Multipath Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Someone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
New question, so I decided to start a new topic. Quick recap: using a Silver Sensor through an HR10-250 to pick up local HDs. One of my locals seems to show multipath more than any other. It's also the weakest of my signals. Does signal strength matter as far as multipath is concerned? What is a "good" signal strength? Is the fact that the multipath is worse on the one channel attributable to the station or to me?

It also rained pretty good here today (but it's not raining now and the problem continues to persist). The signal strength is less today than what it was yesterday (when it was sunny). Would that have any effect?

I've seen a lot of discussion about preamps and signal attenuators. Would either of these options be of any help to me, and if so, specifically which products would you recomend? If neither of those can help, what are my options?

Sorry if any of these questions are "stupid," but I'm trying to learn. Thanks in advance. You guys continue to be a great help to me, and it is very much appreciated.

Someone said:
New question, so I decided to start a new topic. Quick recap: using a Silver Sensor through an HR10-250 to pick up local HDs. One of my locals seems to show multipath more than any other. It's also the weakest of my signals. Does signal strength matter as far as multipath is concerned? What is a "good" signal strength? Is the fact that the multipath is worse on the one channel attributable to the station or to me?

I missed the earlier thread, so I'll ask. How exactly are you determining that multipath is the problem?

snathanb said:
I missed the earlier thread, so I'll ask. How exactly are you determining that multipath is the problem?

Well, I appear to be getting a good signal (between 75-80) for the most part on the one station. But there are times when it just drops out for a few seconds. Also, it's the only station that I really have a problem with pixelation and "freezing up" at times. I thought that this was due to a multipath issue (but I guess I could be wrong).

The drop outs are not always a sign of multipath but can also be a weak signal and/or a combination of both.

moisture inhibits signal. Combination of outside moistur and a buidup of moisture within ine exterior.

What is you zipcode so we may take a look at some more details.?

The zip is 39216.

Here are my results from antennaweb:

* yellow - vhf WLBT-DT 3.1 NBC JACKSON MS 231° 15.2 9
* yellow - uhf WAPT-DT 16.1 ABC JACKSON MS 235° 8.5 21
* yellow - uhf WMPN-DT 20.1 PBS JACKSON MS 230° 17.3 20
* red - uhf WJTV-DT 12.1 CBS JACKSON MS 229° 6.8 52
* red - uhf WDBD-DT 35.1 FOX Jackson MS 231° 15.2 41

The problem is with the CBS station (which is the closest to me). I get a stronger signal (and no problems) from the ABC.

it may be as simple as

the silver sensor antenna may not be enough antenna to receive the station you desire.

you can add a longer coax and experiment with location and heigth off the floor...then you may be in the position where you would get up and fiddle everytime you change a channel.

it may be best to install a medium sided antenna outside like a winegard hd7080p or hd7082p or a cm4228 instead of screwing around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)