Multiple receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
In what ways could one accommodate multiple receivers? I know of the following, but they are kind of limited in my opinion:

- Use the loop-through port on your existing receiver if equipped with one. Then the slave receiver is limited to the polarity and LNB the master is currently using. Also only works best when both receivers are in close proximity.

- Use dual LNBs (and two switches if needed). Then you can only have two totally independent receivers. Unless there are "quad" LNBs. But then you could end up with 4 switches which makes for a nasty mess of cables.

(Disregard the complexity of motoring for now)

Would E* (legacy only maybe) or D* switches work? Like in E* terms, I don't know exactly what models are out there, but they have SWxy and DPxy units going from "x" LNB sources to "y" number of receivers.

Ive got 4 receivers running off one dual LNB

Dual LNB would give you independence of each other (except for it being on same satellite). If you want both to have KU & DBS, you can set it up as such
-dual KU for FTA
-dual DBS for DBS
-2 DiSEqC 2x1 switches

both could get dbs or KU (as long as its on the satellite)

my setup is....here goes
-Dual KU LNBF...one output goes to a 4x1 switch (motor is between them). The other 3 ports are 91, 119 and 110 for now. All this goes to the 1500. The Toshiba TRX-1420 analog is slaved to that. Whatever polarity the Pansat is on, the Tosiba follows. If the Pansat is off, The Toshiba defaults to Horizontal.
-Other port goes to a high frequency splitter. One output goes to the Viacast, the other goes to the Uniden Supra analog (DC block on this port). The Uniden is defaulted to Veritcal polarity. When I turn on the Viacast, whatever polarity thats on the UNiden would follow.

next project is taking both lines and running it to a 3x4 switch (like for DirectTv) and running receivers off there. Only problem is all ports somehow default to Horizontal polarity, and that wouldnt work if I wanted one analog for V polarity and one for H polarity.

TuxCoder said:
- Use the loop-through port on your existing receiver if equipped with one. Then the slave receiver is limited to the polarity and LNB the master is currently using. Also only works best when both receivers are in close proximity.
true...works good for analog/digital combos
- Use dual LNBs (and two switches if needed). Then you can only have two totally independent receivers. Unless there are "quad" LNBs. But then you could end up with 4 switches which makes for a nasty mess of cables.
I have seen a quad LNB...but easier is a dual LNBF and a 3x4 multiswitch
Would E* (legacy only maybe) or D* switches work? Like in E* terms, I don't know exactly what models are out there, but they have SWxy and DPxy units going from "x" LNB sources to "y" number of receivers.
DirectV 3x4 switch works
no dish network ones work...tried them
Dish Legacy singles & duals work. Direct singles & Duals work. Dish Twins don't (dur to the incompatibe switch)

So a D* switch would work then? It sounds like your setup is a combination of the two methods I mentioned above, except for the splitter. I've read that's doable also but didn't mention that since that's what the loop-through method is doing. But using your own splitter removes the "close proximity" clause. :)

Ok, here's one for you. Suppose I have a dual Ku and a dual DBS. I understand the switch's need for dual and its two connections so the switch can set one connection to one polarity and the other to the other. But then does that mean I need all four LNB connections going to the switch? Like a DirecTV 4x4 switch, or am I missing something? Also, how would you then configure the receiver to select the right LNB and polarity, using the switch?

TuxCoder said:
So a D* switch would work then? It sounds like your setup is a combination of the two methods I mentioned above, except for the splitter. I've read that's doable also but didn't mention that since that's what the loop-through method is doing. But using your own splitter removes the "close proximity" clause. :)

yep and yep

a DirectTv 3x4 switch does work. All four ports can utilize v or h polarity.

Yep. Since the Pansat (and the vcr) sit on top of the Toshiba, its looped through. The Viacast & Uniden are 4 feet from each other, but the Viacast doesnt have a loop out, so the splitter is the substitute

TuxCoder said:
Ok, here's one for you. Suppose I have a dual Ku and a dual DBS. I understand the switch's need for dual and its two connections so the switch can set one connection to one polarity and the other to the other. But then does that mean I need all four LNB connections going to the switch? Like a DirecTV 4x4 switch, or am I missing something? Also, how would you then configure the receiver to select the right LNB and polarity, using the switch?

I dont think its possible. The only way to have, say 3 receivers, use both KU & DBS would be easily done as such
-make the DBS dish fixed.
-a 3x4 switch for the KU and a 3x4 switch for DBS
-on the outputs of each one, connect a DiSEqC 2x1 switch, connecting both KU and DBS. Each receiver would get this
-Select LNB1 or LNB2 depending on which LNB you are going off of.

(Ive never tried this, but it should work)

I see, good ideas there.
That would be a bitchin setup. :cool:

That setup makes sense to me, but I'm a little confused now on something. There is no way to use a DirecTV switch for multiple LNBs and be able to set the receiver up to select an LNB and polarity? Or would the receiver be able to make use of DiSEqC commands (port numbers) or 22KHz tone? Sorry if I'm taxing your brain too much on a Monday.

TuxCoder said:
I see, good ideas there.

That setup makes sense to me, but I'm a little confused now on something. There is no way to use a DirecTV switch for multiple LNBs and be able to set the receiver up to select an LNB and polarity? Or would the receiver be able to make use of DiSEqC commands (port numbers) or 22KHz tone? Sorry if I'm taxing your brain too much on a Monday.

You can use a 22KHZ switch in place of the DiSEqC 2x1 switch.

I dont think its possible to hook up 2 separate LNB's to a directv multiswitch

TuxCoder said:
I see, good ideas there.

actually found something that would work

zinwell.jpg

If you look at the top, it says 13, 18, 13+22k and 18+22k

I know my Viacast can allow that for polarity, I'm assuming the Pansat can too :)

saw it at www.dishstore.net

Yeah I was poking around there too to get a feel for what's available. What exactly does a 22KHz switch do? (probably my last question)

:smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :lick :yes :)
zinwell.jpg

Just remembered, I know it's used to select the high band of a universal LNB. Any other purpose?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)