multiswitch questions 18x20 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

okaydave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Recently I had an 18x20 dish installed. 2 of the outputs are run to my HD Tivo and the other two are connected to 2 standard Hughes receivers. I want to add another TV; therefore I will need to add a multi switch. I have a few questions regarding a multiswitch and the addition of another standard receiver.

1. I have seen many 5x8 multiswitches. Is there one that is better than others?
2. I know that the 4 coaxs that run from the satellite go to the multiswitch. Does it matter what input they get connected to on the multiswitch or is there a certain order they need to get connected?
3. Should I buy the additional standard receiver from Directv or can I buy one from Ebay? If I buy one from Ebay, is it better to buy one that is brand new and unopened with the access card included?

Thanks for your help!

okaydave hopefully this answers your questions.
1.all of the switches are about the same in quality
2.it does not matter what order you hook up the 4 coax cables going to the LNB
3.if you call directv and ask they may give you a receiver free and it comes with a new access card(you may have to commit for a year or get lucky and not have to)
well i hope this has helped......................DIGITAL~DAN

If you buy a receiver off of Ebay even if it's unopened Directv will force you to buy a new access card.

The card packed with that receiver should be valid for activation. That dealer must be desparate to unload those receivers. If I read that correctly that price is valid only for existing Directv customers & shipping is free.

boba said:
The card packed with that receiver should be valid for activation. That dealer must be desparate to unload those receivers. If I read that correctly that price is valid only for existing Directv customers & shipping is free.

How would I know if a card is valid for activation?

it has to be "virgin"...never been in the stream. If it was activated, Direct would need to send you a new card (and charge you for it)

I got a Tivo upgrade this past weekend and they included a multi switch in the whole thing. All for Free(with exception of the $14.95 handling fee). :)

Retention department is your best bet. 800-600-8977, they answer right away without going thru the usual menu. :) :)

Tonedeaf said:
I got a Tivo upgrade this past weekend and they included a multi switch in the whole thing. All for Free(with exception of the $14.95 handling fee). :)

Retention department is your best bet. 800-600-8977, they answer right away without going thru the usual menu. :) :)

I have only been a subscriber for a few weeks now. I am sure they wouldnt give me a free Tivo...would they? They said I can buy one for $99 which includes installation and a multiswitch. What kind of multiswitch was included?

You can also do their 3 payments of $33 too if you didn't want to pay the $99 route.

I wouldn't bug customer retention for a free one too often.

I have an additional question. I currently have a dual LNB with round dish with a 4X8 multi-switch, but recently upgraded to an HD Receiver. Once I decide to finish the upgrade and get the HD dish, will i need to change the multi-switch? I have 2 connections going to a SD Tivo and 1 connection going to HD receiver and 1 connection going to SD receiver.

kevstok said:
I have an additional question. I currently have a dual LNB with round dish with a 4X8 multi-switch, but recently upgraded to an HD Receiver. Once I decide to finish the upgrade and get the HD dish, will i need to change the multi-switch? I have 2 connections going to a SD Tivo and 1 connection going to HD receiver and 1 connection going to SD receiver.

Welcome!!

If the multisiwtch is cascadable, it will work. You would hook the 4 lines from the Phase III dish into the 4 lines on the multiswitch and hook receivers to that :)

Neutron said:
You can also do their 3 payments of $33 too if you didn't want to pay the $99 route.

I wouldn't bug customer retention for a free one too often.

I tried to purchase the Tivo unit online, but it didnt give me the option of 3 payments of $33. Do I have to call them for that?

okaydave said:
I tried to purchase the Tivo unit online, but it didnt give me the option of 3 payments of $33. Do I have to call them for that?

Yes, you need to call them for this. Remember it's actually 3 payments of $33 plus the one time $14.95.

You need to talk to the Installation dept. The normal CSRs cant help with this.

Neutron said:
Yes, you need to call them for this. Remember it's actually 3 payments of $33 plus the one time $14.95.

You need to talk to the Installation dept. The normal CSRs cant help with this.

Thanks. I just called them and got the three payments. Install is set for Sat morning. Thanks for your help.

I got in on this deal too. This makes 2 tivo's for me. This is replacing the last standard receiver so when it's installed I will have an HD receiver and two Tivos. I'm getting a 5X8 multiswitch free too. :) Since I can't use my OTA antenna outside because of our building in the way of the towers I'm going to rerun that cable to the second tuner of our current Directivo.

I've never had a problem with a previously activated card - I activated my work unit (Sony HD Box - customer return (activated on a dealer account) and a used box that I had purchased from someone, just called them up and said "I want to do this" and they've always told me "ok"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts