Multiple tuners used to record back to back shows on same channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What do you mean by fix the channels that you get? As in add more to their lineup?
no
With Directv's "channels I get" it is notorious for putting in channels you DON'T get. The main difference between Directv and Dish (at least when I had Dish) is Dish only shows your local RSN (I dont know how it is in the kangaroo) unless you have multisport. Directv shows you ALL RSN's and it doesnt understand what one(s) you get so it puts all of them (well most) in the CIG.

TiVo actually still has this problem also...
which irks me too as one station I record (Justice Network) they run about 30 seconds past the top/bottom so I need to pad 1 minute extra. Since one show is on back to back then it ties up 2 tuners for a minute

which irks me too as one station I record (Justice Network) they run about 30 seconds past the top/bottom so I need to pad 1 minute extra. Since one show is on back to back then it ties up 2 tuners for a minute

What is really irritating is that the last few minutes of shows used to be commercials. It was about the time DVRs came about that they started running the shows right up to the end & beginning.

Reactions: Mr Tony
no
With Directv's "channels I get" it is notorious for putting in channels you DON'T get. The main difference between Directv and Dish (at least when I had Dish) is Dish only shows your local RSN (I dont know how it is in the kangaroo) unless you have multisport. Directv shows you ALL RSN's and it doesnt understand what one(s) you get so it puts all of them (well most) in the CIG.
Well that's just dumb. And the hopper will only show channels you are subscribed to and unblocked, in "my channels".

But yeah, there should be a technical way to record the overlap using one tuner and splicing the recorded overlap onto two recordings.

This is am exactly what all directv DVRs do, works perfect! Can even record up to 3 hrs over on back to backs to backs on a single tuner. Which looks odd in the playlist as it will appear to be recording more than 2 things at once(I have seen 4) on a 2 tuner dvr.

The directv UI could use an update though but it does work.

This is am exactly what all directv DVRs do, works perfect! Can even record up to 3 hrs over on back to backs to backs on a single tuner. Which looks odd in the playlist as it will appear to be recording more than 2 things at once(I have seen 4) on a 2 tuner dvr.
agreed. Most I had at once on a Genie was 9 things (due to the 1 minute early/1 minute late overlap)

no

Yeah, that's what it does all right. And if that was all, it wouldn't be the pisser it is. Because it doesn't know which channels you actually get, it will record channels you don't get even though you won't be able to watch those recordings.

For overlap recording, the software/hardware would have to write 2 streams for each overlapped tuner (probably not contemplated in the single-stream-per-tuner design.)
We'll all agree the old sharp cut was annoying as it missed and messed more often than not but was a necessity of a single tuner being available. For some channels PTAT is the alternative--sort it out later. -Ken

Is it patent related ? I'd think that TiVo has the most patents related to DVRs and Dish has a license to those now.
Based on the relatively competent handling of back-to-back recordings that DIRECTV's DVRs do, I'd guess the patent came from Replay and DIRECTV now owns it.

Tivo can't do it. It grabs two tuners if you have an overlap

neither my series 3 HD or Roamio OTA can do that. It grabs both tuners. Tivo does have the option to "clip" a program. Use to use that on the Series3 (which only had two tuners)
Would record undercover boss at 7 and Last Man Standing at 7. There would be a hockey game on at 7:30 but LMS runs til 7:31. The Tivo has the option to start the timer at 7:31 for the hockey game

Reactions: Tampa8
I have long thought there needs to be an easy way to start a program late. It can be done with a manual timer on the VIP, I do it all the time with programs where the begining isn't important to make sure a program that goes a little late gets recorded.

yeah the "clip" option will do that up to 5 minutes of the lower priority program. For my hockey game example its fine as the 1st minute is usually just "tonight's hockey game is sponsored by"

Reactions: Tampa8
I have long thought there needs to be an easy way to start a program late. It can be done with a manual timer on the VIP, I do it all the time with programs where the begining isn't important to make sure a program that goes a little late gets recorded.
Can do the manual timer on the hopper

Another thing I wish hopper would do.. When you're watching a recording and when it's done, you can't rewind the channel that's running in the background. Ex: say I'm watching the evening news and then start a 30 minute show on the dvr. When that show is done and deleted and I'm back to live TV, I can't rewind the news I was watching before the dvr show I just watched. Why not? That's something you're able to do on DirecTV also...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Lt Disher
Dish seems to have dropped the live TV buffer (years ago) while a recording is going on, presumably because of excessive HDD "wear and tear".

So I am going to start with that I really like the Hopper and Joey setup, but I have one big complaint. Since I have had it (over 2.5 years) every time we have back to back recordings it takes 2 tuners to record for the 4 minutes while the recordings overlap. With all of the technology in the PTAT that records 4 channels at once on one tuner how is it that they can not make this work. I have called several times to advanced tech support and they agree that it is an issue but no one knows if they are even working on fixing the issue. Is there someone we can contact about this issue to let them know this is a big headache and get it in front of the development team to fix?

Hi

This is Vivek - i work in the product team here at DISH.

Trying to understand your issue. Can you please let me know

1. Have you changed the factory defaults for timers (should be start 1 minute early, end 3 minutes late)
2. Are the shows on the same channel or on separate channels

Thanks

Reactions: ChadT41
Vivek, I can elaborate on the issue on my end with a 722. I purposefully set my timer defaults to 2 min early, 2 min late to ensure that the overlaps do get recorded and there are no hard cuts between recordings. In that case, two tuners are necessary to facilitate that, especially if the two programs are on different channels. But if the shows are back-to-back on the same channel, we feel that an enhancement should be feasible that the timer overlap could be recorded by one tuner and "spliced" onto the end of the first program and the beginning of the second program.

Hope this makes sense.

Reactions: ChadT41
Hi

This is Vivek - i work in the product team here at DISH.

Trying to understand your issue. Can you please let me know

1. Have you changed the factory defaults for timers (should be start 1 minute early, end 3 minutes late)
2. Are the shows on the same channel or on separate channels

Thanks
Hello Vivek.
This was a hot hot topic for the knowledgeable and unknowledgeable folks using the hopper. If the recordings are back to back on the same channel, it will use two tuners for the 1 minute before and 3 minutes after. It would be GREAT if it used the one tuner for both shows, on the same channel, similar in regard to how PTAT just records the block of space, rather than individual shows. The other part of it, is if you are recording on tuner 1, and watching on tuner 2, with tuner 3 available, and a recording is about to start, it will try to take over tuner 2, rather then float to tuner 3. I assume this is with the setting that the recording is setup for the tuners(Daily schedule will show tuner 1, 2, or 3, and that is the one being used by the 'takeover). Just my two cents...hope it makes more sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)