Must reboot to get picture and sound

dlm10541

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 31, 2004
Carmel NY
Since the change to 726 I only get the program guide initially on turning on the stb. I must reboot to get picture and sound but then no program guide.

A CSR said they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution with no known timetable.

Can anyone offer a solution. I have caller ID turned off but the phone line is connected. Will leaving the box on help? The CSR said it must be in standby to receive updates which I do not believe is true

Actually, I think that IS true. They'll try and deliver the update, but if you're actually watching something, I think they then go in to "retry" mode for awhile.

Might want to just unplug the phone line completely, eliminate as much stuff as possible.

I also think that when you reboot, it wipes out the PG, and takes another 20-40mins to reload it.

Lob

dlm10541 said:
Since the change to 726 I only get the program guide initially on turning on the stb. I must reboot to get picture and sound...
This is strange. Could you give us some more details about your problem?
What happens when you press ChUp/Down? Can you tune to an OTA channel without rebooting? Does this happen every morning?

problem soved with U.P.S. in circuit

Howdy,

What voom does not tell you is that the Motorola Satalite receiver is very prone to electrical transmission line glitces and disturbences and line voltage shifts. the only way to illimate this problem is to buy and inexpernsive
Universal Power Supply U.P.S. battery backup at the computer store and plug your satalite box into the clean and conditioned power provided from the U.P.S. circuit which is voltaged regulated, conditioned and effetivly clean power... something that is essential and your wall out let does not provide.

my unites are battery backup 1000 VA or higher bor both my HD TV and motorola Voom Sat reveiver for protection.

Voomster

Yes it happens each time I turn on the STB. Functioning program guide but black screen and no sound. Box is frozen-other than program guide nothing functions-up/down etc. Can not even turn it back off via the remote.

After soft reboot picture and sound are back and I realize it will take time for program guide to reload.

I am using component out so not a DVI issue. Was functioning OK with old software with occasional freeze up on rapid surfing.

Phone line is connected but caller ID is "off". I share this with my landlord and I dont know what he is experiencing.

Based on other threads I suspect the caller ID is the culprit and will disconnect phone line tonight to see what happens.

I had the same problem

Here is how I fixed it...

1. Turned the box off and unplugged.
  2. DISCONNECTed the phone cord
  3. Plugged-in and re-started the box
  4. Made sure caller id is off

Can't say that this is going to work for you but I think it is worth a try. I think, it is the phone line... Something gets screwed when an incoming call comes (even if caller id is turned off):yes

Voomster said:
Howdy,

What voom does not tell you is that the Motorola Satalite receiver is very prone to electrical transmission line glitces and disturbences and line voltage shifts. the only way to illimate this problem is to buy and inexpernsive
Universal Power Supply U.P.S. battery backup at the computer store and plug your satalite box into the clean and conditioned power provided from the U.P.S. circuit which is voltaged regulated, conditioned and effetivly clean power... something that is essential and your wall out let does not provide.

my unites are battery backup 1000 VA or higher bor both my HD TV and motorola Voom Sat reveiver for protection.

Voomster
I dont have a UPS but do have surge suppression for my complete system. I dont need the batteryback up.

If I lose power I just go to bed where its warm. :D

UPDATE

I disconnected the phone line and did a hard reboot. Had picture but no epg of course. Turned STB off. Turned on again in an hour and everything came on properly. Seems phone line may be the problem. Will try for a few days and report back.

A UPS (batter back up) is really a good thing to have. I have my big screen and had my other sat receiver plugged into one. If there is the slightest line spike this will stop it in its tracks. I heard the spike warning at least 4 or 5 times a week when I lived in Maryland. Especially during a storm. There is alot of things going on in your power wires in your house that you dont know about until something stops working. Surge suppressors wont give the protection that a UPS will. A UPS is inexpensive and very good insurance for high end electronics.

A UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) is a combination of battery back-up and surge suppression. I agree totally that good surge suppression is advisable on electronic components however it is available as a standalone device with out battery back up.

An inexpensive UPS does not necessarily have good surge suppression. You need to look at the let-through specs.

It is my opinion that a UPS is more appropriate for a computer system where unexpected shut downs can occer

Success

After removing the phone line from the STB and rebooting I have had no problems turning on the STB :) :) :)

dlm10541 said:
After removing the phone line from the STB and rebooting I have had no problems turning on the STB :) :) :)
Glad that it worked for you too :)

Our receiver worked flawlessly since the update until 12/08/04 with an odd lock-up. Now it appears to be having the same issue every day.

When I get home from work I turn the tv on and the receiver appears to be working though I have not turned it on, nor is the light green or red on the receiver to indicate that it is turned on. Sometimes the channel appears to be working but you cannot change the channel via any method, guide appears to work. Other times the screen is frozen in time, sound is working, but you cannot change the channel, guide works. Each time this happens, we have to unplug to reset the receiver. CallerID has not worked since this problem started on 12/7 or 12/8, not sure of the exact day.

We can live with the reboots but no CallerID really is a drag.

Will try unplugging the phone line to see if that solves daily lock-ups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)