Multiple apartments- one dish, MRV, and on-demand

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can use BS Filters to accomplish not sharing dvrs.

I'm not sure how that could work. All the receivers are connected to the SWiM switch. If you place a filter between the SWiM switch and the DVR to prevent sharing, then how would receivers within the same apartment be able to share with each other to do MRV? That doesn't make sense.

Right away I see an issue of Directv not knowing all these apartments were using one dish.

As I said, I explicitly told them this before any work was done.

No do not follow your diagram. Follow mine. It will make things much easier for you and will let ya'll use your own internet connection.

Your diagram doesn't show how the system ties into the internet, so it doesn't really address the problem.

I'm not sure how that could work. All the receivers are connected to the SWiM switch. If you place a filter between the SWiM switch and the DVR to prevent sharing, then how would receivers within the same apartment be able to share with each other to do MRV? That doesn't make sense.

Right now, you have every receiver going to a 1x8 splitter. To isolate each apartment, you will have to add a 1x2 splitter downstream and have the receivers connect to that instead. From there, you can see where you add the Band stop Filter:

DIRECTV Band Stop Filter (BSFR01) - DIRECTV - BSFR01 -

As far as the internet goes, this should also be isolated by the BSF, but if it isn't, you should be able to limit internet traffic to those devices in your apartment.

That being said, it makes no sense that the installer left you with fewer working receivers than before he came to your property and then expects you to pay $50 to fix it. Are you dealing with Directv itself or a local subcontractor?

To me, it seems like you have an accounting problem that only Directv can fix, in addition to your technical problem. You can try sending an email to Ellen Filipak, VP of Customer Service to see if you can get this resolved:

eafilipiak@directv.com

Your diagram doesn't show how the system ties into the internet, so it doesn't really address the problem.

Here is how it would work from the splitter off the DirecTV. Very easy setup. Your internet never touches the DireCTV until inside each apartment.

15rmxr6.png

As I said, I explicitly told them this before any work was done.

I understand if you just want to tell them to hit the road hdrider, but I'm just trying to help, and gleen any information possible to do so.

Right now, you have every receiver going to a 1x8 splitter. To isolate each apartment, you will have to add a 1x2 splitter downstream and have the receivers connect to that instead. From there, you can see where you add the Band stop Filter:

DIRECTV Band Stop Filter (BSFR01) - DIRECTV - BSFR01 -

Okay, that makes sense.

As far as the internet goes, this should also be isolated by the BSF, but if it isn't, you should be able to limit internet traffic to those devices in your apartment.

How would I find out if it is or isn't isolated by the BSF before I try it? And if it isn't, how would I limit internet traffic to devices within the apartment?

That being said, it makes no sense that the installer left you with fewer working receivers than before he came to your property and then expects you to pay $50 to fix it. Are you dealing with Directv itself or a local subcontractor?

DirectTV is who both I and the tenant have tried to talk to about this. They won't talk to me because the dish was switched to her account. They won't talk to her, because it's my problem (as owner of the building).

To me, it seems like you have an accounting problem that only Directv can fix, in addition to your technical problem. You can try sending an email to Ellen Filipak, VP of Customer Service to see if you can get this resolved:

eafilipiak@directv.com

I may give it a try, although between the installer being out and the time on the phone, I have already wasted over 8 solid hours on this, and I'm kind of tired of fighting the stupidity.

Here is how it would work from the splitter off the DirecTV. Very easy setup. Your internet never touches the DireCTV until inside each apartment.

15rmxr6.png

I'm not sure how that would work unless the DVR happens to be located right next to the internet router, which it isn't in any of the apartments.

If you place a bandstop filter at the point of entry for each apartment, it will block MRV (as well as Directv2PC and Media Share) from being shared with the other apartments over the DECA network.

To expand on what I said above, use a 4-way (green label) splitter after the dish and feed the 3 apartments from 3 of the outputs through bandstop filters (the fourth output should be terminated). As long as there are no more than 8 (SWM-capable) tuners (total) that will work. To go beyond 8, a SWM16 should be used with a non-SWM dish. An additional splitter can be used to feed multiple receivers (or DECA adapters connected to routers) in each apartment.

If you can't get anywhere with the Directv CSRs, email ellen.filipiak@directv.com explaining your situation.

I understand if you just want to tell them to hit the road hdrider, but I'm just trying to help, and gleen any information possible to do so.

I understand, and I'm curious about how this stuff can be made to work, which is why I'm still here trying to learn.

But I'm starting to wonder if in the bigger picture this stuff is really worth fighting for, and jumping through hoops over, or maybe it's time to pull the plug on the whole mess. As I said, I've been with DirecTV for over 12 years continuously and I'm not convinced it's such a great value anymore.

And DirecTV customer service must be run by a pack of idiots. This technology is not rocket science from what I can see. If they would publish a half-dozen wiring diagrams for different setups (multi-unit building, legacy tuners, single family home with many tuners, etc) similar to the diagrams in this thread, then the public (and their own customer service reps and field technicians, for God's sake) could figure out what the heck they are doing, and quit wasting everyone's time and generating mass confusion. How long would that take someone to pull together, a couple of hours?

I think this is a lost cause. The OP has made up his mind on what he wants to do. I understand that DirecTV messed up but, a simple call should fix his problems and I along with many others have given plently of options to make things all work out.

I'm officially done with helping on this issue.

I think this is a lost cause. The OP has made up his mind on what he wants to do. I understand that DirecTV messed up but, a simple call should fix his problems and I along with many others have given plently of options to make things all work out.

I'm officially done with helping on this issue.

I'm interested in solutions, but as I said, your diagram does not appear to offer any unless the DVR happens to be located next to the router, probably a rare occurrence. Also the bandstop filters that others have mentioned seem like a logical approach to me, but you don't show them in your diagram. Are you suggesting that the others are wrong, and the band stop filters are not needed?

As far as a "simple" phone call, I have already explained the phone calls I have made to DTV, and the catch-22 they have placed me in.

I'm interested in solutions, but as I said, your diagram does not appear to offer any unless the DVR happens to be located next to the router, probably a rare occurrence. Also the bandstop filters that others have mentioned seem like a logical approach to me, but you don't show them in your diagram. Are you suggesting that the others are wrong, and the band stop filters are not needed?

As far as a "simple" phone call, I have already explained the phone calls I have made to DTV, and the catch-22 they have placed me in.

I'm not saying anyone here has presented you with wrong suggestions, I'm just saying that you have many options.

You don't have to be wired but, it is the prefered method. A simple Google search turned up this. http://www.directv.com/cms2/support/interactive_guides/DTV_Quick-Start-Guide.pdf

It has instructions of a wired or wireless connection in each apartment. Yes, it does say Video on Demand but, it is esentially the same. It connects the receiver to your network/internet. Often times at least one reciever is close enough to connect via network cable the other can be connected via wireless.

This is only need though for those who wich to have Video on Demand or Whole Home DVR. If they don't want the services then there is no need for connecting the receivers to the network or internet.

As for calling, call Account Services. Keep saying "cancel service" when you call the 800 number and you will reach them. Explain what happened and be firm and persistant. Demand to speak with a manager if needed. You are the owner of the building and they should abide by what you want. I'm confident that they will make things right and if they don't then this is the department to cancel through anyhow.

QUOTE=hdrider;2280037]Okay, that makes sense.

How would I find out if it is or isn't isolated by the BSF before I try it? And if it isn't, how would I limit internet traffic to devices within the apartment?

Every internet-enabled device has what is called a MAC address. Your router's software should have a menu that allows you to limit internet traffic to only those devices' MAC addresses you approve of.

That's interesting. So there is a wireless method, that's the first I've heard of that. So if you use the wireless adapters shown in the diagram, you don't need the DECA boxes at all, either for on-demand or whole house DVR? Are the band stop filters required?

You can do this, but you would have to run ethernet(either wired or wireless adapter) to all of your receivers. If you use DECA, you would only have to run one coax cable from your splitter to your router, as shown in this diagram.

Attachments

• deca-diagram3.jpg
    deca-diagram3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 124
That's interesting. So there is a wireless method, that's the first I've heard of that. So if you use the wireless adapters shown in the diagram, you don't need the DECA boxes at all, either for on-demand or whole house DVR? Are the band stop filters required?

You can't use wireless adapters for supported MRV. You must use the broadband adapter. All that is required is an additional cable run from the splitter (the one for your apartment) to wherever your router is, the adapter connects there with a power supply.

If I were you, I would have a slimeline reinstalled and go with a SWiM 16 or even a SWiM 32 multiswitch. You would run 1x4 green labeled splitters off the multiswitch, on to each apartment. Then you would have extra ports in the splitter for the broadband DECA and each receiver. Plus one more for future use. A bandstop filter will go between each 1x4 and the SWiM16/32 to prevent MRV and Internet from being shared between apartments.

You can't use wireless adapters for supported MRV. You must use the broadband adapter.

I see. So I guess Netflush920's diagram is not a viable solution if you are using MRV unless the receiver happens to be located next to the router.

If you use DECA, you would only have to run one coax cable from your splitter to your router, as shown in this diagram.

That diagram is kind of what I'm envisioning at this point. But why is there a BS filter and 2 coax between the HR 20 and the splitter?

If I were you, I would have a slimeline reinstalled and go with a SWiM 16 or even a SWiM 32 multiswitch. You would run 1x4 green labeled splitters off the multiswitch, on to each apartment. Then you would have extra ports in the splitter for the broadband DECA and each receiver. Plus one more for future use. A bandstop filter will go between each 1x4 and the SWiM16/32 to prevent MRV and Internet from being shared between apartments.

That's what I'm thinking I should do. The only problem is I need to get through the stupidity at DTV customer service to get my old dish back up. I'm not sure I have the time right now to spend hours on the phone and then have the tech show up without the right equipment after waiting half a day for him. Still trying to figure out if it's worth dealing with these clowns.

That's what I'm thinking I should do. The only problem is I need to get through the stupidity at DTV customer service to get my old dish back up. I'm not sure I have the time right now to spend hours on the phone and then have the tech show up without the right equipment after waiting half a day for him. Still trying to figure out if it's worth dealing with these clowns.

How handy are you? You could buy the LNB (no reason to align the dish then .....if you are careful) and the mulitswitch from Solid Signal or Sadoon (a Satguys sponser) and install it yourself. That doesn't help you with the MRV issue. You would still need to get them to come out and install that portion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)