New Tivo for me :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tonedeaf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Rockwall, TX
Just got a Tivo on Saturday. Was fun learning how to use. I am sure there is a lot I don't know that it can do. Disabled the "Let Tivo decide what to record function". My daughter set a recording of one of her kids shows Saturday afternoon while we were out and came back to about 10 shows recorded, of course they were all kids shows.

Love having the NFL highlights on my Tivo this morning. That is too cool.

Congrats!! I've grown very fond of my Directivo. For me it's way better than DISH's version. It's so easy to use my wife can actually use it, and she's not a techie at all (which makes buying new tech products difficult).

Tonedeaf said:
Disabled the "Let Tivo decide what to record function". My daughter set a recording of one of her kids shows Saturday afternoon while we were out and came back to about 10 shows recorded, of course they were all kids shows.

This function is kind of scarey at first but I personally think it is one of the items that sets Tivo ahead of the rest. Let it do its thing and record suggestions to watch. You won't lose any space on the drive because these are the first to be erased when space is needed and they will not preempt a scheduled recording. Use the THUMBS UP/THUMBS DOWN buttons to tell Tivo what you like. This is what I have done and on many summer re-run nights when I didn't have anything else that I planned to watch, I found something interesting in those suggestions.

I agree with beejaycee: TiVo's suggestions, when working properly (and really, it just takes a bit for it to "learn" who you are), is excellent - there's ALWAYS something to watch! If you're afraid of the suggestions being stuff you don't like, simply turn them off, and check out what it would record by visiting the "Pick Programs to Record" -> "TiVo Suggestions" menu. It takes about 6 weeks of consistant thumbing for it to work properly. A thumb tip: Use thumbs down conservatively. Don't give three thumbs down unless you dislike the GENRE. TiVo will not record a particular show if it has one thumbs down. Three locks it out from recording anything even remotely like it.

I've had a standalone TiVo for almost 5 years (March, 2000) and a DishPlayer 522 for two months. I dislike the DishPlayer so much that I'm switching to D* tomorrow to get a DirecTV TiVo.

I had suggestions on for over a year and just upgraded to the DVR80 and the list get's so long that I turned it off and now check out the what would be recorded and see if there is something that i like.

geneb11 said:
I had suggestions on for over a year and just upgraded to the DVR80 and the list get's so long that I turned it off and now check out the what would be recorded and see if there is something that i like.
Definitely a workable alternative but one that requires forethought and planning, neither of which I'm very good at when it comes to watching TV. :D A long list of recorded programs doesn't bother me since the "suggestions" list comes after the recordings I have set up. I guess it's not for everyone but "I likes me some Tivo suggestions!" :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)