Multiple receivers, one dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgoecken

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I have a true FTA KU set up with a fortec Mercury II receiver and one stationary dish. If I want to add another receiver for another room can I just connect the new receiver to my current one to receive the same signal? If so, will both receivers operate independently? I'd like to have two seperate TV's showing different channels off the same dish. Thanks.

It IS possible to use the IF out connector on your Merc II to connect another receiver, but the 2d receiver will not have full control unless the FIRST receiver ( call it the master) is in standby mode.
A better solution is to have a cable to each receiver from a dual output lnbf, giving each receiver full control. For more than 2 receivers, the dual output lnbf can feed a multiswitch which then serves 4 or more receivers, each with full channel selection.
First thing to do, is determine whether or not you have 2 outputs on your lnbf, to be able to avail yourself of the better options.

:)

Brent

Thanks for the quick reply. I only have a single LNBF so it looks like I'll have to use standby mode. Can you tell me more about standby mode? Do I have to set the master receiver to that or does it just go into it if you are using the secondary receiver? Does it just mean you can't change channels at the same time?

Thanks for the quick reply. I only have a single LNBF so it looks like I'll have to use standby mode. Can you tell me more about standby mode? Do I have to set the master receiver to that or does it just go into it if you are using the secondary receiver? Does it just mean you can't change channels at the same time?

To put your Merc in standby mode, just turn it off via the remote control or front panel power button. That's all there is to it. Your 2nd receiver will then have full control of the dish.

So there is no way of viewing channels on the receivers simultaneously unless you have a dual lnb? For instance I'm watching tv downstairs and my wife is watching tv upstairs, we can't watch different shows at the same time?

So there is no way of viewing channels on the receivers simultaneously unless you have a dual lnb? For instance I'm watching tv downstairs and my wife is watching tv upstairs, we can't watch different shows at the same time?
You can watch different channels on the separate receivers, but you can only watch channels on the same polarity transponders. If you look on a chart that lists your channels with their transponder/polarity information, as long as both channels are V (vertical) or H (horizontal), then you can watch both of them at the same time. You can not watch a channel that is on a vertical polarity at the same time as one on an horizontal polarity, unless you have a dual lnb.

I've heard other people talking about using a band-stacked LNB to acheive this, so, maybe someone else will chime in to confirm this.

The best way would be to run a 2nd coax from the dish to the 2nd receiver. If you do it this way, you would have a hard time adding a motor if you ever decide you want to view multiple satellites. I have 2 STB's hooked up to 1 motorized dish, but I never use both of them at the same time, just one or the other.

Thanks guys! According to lumpkin666 it sounds like I'll be ok. The channels I'm watching are all on the same transponder and polarity.

Another solutions would be to replace your LNBF with a dual output LNBF. run a second cable to the basement or a central location in your house. The Connect the two cable plus your CATV cable (if you have one) to a 3x4 Multiswitch. The switch will then give you 4 outputs for connect up to 4 receivers. Each receiver will have full control of the dish independent of the other receivers.

I've heard other people talking about using a band-stacked LNB to acheive this, so, maybe someone else will chime in to confirm this.

if you use a bandstacked LNB, all channels are on the same polarity. The H side they "stack" above the V polarity so you could get both with just a satellite splitter.

with a stationary dish on 10r, could i just connect a second receiver to the loop out of the first?

if you use a bandstacked LNB, all channels are on the same polarity. The H side they "stack" above the V polarity so you could get both with just a satellite splitter.
Would two bandstacked LNBs (with switches and splitters) on a Glorystar dish provide signal to multiple receivers? If I read your post correctly, then I would think so. I've read your other post discussing the two different ways to deal with bandstacked signals...

Would two bandstacked LNBs (with switches and splitters) on a Glorystar dish provide signal to multiple receivers?
Two bandstacked FSS LNBs, and nothing more than a common Dish DP-34 switch , would run up to four receivers, and be expandable to 8 or 12 with more DP34's (@ free to $20 ea, surplus).

I was going to suggest that on the Glorystar forum last year as a temporary solution 'till they got the monoblocks, but dropped the idea because that's more an end-user forum.
Highly technical ideas and complexed solutions didn't seem so appropriate over there.

Two bandstacked FSS LNBs, and nothing more than a common Dish DP-34 switch (free to $20 surplus), would run up to four receivers, and be expandable to 8 or 12 with more DP34's.

I was going to suggest that on the Glorystar forum last year as a temporary solution 'till they got the monoblocks, but dropped the idea because that's more an end-user forum.
Highly technical ideas and complexed solutions didn't seem so appropriate over there.
What a happy coincidence - I have a spare DP-34 in my spare parts bin! I had no idea that the Echostar version of DiSeqC could be used in an FTA configuration. Cool!
I suppose the JVI version of the DP-34 that diplexes an OTA antenna feed could also be used... Interesting!

What a happy coincidence - I have a spare DP-34 in my spare parts bin! I had no idea that the Echostar version of DiSeqC could be used in an FTA configuration. Cool!
I suppose the JVI version of the DP-34 that diplexes an OTA antenna feed could also be used... Interesting!

yep the DP34 works great with stacked KU LNB"s
they are set up as Diseqc port 1,2,3 :)

Two bandstacked FSS LNBs, and nothing more than a common Dish DP-34 switch , would run up to four receivers, and be expandable to 8 or 12 with more DP34's (@ free to $20 ea, surplus).

WHOA! Where do I find bandstacked LNB's that fit the Glorystar spacing.... My search skills and internet speed (lack of) have kept me from finding what I am looking for!

Yes, the JVI 35DN34 switch will work just fine with bandstacked LNBFs. It has a 4th input for your OFF AIR or CATV signal so that you can distribute it to your TVs through the same cables (diplexers will need to be used on each end at the TV side).

Search only the FTA department for the word bandstacked and by author JerryT
You should find plenty of food for thought.
If you need more, search for bandstacked by author Anole. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts