Multiple local/dma packages?

mjstraw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
I remember some talk a while back about being able to purchase multiple local packages "real soon".

We're in PA, right on the edge of the Pittsburgh and Johnstown/Altoona DMAs. Disk sez we can subscribe to Pittsburgh local channels.

If I can only have one, then I'm glad it's Pgh. But I'd really like to have both. Looks like I'm covered by both "spots" so it should be technically possible.

Any way I can do this?

Mark

You can't get "out of market" locals, based on your true service address, now (from Dish). There is no "on the edge", you're in one market or the other.

Unless Dish Network can get a completely copyright-cleared carriage contract without using the copyright exception granted in the SHVA (Chapter 17 of US Code, Section 119), Dish Network cannot offer distant stations of any "big four" network anywhere.

I remember some talk a while back about being able to purchase multiple local packages "real soon".

We're in PA, right on the edge of the Pittsburgh and Johnstown/Altoona DMAs. Disk sez we can subscribe to Pittsburgh local channels.

If I can only have one, then I'm glad it's Pgh. But I'd really like to have both. Looks like I'm covered by both "spots" so it should be technically possible.

Any way I can do this?

Mark

Yes, there is a secret on how to get locals from 2 areas. I got Columbia SC locals, and Charlotte NC locals, but I actually don't live in either city. It's not hard to find their glitches!

Last edited:
My setup:

OTA=GREENVILLE/SPARTANGBURG SC
DISH=COLUMBIA SC & CHARLOTTE NC
STARCHOICE=SEATTLE, SPOKANE, DETROIT\
BIG DISH=DENVER, NEW YORK
NPS=ATLANTA & SAN FRANCISCO

If you let the secret out, dish network will surely change things around. Remember spotbeams limit reception too.

DISH=COLUMBIA SC & CHARLOTTE NC

Well, there's only 1 way that I can think of that you are getting these 2 markets BOTH on DISH, & that is with at least 2 separate receivers on separate accounts, since DISH would not (knowingly anyway) be authorizing 2 DMA's on the same account. So, either you are using 2 accounts of your own, or you are stacking additional receivers off somebody else's. ;)

(well, there IS another way - but I'll go on the assumption you are NOT hacking your DISH service :D )

If you let the secret out, dish network will surely change things around. Remember spotbeams limit reception too.

These are hardly well kept secrets - mostly common sense... :confused: ;)

Well, there's only 1 way that I can think of that you are getting these 2 markets BOTH on DISH, & that is with at least 2 separate receivers on separate accounts, since DISH would not (knowingly anyway) be authorizing 2 DMA's on the same account. So, either you are using 2 accounts of your own, or you are stacking additional receivers off somebody else's. ;)

(well, there IS another way - but I'll go on the assumption you are NOT hacking your DISH service :D )

These are hardly well kept secrets - mostly common sense... :confused: ;)

NO HACK HERE.

Got one bill, no stacked receivers, no seperate accounts, just a glitch in their system, not mine.

Well if the information he provides is accurate it is NOT a hack just what could be called a Computer Glitch Be interesting to see if it works.

Any way I can do this?

Mark
Goes by your zip...One per customer only..Legitimately ,that is

Well, I know it doesn't go by zip code, because my zip code is mostly in the Dayton DMA but I receive the Cincinnati DMA locals. A CSR once told me it goes by lat and long but I'm sure that is not it either. I think it goes by county. Anyway it goes, I subscribe to the Cincy locals but I get no guide info because the guide info does go by zip code and my zip is mostly in Dayton's DMA. For some reason, I get no guide info for either Dayton or Cincy OTA locals. It is frustrating because I have to manually set timers for OTA shows. Dish says they can't do anything for me. My only hope is for significantly viewed locals to be allowed by Dish. That is for people like me who live between two DMAs, they would be able to legally subscribe to both DMAs.

Well, I know it doesn't go by zip code, because my zip code is mostly in the Dayton DMA but I receive the Cincinnati DMA locals. A CSR once told me it goes by lat and long but I'm sure that is not it either. I think it goes by county. Anyway it goes, I subscribe to the Cincy locals but I get no guide info because the guide info does go by zip code and my zip is mostly in Dayton's DMA. For some reason, I get no guide info for either Dayton or Cincy OTA locals. It is frustrating because I have to manually set timers for OTA shows. Dish says they can't do anything for me. My only hope is for significantly viewed locals to be allowed by Dish. That is for people like me who live between two DMAs, they would be able to legally subscribe to both DMAs.
link. .http://www.geographic.com/teleatlas/teleatlassupport/docs/Dma24_07_1.pdf Counties Split by 5-Digit ZIP Code
For the most part, a DMA® boundary will encompass several whole counties;
however, in some cases the DMA® boundary will split a county in half. These splits
generally occur because some physical feature blocks television signals or because
two or more broadcasting centers compete for the same broadcasting area.
In this product, Tele Atlas® splits these counties by using 5-digit ZIP Codes. The split
is accomplished by approximating a line that will split a county into equal halves.
Then, by following the nearest ZIP Code boundaries to that line, the county is split in
half by the ZIP Code boundaries.
For example...Norwood,NC...
The town is in Stanly County(CharlotteDMA)...However residents may also live in Montgomery County(Greesboro DMA) and still have a Norwood zip code. Therefore all those subs receive Charlotte locals even thoiugh technically their home is located within the boundaries of a county in another DMA...Silly isn't it?.But AC Nielsen had to use a tool to mark boundaries....It is possible that although you live in a county served by Dayton, your zip code according to whichever satco you use, has you in the Cincy DMA...Here's another link that you may find informative in a general sense..http://www.medialifemagazine.com/news2001/aug01/aug20/4_thurs/news1thursday.html...Yoiur DMA's may have very well been part of these adjustments. If so, one of the satcos has not received the update...Pure speculation on my part...

The one was I know of getting 2, is if your county moved from one DMA to another. Dish will then give you both. Franklin County, PA and a county in Washington State get 2 DMA's this way.

What's especially frustrating is that SHIVA was supposed to put satellite on an equal footing with cable, and around here the cable systems offer the stations of two adjacent DMAs. Getting all the stations in both DMAs doesn't get you more than 2 from any network either.

Mark

Losing HD signal everyday

VIP 222 Dish N UP Cost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts