp for97/101. It was from an old lamp and I think lead cause it is very heavy.

This goose neck is great idea worth trying. Gives more "degrees of freedom" for adjusting LNB than plain piece of plastic. Regards, polgyver

More good input, people! I think since I'm going to be pointed so close to due south (about 86 for me here) I will try it with the lnbfs at zero, and see what happens before I try building a skew-plate onto the 84E. I don't think one of these flimsy Dish Pro dishes' mounts would hold that heavy dish in place. But I have other alternatives for that, in case I decide the dish needs skewing. I know with that shape dish, its better to skew the whole thing instead of the lnbs , if you get very far way from true south/zero skew.
RT-cat, seems like it stayed 94-96degrees for 3 months around here this summer-so I put off doing much of anything outside, the gulf humidity will drop you if you work very hard in it!

More good input, people! I think since I'm going to be pointed so close to due south (about 86 for me here) I will try it with the lnbfs at zero, and see what happens before I try building a skew-plate onto the 84E. I don't think one of these flimsy Dish Pro dishes' mounts would hold that heavy dish in place. But I have other alternatives for that, in case I decide the dish needs skewing. I know with that shape dish, its better to skew the whole thing instead of the lnbs , if you get very far way from true south/zero skew.
RT-cat, seems like it stayed 94-96degrees for 3 months around here this summer-so I put off doing much of anything outside, the gulf humidity will drop you if you work very hard in it!

I recommend this bracket from the newer dish 1004s. i like the old direct slimeline that is on one of the dishes shown, the rest are the old dish brackets that i did not mean to suggest, but i am using ok.
As you can see from the bracketing, you just do anything you wish.
if the skew av is 0 or close , i would just skew the lnbs also.
the setups are temporary as i am in the process of moving all to the backyard.

Attachments

• IM005349.JPG
    IM005349.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IM005350.JPG
    IM005350.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 157
I recommend this bracket from the newer dish 1004s. i like the old direct slimeline that is on one of the dishes shown, the rest are the old dish brackets that i did not mean to suggest, but i am using ok.
As you can see from the bracketing, you just do anything you wish.

What is a dish 1004?? The bracket you show on the floor in your first photo has a place to hook the arm onto. How can you use that for Primestars??? I have been hoarding brackets from Dish 500's and Super Dishes for my conversions. Which dish has the slimline bracket?? The one towards the ground with the 2 mounted above on the same pole???

1945 vac case, i have 2 up and running. on the other side of the house are the new posts and the hydraulic dish installer (953 trac loader)
pretty much your imagination is the limit.
Wife says i need to remove that stuff from the front of the yard. i agree, it all looks like heck.
The back yard was made this year LOL! no grass yet but lots of rocks.

The brackets on the dishes were specific need based. i wont make the next ones like those are.

I recommend this bracket from the newer dish 1004s.

I found more photos and info on those brackets on Ebay which are available separately. They look pretty cool but I cannot see paying for them. I will have to watch more on garbage night to see if any are available. I have not been payng any attention to the newer pizza pans but I will be now! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts